COVID in hindsight!

Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:37 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:26 pm All I feel is that it exposed people for being completely selfish or stupid. I mean, I knew the majority of the population was kind of dumb, I just didn't realize how F***ing dumb....and the worst part is they don't realize it. It also made me astutely aware of how many people don't practice basic hygiene. People are F***ing nasty.
I wondered this as well. I mean the cleaning aisle's were empty, hand soap was impossible to get. I felt like yelling "what in the world were you guys using prior to this." I had an assortment of cleaning products, and enough hand soap to stock a small country (thank you bath and body semi-annual sale). It seemed like a lot of people did not purchase these products till that day.
Oh around here it was TP and hand sanitizer that disappeared first.........Like the CDC was saying "Wash your hands" and y'all are wiping your asses for the first time.....like WTF. I was anticipating the soap to fly off the shelves, but no....after TP and sanitizer it was........bottled water.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What in particular does he feel lied to about? We know people who lost loved ones, so we do feel strongly about covid, but we try not to sit in anger about things in general and instead try to use it to learn for the future.

But in general telling someone that they are being dramatic or overreacting when they are upset tends to just make them more upset. It may be why he continues to bring it up, because he doesn’t feel like he’s being understood or heard. With my husband if he keeps circling on something we’ve already discussed and that we can’t change by discussing further, I tell him that I hear that he’s upset and I am sorry, but we’ve gotten as far as we can on this topic so it might be time to talk to someone else if he’s still feeling like he can’t move past it, and then he talks to his therapist. Because of the stigma, men don’t tend to utilize therapy nearly as much as they should, so instead they tend to just emotionally dump on the women in their lives.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:46 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:26 pm All I feel is that it exposed people for being completely selfish or stupid. I mean, I knew the majority of the population was kind of dumb, I just didn't realize how F***ing dumb....and the worst part is they don't realize it. It also made me astutely aware of how many people don't practice basic hygiene. People are F***ing nasty.
I wondered this as well. I mean the cleaning aisle's were empty, hand soap was impossible to get. I felt like yelling "what in the world were you guys using prior to this." I had an assortment of cleaning products, and enough hand soap to stock a small country (thank you bath and body semi-annual sale). It seemed like a lot of people did not purchase these products till that day.
Oh around here it was TP and hand sanitizer that disappeared first.........Like the CDC was saying "Wash your hands" and y'all are wiping your asses for the first time.....like WTF. I was anticipating the soap to fly off the shelves, but no....after TP and sanitizer it was........bottled water.
I had a number of people comment about how my family all wash our hands before eating during covid, like it was some new thing, and I would just be like, we have always done this…. Do you see where little kids stick their fingers everyday? Do you really need a pandemic to realize you don’t want that in your food?
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:11 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:56 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 12:29 pm

It's funny...what I learned is that human beings are more selfish than I ever believed possible and will fight to have tiny freedoms at the expense of other people's lives. Social responsibility is a concept that's as dead as the Dodo and it was replaced by the idea of personal freedom. "it won't kill me so f**k every person it could kill".
Ok. Then I’ll guess I’ll mark you down as one of the ones that thought bodily autonomy was not as important as “the greater good”
Define bodily autonomy. I believe that the choice to vaccinate should be up to the individual in consult with their doctor. I believe that being told to wear a mask is the same thing as being told to wear a shirt or shoes.
“ Get this vaccine, it doesn’t matter if you think enough testing has been done, either get it or lose your job, your ability to utilize the public works you pay taxes for and the ability to shop for food without a computer. If you don’t have a computer/ can’t afford internet- go die alone. And also, no more medical privacy allowed, show your vaccine card or explain your allergies every time you are in public”
AZOldGal66
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I learned that not all conspiracy theories should be ignored.

Case in point....Covid and "super" viruses that had been predicted for years to be " coming our way" that could harm millions if not kill them.

And I learned that while masks were a PITA, the surgical masks combined with the vaccine and other health standards at that time assisted in saving many lives.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 1:46 pm
I'm a grocery hoarder so I had a very well stocked store put up. I pretty much didn't need anything lol.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:03 pm

Ok. Then I’ll guess I’ll mark you down as one of the ones that thought bodily autonomy was not as important as “the greater good”
Define bodily autonomy. I believe that the choice to vaccinate should be up to the individual in consult with their doctor. I believe that being told to wear a mask is the same thing as being told to wear a shirt or shoes.
“ Get this vaccine, it doesn’t matter if you think enough testing has been done, either get it or lose your job, your ability to utilize the public works you pay taxes for and the ability to shop for food without a computer. If you don’t have a computer/ can’t afford internet- go die alone. And also, no more medical privacy allowed, show your vaccine card or explain your allergies every time you are in public”
I didn't agree with any of that. A person has the right to decide what is put INTO their body.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Where did you experience those things?
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Were there grocery stores that required proof of vaccine? I don't remember that. I just remember stores requiring masks. And I know different experiences were had in different states but I can't remember one single time that I was required to show my vaccine card. I always had it but I never had to show it to anyone.

To be clear, I believe that being forced to get a vaccine and being forced to wear a mask are very different things. For conversation purposes the two should not be muddled together.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic