this is ridiculous

stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

here it's $10.79/lb or $10.99/lb for organic. I usually pay less because I buy the roast and cut it myself.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: ↑Sun May 31, 2020 2:19 pm Right?! I like to keep a small stockpile of things like beans and rice but I'd rather pay outrageous prices for meat than eat meat that's been sitting in a freezer. If that makes me a dumbass then I'm okay with that.
MrsDavidB wrote: ↑Sat May 30, 2020 9:09 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: ↑Sat May 30, 2020 5:26 am
Ground beef is 20_23 for 3 lbs.
London broil s 25.00 for 4 lbs

You do realize that the meat processing plants were shut down.
See smart preppers have 350- 400 pounds beef, chicken, pork..etc in several large freezers, dumbasses have to pay crazy prices nowπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Meat that has been frozen for several months...a year? Sounds so appetizing!
Most of the meat you buy in the grocery store has been previously frozen. The best meat to buy is that which is frozen and stays frozen until use. Everyone I know that purchase 1/2 a pig or a cow, the meat is frozen at slaughter time and stays frozen until use. This is much better quality than grocery store meat which has been frozen, then thawed for sale, then used and/or refrozen. Grocery stores also use CO to keep their previously frozen meat looking "fresh".

Of course, meat from a good local butcher is probably the best bet. But if meat (i.e. beef) is appropriately cured (about 2 weeks for beef) and then butchered, vacuum packed, and frozen, it retains its quality for up to 4 months for frozen ground meat and a year for other cuts of meat. This meat is superior to meat that has been previously frozen and then purchased "fresh" from the grocery store.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I don't believe the meat I buy in supermarkets has been previously frozen. Nonetheless, I don't like the texture or the flavour of meat that has sat in a freezer for ages; I've given up on freezing meat years ago.
WellPreserved wrote: ↑Sun May 31, 2020 5:51 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: ↑Sun May 31, 2020 2:19 pm Right?! I like to keep a small stockpile of things like beans and rice but I'd rather pay outrageous prices for meat than eat meat that's been sitting in a freezer. If that makes me a dumbass then I'm okay with that.
MrsDavidB wrote: ↑Sat May 30, 2020 9:09 am

Meat that has been frozen for several months...a year? Sounds so appetizing!
Most of the meat you buy in the grocery store has been previously frozen. The best meat to buy is that which is frozen and stays frozen until use. Everyone I know that purchase 1/2 a pig or a cow, the meat is frozen at slaughter time and stays frozen until use. This is much better quality than grocery store meat which has been frozen, then thawed for sale, then used and/or refrozen. Grocery stores also use CO to keep their previously frozen meat looking "fresh".

Of course, meat from a good local butcher is probably the best bet. But if meat (i.e. beef) is appropriately cured (about 2 weeks for beef) and then butchered, vacuum packed, and frozen, it retains its quality for up to 4 months for frozen ground meat and a year for other cuts of meat. This meat is superior to meat that has been previously frozen and then purchased "fresh" from the grocery store.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: ↑Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm I don't believe the meat I buy in supermarkets has been previously frozen. Nonetheless, I don't like the texture or the flavour of meat that has sat in a freezer for ages; I've given up on freezing meat years ago.

You may not believe that the meat has been previously frozen but it has. How do you think it's transported from processing to grocery store? It has been frozen, thawed, and then refrozen. The addition of CO makes the consumer feel that they have purchased "fresh meat" but that is not the case in a large portion of purchases! Shop from your local farmers and purchase a side of beef or pig or whatever you choose. Store in your freezer. This is the best practice for the freshest and best meat.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I'm not sure, I think the meat is transported chilled but not frozen, I'm not sure one way or another.

I do know that freezing meat too quickly can ruin the texture so I can see that buying commercially frozen meat might be better than home freezing.
WellPreserved wrote: ↑Sun May 31, 2020 8:18 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: ↑Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm I don't believe the meat I buy in supermarkets has been previously frozen. Nonetheless, I don't like the texture or the flavour of meat that has sat in a freezer for ages; I've given up on freezing meat years ago.

You may not believe that the meat has been previously frozen but it has. How do you think it's transported from processing to grocery store? It has been frozen, thawed, and then refrozen. The addition of CO makes the consumer feel that they have purchased "fresh meat" but that is not the case in a large portion of purchases! Shop from your local farmers and purchase a side of beef or pig or whatever you choose. Store in your freezer. This is the best practice for the freshest and best meat.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 5 wrote: ↑Sun May 31, 2020 8:28 pm I'm not sure, I think the meat is transported chilled but not frozen, I'm not sure one way or another.

I do know that freezing meat too quickly can ruin the texture so I can see that buying commercially frozen meat might be better than home freezing.

The best meat is that that is frozen as soon as reaches it's optimal freshness after aging - a couple of days for pork and a couple of weeks for beef. This is the best "fresh meat" and generally you get that if you buy a locally raised side of beef or a pig. When a local processing plant processes your cow/pig/lamb/goat/chicken, they are going to freeze/vacuum pack what they process. This is honestly the best and freshest meat that you can hope to purchase.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I'm sure things are done differently in different parts of the world. Previously frozen or not, I'm happy with my supermarket (and occasional local butcher) meats and with not having a freezer. My experience with frozen meat hasn't been good.
WellPreserved wrote: ↑Sun May 31, 2020 8:40 pm
Anonymous 5 wrote: ↑Sun May 31, 2020 8:28 pm I'm not sure, I think the meat is transported chilled but not frozen, I'm not sure one way or another.

The best meat is that that is frozen as soon as reaches it's optimal freshness after aging - a couple of days for pork and a couple of weeks for beef. This is the best "fresh meat" and generally you get that if you buy a locally raised side of beef or a pig. When a local processing plant processes your cow/pig/lamb/goat/chicken, they are going to freeze/vacuum pack what they process. This is honestly the best and freshest meat that you can hope to purchase.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We just got 3# of sirloin to grill yesterday. $40. Meowch!
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Deleted User 203

Unread post

Bubelah wrote: ↑Sun May 31, 2020 2:11 pm
AZLizardLady wrote: ↑Fri May 29, 2020 11:38 pm That's about the average where I shop for stew meat.

Find some other type of beef (or whatever meat you might use for stew) that will be less expensive and make you own stew meat.
I've always believed "stew meat" WAS the crap left over from other cuts.
You can make "stew meat" out of a boneless beef roast and it's better quality, too.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I usually just use pork. It tastes the same and you can buy pork chops cheaper than stew meat. I cut it up and make it just like I would beef. That’s just me though.
Locked Previous topicNext topic