10,200 deaths each year are the direct result of an eating disorder—that’s one death every 52 minutes.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

https://anad.org/eating-disorder-statistic/

Eating disorders affect people of every age, race, size, gender identity, sexual orientation and background. Learn more about the populations affected—including BIPOC, LGBTQ+, people with disabilities and people in larger bodies

At age 6 to 10, girls start to worry about their weight, and by 14, 60 to 70% are trying to lose weight.

A survey found that 77% of children and adolescents as young as 12 dislike their bodies, and 45% say they are regularly bullied about how they look.

Weight-related teasing is a primary way kids are bullied, and kids in bigger bodies are significantly more likely to be bullied than their smaller-bodied classmates.

Girls who were teased about their weight were two times more likely to be “overweight,” 1.5 times more likely to binge eat, and 1.5 times more likely to use extreme methods of weight control five years later.

… girls all over our country need help feeling ok with themselves and the bodies they are in.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Disordered eating is also not always anorexia, bulimia, etc. and can be caused by other disorders such as autism, ocd, anxiety, etc. and are not just a matter of someone deciding not to eat in order to lose weight.

My husband had disordered eating that went on way too long because he was healthy and it wasn’t due to body image, so it was always encouraged.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 4:12 pm Disordered eating is also not always anorexia, bulimia, etc. and can be caused by other disorders such as autism, ocd, anxiety, etc. and are not just a matter of someone deciding not to eat in order to lose weight.

My husband had disordered eating that went on way too long because he was healthy and it wasn’t due to body image, so it was always encouraged.
This is very true, often misunderstood, and why ANAD separated their stats by groups affected. My son had a co-occurring eating disorder with Autism. My daughter had a co-occurring eating disorder with ADHD. I had an eating disorder as a teen in the 70s because my mother wanted me to look like twiggy.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I weighed 78 pounds in 1997. I was pretty much a skeleton.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:20 pm I weighed 78 pounds in 1997. I was pretty much a skeleton.
I’m sorry you had to go through that. My lowest weight was 82 when I was 21 years old. I was put into rehab for it.

I also think you should be proud of yourself for how far you’ve come.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Both of our daughter's have struggled with an ED in the past and both feel that while recovery can be obtained, that the desire to return to that ED can still rest in the back of their minds.

For each of them, it was different sets of reasons why they did this.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:25 pm
Della wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:20 pm I weighed 78 pounds in 1997. I was pretty much a skeleton.
I’m sorry you had to go through that. My lowest weight was 82 when I was 21 years old. I was put into rehab for it.

I also think you should be proud of yourself for how far you’ve come.
Thank you 😊
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic