Katie Britt proposes federal database to collect data on pregnant people

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Katie Britt, the Republican US senator from Alabama best known for delivering a widely ridiculed State of the Union speech in March, marked the run-up to Mother’s Day on Sunday by introducing a bill to create a federal database to collect data on pregnant people.

The More Opportunities for Moms to Succeed (Moms) act proposes to establish an online government database called “pregnancy.gov” listing resources related to pregnancy, including information about adoption agencies and pregnancy care providers, except for those that provide abortion-related services.

The bill specifically forbids any entity that “performs, induces, refers for, or counsels in favor of abortions” from being listed in the database, which would in effect eliminate swaths of OB-GYN services and sexual health clinics across the country."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... ant-people
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I saw this yesterday and looked into it because I was about to be livid… but it’s a misleading title all the news stories are going with.

You don’t have to put in any information, the website is meant to give information and share resources, and it asked for your name and email…

Like all the other websites do, even this one…

You can just put Mrs. Jane Bibblitybap and email [email protected] if you don’t want to give them your information…
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:54 am I saw this yesterday and looked into it because I was about to be livid… but it’s a misleading title all the news stories are going with.

You don’t have to put in any information, the website is meant to give information and share resources, and it asked for your name and email…

Like all the other websites do, even this one…

You can just put Mrs. Jane Bibblitybap and email [email protected] if you don’t want to give them your information…
I'd encourage a lot of spamming 😂😂😂
306/232

WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Do any existing dot gov informational sites request contact information? While one isn't obligated to supply their contact (they shouldn't) just the fact that they ask is concerning.

I also have a problem with a dot gov resource site excluding legal and available resources for pregnant women. Not even sure if that in itself is legal.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

The fact that it purposely omits abortion resources is a major issue for me. It’s like a government sanctioned crisis pregnancy center.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:57 am Do any existing dot gov informational sites request contact information? While one isn't obligated to supply their contact (they shouldn't) just the fact that they ask is concerning.

I also have a problem with a dot gov resource site excluding legal and available resources for pregnant women. Not even sure if that in itself is legal.
The SSA does.
306/232

MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:05 pm The fact that it purposely omits abortion resources is a major issue for me. It’s like a government sanctioned crisis pregnancy center.
The Bill also provides additional funding to "crisis pregnancy centers."

And it attempts to establish child support payments during pregnancy, in an effort to make a zygote or fetus a "child" under the law. IMO the child support requirement - if enacted - could result in more pressure on some women to abort, as it places a burden on men who may not accept or welcome the idea of child support payments during pregnancy.
The bill would require states to apply child support obligations during pregnancy and would launch a website — Pregnancy.gov— with resources related to pregnancy, including information about adoption agencies, but not abortion clinics.

It would also provide grants to anti-abortion non-profits that assist women through their pregnancies and after birth.
https://www.axios.com/2024/05/09/senate ... atie-britt
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I was referred to a pregnancy crisis center once to get an ultrasound because I was uninsured and my doctor thought I needed one. I cannot tell you how horribly I was treated- and I was a married woman intending to keep my baby. Those places are disgusting and appalling.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 2:07 am
WellPreserved wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:57 am Do any existing dot gov informational sites request contact information? While one isn't obligated to supply their contact (they shouldn't) just the fact that they ask is concerning.

The SSA does.
I consider that differently. SS is a federal government program. The proposed website is listing resources so why does the website request contact information? Why would the federal government be contacting you? If it's just for a newsletter, then maybe supply email but not name. I wouldn't recommend it though.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic