If you have a kid with ODD

PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:18 am I was diagnosed by three different psychiatrists when I was about 12... I had amazing parents. The people who assume it has to do with “shitty parents” are probably just too stupid to understand what it actually is, but that’s ok. They’ll learn just how hard it is to be a parent in their own time, but sadly their children will have to suffer from having parents that are dismissive of the problems their children will inevitably go through.

I was also diagnosed with Aspergers , but that isn’t something that they diagnose kids with anymore.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:39 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 am
Anonymous 2 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:05 am

I went to a one day conference on ODD and was told this by the doctors there. And that they focus on training the parent because of it. When I mentioned this on the old cm, of course I was ripped to shreds.
You had doctors tell you that ODD is a result of shitty parenting?

That’s disgusting... but I guess it’s normal to have ignorant people in every profession.

1. I have no respect for the opinion of people who call medical professionals, many there who worked exclusively with children with ODD and had lots of experience and education, "ignorant," when you've never met them. They are far from ignorant, even if their opinions dont match yours. The strategies I learned from them proved very effective for my sd.

2. Of course they didnt use those terms. Bacon is taking it a little too far with calling people names.
If they are saying that the
Medical diagnosis of children- made by medical professionals- is the “fault” of anyone other than the medical professionals who diagnosed the child... they are ignorant, regardless of what my opinions may be on the subject.

ODD is not simply diagnosed by bad behavior.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:48 pm
ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:42 am

You had doctors tell you that ODD is a result of shitty parenting?

That’s disgusting... but I guess it’s normal to have ignorant people in every profession.

1. I have no respect for the opinion of people who call medical professionals, many there who worked exclusively with children with ODD and had lots of experience and education, "ignorant," when you've never met them. They are far from ignorant, even if their opinions dont match yours. The strategies I learned from them proved very effective for my sd.

2. Of course they didnt use those terms. Bacon is taking it a little too far with calling people names.
Medical diagnosis of children- made by medical professionals- is the “fault” of anyone other than the medical professionals who diagnosed the child... they are ignorant, regardless of what my opinions may be on the subject.

I've explained what they said several times over now if you care to read my previous replies. They're not ignorant, and its laughable you think you are qualified to call them so.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:52 pm

I've explained what they said several times over now if you care to read my previous replies. They're not ignorant, and its laughable you think you are qualified to call them so.
Yeah... you said they told you it was a “parenting problem”. That means they are just as ignorant as the doctors that came before them who thought children with autism just had parents who didn’t discipline them enough.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:59 pm

Yeah... you said they told you it was a “parenting problem”. That means they are just as ignorant as the doctors that came before them who thought children with autism just had parents who didn’t discipline them enough.

When you get your doctorate on this subject and have years of experience working with these kids I might take your opinion seriously. Since you dont, and they have, AND you're calling experienced and educated people you've never met ignorant, I just can't. That doesn't even mean I think that no one should ever disagree with them. Other professionals and non-professionals probably do, and as long as they're not pointing their fingers and calling these doctors ignorant and disgusting, and vice versa, good discussion can be had. But I just can't respect anything you have to say on this.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:09 pm

When you get your doctorate on this subject and have years of experience working with these kids I might take your opinion seriously. Since you dont, and they have, AND you're calling experienced and educated people you've never met ignorant, I just can't. That doesn't even mean I think that no one should ever disagree with them. Other professionals and non-professionals probably do, and as long as they're not pointing their fingers and calling these doctors ignorant and disgusting, and vice versa, good discussion can be had. But I just can't respect anything you have to say on this.
Lol Honey, I’ve had not only years, but decades working with these kids, and being one of these kids ... I know the ins and outs quite well and know for a fact, that psychiatrists who assume a medical diagnosis is nothing but a parenting problem is either an idiot, or is calling other medical professionals who make the diagnosis to begin with idiots.

I’ve spent the last 7 years studying human behavior, at both the undergraduate and Masters level - specifically Medical Anthropology and the study of disease/disorder progression in society.

Don’t pretend that because you heard something from a doctor once, that their opinion is scripture... Plenty of doctors are idiots when it comes down to it. And plenty of doctors have been saying idiotic things for hundreds of years now...
Anonymous 2

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:27 pm

Lol Honey, I’ve had not only years, but decades working with these kids, and being one of these kids ... I know the ins and outs quite well and know for a fact, that psychiatrists who assume a medical diagnosis is nothing but a parenting problem is either an idiot, or is calling other medical professionals who make the diagnosis to begin with idiots.

I’ve spent the last 7 years studying human behavior, at both the undergraduate and Masters level - specifically Medical Anthropology and the study of disease/disorder progression in society.

Don’t pretend that because you heard something from a doctor once, that their opinion is scripture... Plenty of doctors are idiots when it comes down to it. And plenty of doctors have been saying idiotic things for hundreds of years now...

Great. Get your doctorate and/or quit calling other professionals with more experience than you ignorant and disgusting and we'll talk further if you'd like. I never said anyone's opinion is scripture.
Anonymous 7

Unread post

Lol i like you and i agree with you.
ReadingRainbow
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Great. Get your doctorate and/or quit calling other professionals with more experience than you ignorant and disgusting and we'll talk further if you'd like. I never said anyone's opinion is scripture.
Umm? No lol.

I’ll continue to call out truth whenever I feel like it.

People- even medical professionals- who think the reason ODD is typically diagnosed is just a parenting problem are idiots.

Most parenting problems aren’t visible in MRIs of the frontal cortex.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

ReadingRainbow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:44 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:29 pm

Umm? No lol.

I’ll continue to call out truth whenever I feel like it.

People- even medical professionals- who think the reason ODD is typically diagnosed is just a parenting problem are idiots.

Most parenting problems aren’t visible in MRIs of the frontal cortex.

Ahhh, so because you think it's true, it is then. Right. LOL. Some less-credentialed person on the internet said so, and in such a classy manner. That makes them wrong.

I've found what they said to be true and helpful in my life and with my kid.

Regardless of whether or not it's true universally, or the opposite is true, or its somewhere in the middle, they aren't idiots. They're not disgusting. And some have devoted themselves solely to helping these kids and families be more successful. So yes, I will continue to call you out for saying they are disgusting and ignorant.
Locked Previous topicNext topic