As Trump airs his election doubts, many supporters say they won't accept a Biden win in 2024

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:35 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:03 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:54 am

No.

Here is a wiki definition of authoritarianism:

"Authoritarianism is a political system characterized by the rejection of democracy, and political plurality. It involves the use of strong central power to preserve the political status quo, and reductions in the rule of law, separation of powers, and democratic voting."

Lying, misstating, forgetting, whatever you want to call it about inflation rates in an interview is not authoritarianism. Lying about the results of an election and challenging the peaceful transfer of power is. Increasing the powers of the executive branch to ensure a political party's dominance is. Suppressing the vote is.

You are really reaching to find an equivalency between the Trump administration and Biden administration but there just isn't one. My question to you is why? Many of the things you advocate for in other posts will be harmed by a Trump administration (farmers, abortion rights, sports, funding for college, etc). Why do you feel that it won't be "bad"? It seems as if you are just trying to be argumentative or that you were disingenuous in your advocacy in previous posts. Which is it?
I’m not…

I’m showing you why I don’t care…

Sally said the beginning of trump’s dictatorship was him lying about the crowd size at his inauguration… I don’t see it that way.

You guys think lying to the public is absolutely wrong if trump says it, but completely forgivable of Biden does it..,

That’s a lot more disingenuous…

I don’t think he’ll be bad for farmers, I don’t think he’ll be bad for sports… abortion rights are horrible right now, and Trump just said he wouldn’t sign a national ban… so states have to decide, and while I hate the decision some states made, that’s what democracy is. You don’t always get your way, and if you want to live in a state that allows abortions, do it.

As I’ve said 1000x , I’m not voting for Trump, I’m voting for RFK, but if him and Biden lose, I don’t care that much… Trump it is for the next four years…
okay. I think eliminating subsidies for farmers is going to dramatically hurt small independent farmers while boosting revenue for corporate farming. I think eliminating federal funding for public schools while at the same time allowing vouchers for school choice is going to adversely affect sports in public schools - school boards, especially in underserved communities are going to have to restructure their budgets and sports, especially women's sports are going to be the second to go (art and music were already the first). Yes, Trump said he would leave it to the states and he angered many conservatives. Should we believe when he says or what is laid out in the GOP plan for a Republican presidency? There were several posts where you railed on child labor law violations (as you should). I think eliminating those protections will harm kids. You posted about the racist bill in Oklahoma targeting (and racially profiling) Mexicans for deportation. This would be federal policy under Trump.

I also think Trump was testing authoritarian waters with his lying about inauguration crowd. The lies aren't what matter it's what you can get your supporters to believe, even when the lie is obvious and Trump supporters believed his lies hook line and sinker. As he stated, "I could shoot someone and wouldn't lose any voters". This is also what he's arguing SCOTUS with absolute presidential immunity, where his lawyers have argued that he would have immunity from assassinating political rivals (hypothetically of course). This is authoritarianism.

I know you're not voting for Trump or Biden but voting for RFK as you've repeated many times. Living in a hard red state like Arkansas, your vote doesn't matter and honestly, being a white married woman in Arkansas, you probably wouldn't be adversely affected by a Trump presidency so don't really care. Others on this site do care as some see beyond their bubble.

Farmers like Trump…

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/iowa-f ... 20programs.

The Trump years indeed brought farmers record cash: about $217 billion in farm payments, including crop support, disaster, and aid programs. That's about $73 billion more than in any prior four-year period since 1933, according to a Reuters examination of U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) data.

https://www.usda.gov/media/press-releas ... -and-rural

Trump never said he would eliminate federal funding to public school… he said he would add over a billion in funding to charter schools… when he said “not one cent to schools with a vaccine mandate” I was totally supportive.

It’s all just fear mongering..
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No.

"Authoritarianism is a political system characterized by the rejection of democracy, and political plurality. It involves the use of strong central power to preserve the political status quo, and reductions in the rule of law, separation of powers, and democratic voting."

Lying, misstating, forgetting, whatever you want to call it about inflation rates in an interview is not authoritarianism. Lying about the results of an election and challenging the peaceful transfer of power is. Increasing the powers of the executive branch to ensure a political party's dominance is. Suppressing the vote is.

You are really reaching to find an equivalency between the Trump administration and Biden administration but there just isn't one. My question to you is why? Many of the things you advocate for in other posts will be harmed by a Trump administration (farmers, abortion rights, sports, funding for college, etc). Why do you feel that it won't be "bad"? It seems as if you are just trying to be argumentative or that you were disingenuous in your advocacy in previous posts. Which is it?
I’m not…

Sally said the beginning of trump’s dictatorship was him lying about the crowd size at his inauguration… I don’t see it that way.

You guys think lying to the public is absolutely wrong if trump says it, but completely forgivable of Biden does it..,

I don’t think he’ll be bad for farmers, I don’t think he’ll be bad for sports… abortion rights are horrible right now, and Trump just said he wouldn’t sign a national ban… so states have to decide, and while I hate the decision some states made, that’s what democracy is. You don’t always get your way, and if you want to live in a state that allows abortions, do it.

As I’ve said 1000x , I’m not voting for Trump, I’m voting for RFK, but if him and Biden lose, I don’t care that much… Trump it is for the next four years…
okay. I think eliminating subsidies for farmers is going to dramatically hurt small independent farmers while boosting revenue for corporate farming. I think eliminating federal funding for public schools while at the same time allowing vouchers for school choice is going to adversely affect sports in public schools - school boards, especially in underserved communities are going to have to restructure their budgets and sports, especially women's sports are going to be the second to go (art and music were already the first). Yes, Trump said he would leave it to the states and he angered many conservatives. Should we believe when he says or what is laid out in the GOP plan for a Republican presidency? There were several posts where you railed on child labor law violations (as you should). I think eliminating those protections will harm kids. You posted about the racist bill in Oklahoma targeting (and racially profiling) Mexicans for deportation. This would be federal policy under Trump.

I also think Trump was testing authoritarian waters with his lying about inauguration crowd. The lies aren't what matter it's what you can get your supporters to believe, even when the lie is obvious and Trump supporters believed his lies hook line and sinker. As he stated, "I could shoot someone and wouldn't lose any voters". This is also what he's arguing SCOTUS with absolute presidential immunity, where his lawyers have argued that he would have immunity from assassinating political rivals (hypothetically of course). This is authoritarianism.

I know you're not voting for Trump or Biden but voting for RFK as you've repeated many times. Living in a hard red state like Arkansas, your vote doesn't matter and honestly, being a white married woman in Arkansas, you probably wouldn't be adversely affected by a Trump presidency so don't really care. Others on this site do care as some see beyond their bubble.
Speaking of public schools and vouchers. My local school board is in trouble financially and is talking about closing schools.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 1:01 pm

I’m not…

Farmers like Trump…

The Trump years indeed brought farmers record cash: about $217 billion in farm payments, including crop support, disaster, and aid programs. That's about $73 billion more than in any prior four-year period since 1933, according to a Reuters examination of U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) data.

Trump never said he would eliminate federal funding to public school… he said he would add over a billion in funding to charter schools… when he said “not one cent to schools with a vaccine mandate” I was totally supportive.

If an employee were to submit a business proposal for expansion in 2025, would you read or just waive it through since you thought they did a good job four years ago?

You are citing examples from 2020 and yet Project 2025 guts USDA and eliminates subsidies for independent farmers.

Project 2025 also eliminates the Department of Education and leaves public school funding entirely up to states.

It doesn't matter what Trump says while campaigning as he has signed onto following Project 2025 and many of the contributors to Project 2025 have been tagged for not only his cabinet but federal positions.

It's pretty apparent you don't care and are comfortable with anyone who is president but it's also apparent that you are not aware of GOP plans for a Republican presidency so perhaps ignorance really is bliss.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 12:59 pm

No.

I’m not…

Trump wouldn’t need to sign a national abortion ban to restrict abortion even further nationwide. His political appointees, the judges he appoints and his administration could restrict the ability to access abortion medication via mail by enforcing the Comstock Act or reverse FDA approval of it altogether, among other actions: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/trump- ... on-access/. He was also open to a national ban while President. Why would his statement now, trying to get elected, be more believable than what he said he was willing to do while in power last time?
Thank you! Reinstating the Comstock Act would effectively ban all abortion at any stage of pregnancy nationally with no exceptions.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’m not…

Farmers like Trump…

What a great business man!

"All that cash made farmers whole - and then some. A 2021 study by the University of California-Davis found that soybean farmers received about $5.4 billion more in aid than they lost in price impact."
306/232

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:23 pm

Farmers like Trump…

"All that cash made farmers whole - and then some. A 2021 study by the University of California-Davis found that soybean farmers received about $5.4 billion more in aid than they lost in price impact."
What do you think that means?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:41 pm

Farmers like Trump…

Farmers Welfare
306/232

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:51 pm
Della wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:09 pm
SallyMae wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:49 pm

Trump abused power from his first day as president, when he ordered Sean Spicer to go out and claim that Trump's inauguration crowd was bigger than Obama's, when every living human could see with their own eyes that it was not. Was that "being a dictator"? No. Not yet.

But, it was followed by abuse after abuse of power, from obstruction of justice to extortion, replacing reality with ever more outrageous lies. Trump eventually removed the "normal" administrators and replaced them with toadys. The Jan 6 insurrection wasn't just "the last day," it was months of Trump refusing to concede when he lost and his team trying every possible lie and scheme to retain illegitimate control.

"Project 2025" is a plan to gut the government of ordinary civil servants and any checks and balances. And have you noticed that Trump is also asserting that as President he would have legal immunity and freedom to commit any crime?

That's how authoritarians gain power. It's not by claiming they are a dictator on day one. It's by getting society to perform a series of Enabling Acts to hand them more and more power.

If Trump is president again, the Jan 6 level is where he will start. Welcome back to Muslim bans and family separation policies, only worse. Based specifically on what actually happened last time, Trump can't be trusted to concede an election even if he loses.

I don't care if you call that a dictator, but it's NOT democracy. You should be concerned.
I'm really shocked by the ease at which the "give me liberty or give me death" members of society are okay with this.

As far as elections, look at the folks here:

"A constitutional lawyer and close Donald Trump ally, Johnson played a pivotal role in Trump’s push to overturn the 2020 election. He led the amicus brief, signed by more than 100 House Republicans, backing a Texas lawsuit seeking to invalidate the 2020 election results in four key swing states won by President Joe Biden.

Johnson was joined Wednesday by Rep. Chip Roy, R-Texas, and Sen. Mike Lee, R-Utah, two lawmakers whose text messages to then-White House chief of staff Mark Meadows were featured prominently in the Jan. 6 committee’s investigation into the attack.

Others on hand included a who’s who of MAGA conservatives. Among them were Stephen Miller, the former White House senior adviser to Trump; Jenny Beth Martin, the Tea Party Patriots co-founder who was outside the Capitol with a bullhorn on Jan. 6, 2021; and Cleta Mitchell, the conservative activist who was on the January 2021 call with Trump when he told Georgia Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger to “find” 11,000 votes, enough to overturn the state’s election results.

Two other former Trump administration officials, Hogan Gidley and Ken Cuccinelli, also spoke Wednesday.

When asked at the news conference whether he accepts the 2020 election results, Johnson replied: “What we’re talking about today is the 2024 election.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... rcna151256

They're still around and still trying to manipulate the situation.

Patrick Henry… literally my 8th great-grandfather.

I definitely believe in That quote, I just don’t think Trump is going to challenge that for me…
"Cheney: Right before we jumped on here, he posted something saying “give me liberty or give me death” in the context of his gag order, his willingness to defend free speech. He certainly wants the impression out there even though I think he would fight tooth and nail to stay out of prison."

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... y-00156845

Totally unintentional, but hilarious at the same time 😂😂😂
306/232

Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:44 pm

Farmers Welfare
What do you think happens to your ability to eat if too many farms go out of business?
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:59 pm
Della wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:44 pm

Farmers Welfare
What do you think happens to your ability to eat if too many farms go out of business?
So we overpay?! By soybean farmers being paid about $5.4 billion more in aid than they lost in price"? That's good business sense?! And that's just soybean farmers!
306/232

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic