ANOTHER incident where 5 children die in a house fire

highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:42 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:54 pm
Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:11 pm So horrific. It makes me wonder if fires are actually getting worse or if it just seems that way because of instant media about it. But the fact that both fires had multiple kids trapped upstairs by the fire - do we need to push PSA's about having fire escape ladders in every upper bedroom? Do we need to have public drives so people can get them for free? Is there some other way to design homes so that children don't get trapped like that?

I don't know what the answer is. I just think it's such a horrible way to die especially for children that there has to be something better we can do.
From the sounds of it the oldest child was 11 the youngest 17 months. Is fire safety not a thing anymore? Every house I’ve lived in we taught the kids how to exit to home and by which route depending on where a fire was. I also check our smoke detectors regularly and replace batteries regularly. How are these fires becoming so intense so quickly? Is this a risk with houses going up quickly? Cheaper building material or old houses that haven’t had things replaced that should be replaced?
I don't know what causes these fires to be so bad. I have my theories in my area - one being we are such a dry environment (AZ). Does the dryness make the wood in the homes that much drier, which makes them burn that much faster? The other is that in my area there are a lot of people in mobile homes or manufactured homes. The fire in my area that took the 5 kids wasn't one but we've had two other fires just in the past couple months, one that took two adult lives, and those were both mobile/manufactured homes. I'm thinking because of their construction they go up quicker than a site built home?

Now, back when I lived in MN the wintertime was bigger fire season for the reason someone else mentioned - alternate risky heating sources. It's why the gas companies back there have very strict laws about shutting peoples gas off during the winter months, because if they don't have gas for their central heat they get desperate and will do anything to create a heat source.

So maybe "common fire causes" is area-dependent.
A huge reason fire spreads so quickly is the synthetic fibers in our furniture, and carpets. I read something that said 50 years ago you had 8 minutes to get out of a burning house, today that number is less than 2 minutes from when the smoke detector sounds. Plus with the synthetic fibers the smoke now contains poisonous gases.

This is the article that states that is also has a interesting small video attached, its from 2013.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/ ... ams%20said.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:26 pm

From the sounds of it the oldest child was 11 the youngest 17 months. Is fire safety not a thing anymore? Every house I’ve lived in we taught the kids how to exit to home and by which route depending on where a fire was. I also check our smoke detectors regularly and replace batteries regularly. How are these fires becoming so intense so quickly? Is this a risk with houses going up quickly? Cheaper building material or old houses that haven’t had things replaced that should be replaced?
I don't know what causes these fires to be so bad. I have my theories in my area - one being we are such a dry environment (AZ). Does the dryness make the wood in the homes that much drier, which makes them burn that much faster? The other is that in my area there are a lot of people in mobile homes or manufactured homes. The fire in my area that took the 5 kids wasn't one but we've had two other fires just in the past couple months, one that took two adult lives, and those were both mobile/manufactured homes. I'm thinking because of their construction they go up quicker than a site built home?

Now, back when I lived in MN the wintertime was bigger fire season for the reason someone else mentioned - alternate risky heating sources. It's why the gas companies back there have very strict laws about shutting peoples gas off during the winter months, because if they don't have gas for their central heat they get desperate and will do anything to create a heat source.

A huge reason fire spreads so quickly is the synthetic fibers in our furniture, and carpets. I read something that said 50 years ago you had 8 minutes to get out of a burning house, today that number is less than 2 minutes from when the smoke detector sounds. Plus with the synthetic fibers the smoke now contains poisonous gases.

This is the article that states that is also has a interesting small video attached, its from 2013.

That was very interesting, and even more scary. Makes me wonder if, as a society, we could find our way back to more natural fibers and products and give up the synthetics. But I think that would mean giving up our ultra-consumerism and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 10:58 am
EarlGrayHot wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:26 am I would have walked through flames to get my daughter. In fact, I would go into a burning building to get my cats! And yes, I have smoke detectors which responsible people have and maintain.
You wouldn’t have gotten to your daughter, you likely would just die. And that child in the icu not only would lose all of their siblings, they would lose their parent. I love my pets, but you’d leave your kids without a parent for a cat who you almost certainly wouldn’t be able to save? Fires spread quickly and smoke detectors don’t always alert in time. There’s no need to try to “I’m a better parent” someone who just lost five children in circumstances you’ve never been in.
I agree, especially with the info that highlandmum just shared. 2 minutes. That's how long you have in a typical modern home from the time the smoke alarm goes off to get out of the house safely. 2 minutes. Barely enough for an individual to get themselves out, much less trying to get anyone else out. I wouldn't blame anyone for not being able to get to another person in the home. It seems like an impossible task to me.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:12 pm
EarlGrayHot wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:26 am I would have walked through flames to get my daughter. In fact, I would go into a burning building to get my cats! And yes, I have smoke detectors which responsible people have and maintain.
You wouldn’t have gotten to your daughter, you likely would just die. And that child in the icu not only would lose all of their siblings, they would lose their parent. I love my pets, but you’d leave your kids without a parent for a cat who you almost certainly wouldn’t be able to save? Fires spread quickly and smoke detectors don’t always alert in time. There’s no need to try to “I’m a better parent” someone who just lost five children in circumstances you’ve never been in.
I agree, especially with the info that highlandmum just shared. 2 minutes. That's how long you have in a typical modern home from the time the smoke alarm goes off to get out of the house safely. 2 minutes. Barely enough for an individual to get themselves out, much less trying to get anyone else out. I wouldn't blame anyone for not being able to get to another person in the home. It seems like an impossible task to me.
I just can’t stand the “why was the parent outside and didn’t go get their kids” comments that these kinds of stories always get. Loving your kid doesn’t mean you can walk through fire and smoke. These parents have had enough devastation without strangers judging that they could have somehow saved them if they cared more.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I just can’t stand the “why was the parent outside and didn’t go get their kids” comments that these kinds of stories always get. Loving your kid doesn’t mean you can walk through fire and smoke. These parents have had enough devastation without strangers judging that they could have somehow saved them if they cared more.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I completely agree. My mother had a house fire before I was born and lost two young children. I can't imagine how she would have felt if the internet had been around back then and she saw that people were blaming her for their deaths. She already blamed herself. 💔
I guess maybe it comforts people to think these things could never happen to them and that's the only reason they would say such things. Even so, I believe some things are better not said aloud.
Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:52 pm

SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

That’s so damn tragic 😔
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:26 pm

Thank you that’s very interesting. I just skimmed, but bookmarked the link to read later.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:52 pm

Right. That's why in the similar incident that happened in my area, multiple neighbors tried to get into the house through the garage but the smoke was so overwhelming that they couldn't get through. I think about when I'm just having a typical campfire and the breeze momentarily blows that smoke in my face, my eyes start watering and I start coughing and I have to get up and move. And that smoke is nothing compared to what a structure fire creates.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic