Why

Anonymous 1

Anonymous 3 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 10:24 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:16 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:13 pm Because passing on the left is safer regardless and should always be the habit.
Following the law and staying to the right except to pass makes that easy and possible. Camping out in the middle lane going 5-10 mph under the speed limit doesn't. Especially if the interstate is busy and everyone is having to go around.
But that doesn't answer my question. We require backup cameras on new cars despite the cost why not on these trucks to eliminate that huge blind spot?
Backup cameras are horrible. Nobody looks to see if anyone's coming from the left or right anymore because they depend on those stupid cameras.
If they're used right or not the technology exists and we even require it on new cars.
Anonymous 3

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 12:34 am

Following the law and staying to the right except to pass makes that easy and possible. Camping out in the middle lane going 5-10 mph under the speed limit doesn't. Especially if the interstate is busy and everyone is having to go around.
But that doesn't answer my question. We require backup cameras on new cars despite the cost why not on these trucks to eliminate that huge blind spot?
Backup cameras are horrible. Nobody looks to see if anyone's coming from the left or right anymore because they depend on those stupid cameras.
If they're used right or not the technology exists and we even require it on new cars.
It's one reason I won't get a new car. I don't want a damn screen in the center of my dashboard. They're ruining radios with those things, too. We don't need screens on everything.
Anonymous 1

Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:14 pm

It's one reason I won't get a new car. I don't want a damn screen in the center of my dashboard. They're ruining radios with those things, too. We don't need screens on everything.
I don't have one but I've driven cars with them and it's not a big deal to me to have it in the car or not.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:17 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 3:14 pm

I don't have one but I've driven cars with them and it's not a big deal to me to have it in the car or not.
Thing is everything is more expensive when something happens and you have these sensors. Windshield replacement without sensors a few hundred dollars not even worth going through insurance but with the sensors you are in the thousands.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:13 pm Because passing on the left is safer regardless and should always be the habit.
I am confused as to how they do not know if people are coming from the right or left then they have motion sensors that alert them?
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:19 pm
RIZZY wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:15 pm If I don't feel comfortable passing a big truck, I just go slower and let them stay far ahead of me.
Its not that I don't feel comfortable passing its that it's a pain to move over 2 lanes then back over 2 lanes with everyone else trying to get past them too because they want to go under the speed limit in the middle lane. If they had a camera I could pass them on the right (maintaining my speed of 5 over the speed limit) without worrying about being in their blind spot.

It probably has to do with how the trucks are built. Most of the trailers for 18 wheelers are completely separate from the cab, whereas cars are all one piece. The cabs/trucks themselves are often owned or leased by one person/company, and the trailers are owned or leased by another company. There are many different types of truck and trailer combos so there may not be any one single outfit that would work with every type of truck and trailer out there.

I just don't see this as a huge inconvenience or pain.
Anonymous 1

RIZZY wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 2:50 pm
RIZZY wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 2:15 pm If I don't feel comfortable passing a big truck, I just go slower and let them stay far ahead of me.
Its not that I don't feel comfortable passing its that it's a pain to move over 2 lanes then back over 2 lanes with everyone else trying to get past them too because they want to go under the speed limit in the middle lane. If they had a camera I could pass them on the right (maintaining my speed of 5 over the speed limit) without worrying about being in their blind spot.

It probably has to do with how the trucks are built. Most of the trailers for 18 wheelers are completely separate from the cab, whereas cars are all one piece. The cabs/trucks themselves are often owned or leased by one person/company, and the trailers are owned or leased by another company. There are many different types of truck and trailer combos so there may not be any one single outfit that would work with every type of truck and trailer out there.

It could be mounted on the side of the truck at an angle that they can see the side of the trailer. It's not difficult to angle a camera.
Its very much a pain when all of the traffic on the interstate is being forced into 1 lane to avoid going slow.
Anonymous 2

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:32 pm

It could be mounted on the side of the truck at an angle that they can see the side of the trailer. It's not difficult to angle a camera.
Its very much a pain when all of the traffic on the interstate is being forced into 1 lane to avoid going slow.
Have you called your state's DOT office?
Anonymous 1

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 7:50 pm

Have you called your state's DOT office?
No I doubt it would do any good.
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

I'm not talking about the mounting. I'm referring to the electrical and the video/monitor wiring from the camera/trailer to the completely separate cab. The blinker lights on the trailer have electrical running from the back of the trailer to the front of the trailer where they have to be plugged into different wiring on the cab. I think it would be more difficult to outfit that with video wiring, especially when the cab and the trailer are owned by two separate people and each being outfitted separately. It sounds like you don't really understand how trucks like this operate. If it were that easy, all cabs and trailers would be doing it already. You think truck drivers want LESS safety?

I still don't think this is that big of a pain. You must have an extremely blissfull life for this to annoy you so much.
Locked Previous topicNext topic