Why Many Native Americans Are Angry With Elizabeth Warren

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If Senator Elizabeth Warren thought that releasing her DNA test results showing Native American ancestry would neutralize a Republican line of attack, she was wrong.

The test — part of her strategic preparations for a likely presidential campaign — did not placate President Trump, who has mocked Ms. Warren as “Pocahontas” and once promised $1 million to a charity of her choice if a DNA test substantiated her claims of Cherokee and Delaware heritage. And her announcement of the results angered many Native Americans, including the Cherokee Nation, the largest of the country’s three federally recognized Cherokee tribes.

DNA testing cannot show that Ms. Warren is Cherokee or any other tribe, the secretary of state of the Cherokee Nation, Chuck Hoskin Jr., said in a statement. Tribes set their own citizenship requirements, not to mention that DNA tests don’t distinguish among the numerous indigenous groups of North and South America. The test Ms. Warren took did not identify Cherokee ancestry specifically; it found that she most likely had at least one Native American ancestor six to 10 generations ago.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... spartanntp
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
hockeymom87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

They didn’t even test against Native American DNA they used DNA from Peru etc. So she might not even have any Native American DNA. So much for her parents having to elope(which is doubtful there was a marriage announcement in the paper https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyw ... 7177%3famp) because her mom was too Native.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

KAG
Mean Girl
thunderkiss65
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This thing just makes me laugh every time I hear it. I don't identify as native american, though legally I could. Im mixed, that's it. My father is half Seminole and my mother is 1/4 Lakota. My ancestors are traced directly back to specific nations; but still I wouldnt dare throw my "heritage" around like that to gain power. I wouldnt dare identify as native like that because the truth is, in the native community, if you are not raised native, you are not native and that's just how it is. I have ancestry, but I cant claim heritage like that, thats now how it works. I respect that too. It has less to do with the amount you have- blood wise- and more to do with how you were raised.

With all that said, I have had many people come up to me and ask about my "heritage", and then usually follow up with their ancestry findings. The funny thing about this is, they all say the same thing to me and my family members... " Are you native american? You look native american. We recently found out that we are native american too! We are 1/68th Cherokee Indian and my great grandmother 2x removed was a Cherokee princess!" See this is funny because they are always Cherokee and they all are related to the same "Cherokee princess" LMFAO!!!!! I die every time someone says that to me. You people who say this need to stop because you have NO idea how ridiculous you sound! :lol:
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

thunderkiss65 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:28 pm This thing just makes me laugh every time I hear it. I don't identify as native american, though legally I could. Im mixed, that's it. My father is half Seminole and my mother is 1/4 Lakota. My ancestors are traced directly back to specific nations; but still I wouldnt dare throw my "heritage" around like that to gain power. I wouldnt dare identify as native like that because the truth is, in the native community, if you are not raised native, you are not native and that's just how it is. I have ancestry, but I cant claim heritage like that, thats now how it works. I respect that too. It has less to do with the amount you have- blood wise- and more to do with how you were raised.

With all that said, I have had many people come up to me and ask about my "heritage", and then usually follow up with their ancestry findings. The funny thing about this is, they all say the same thing to me and my family members... " Are you native american? You look native american. We recently found out that we are native american too! We are 1/68th Cherokee Indian and my great grandmother 2x removed was a Cherokee princess!" See this is funny because they are always Cherokee and they all are related to the same "Cherokee princess" LMFAO!!!!! I die every time someone says that to me. You people who say this need to stop because you have NO idea how ridiculous you sound! :lol:
That's funny, but mostly sad too.
I think it's the same across nationalities.

There's a difference between genetics (DNA) and nationality. I completely see what the SOS of the Cherokee Nation is saying.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
thunderkiss65
Regent
Regent

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:38 pm
thunderkiss65 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:28 pm This thing just makes me laugh every time I hear it. I don't identify as native american, though legally I could. Im mixed, that's it. My father is half Seminole and my mother is 1/4 Lakota. My ancestors are traced directly back to specific nations; but still I wouldnt dare throw my "heritage" around like that to gain power. I wouldnt dare identify as native like that because the truth is, in the native community, if you are not raised native, you are not native and that's just how it is. I have ancestry, but I cant claim heritage like that, thats now how it works. I respect that too. It has less to do with the amount you have- blood wise- and more to do with how you were raised.

There's a difference between genetics (DNA) and nationality. I completely see what the SOS of the Cherokee Nation is saying.
It is actually sad and disrespectful which is why, even though I could easily become a registered member, I wouldnt dare do so. Most peoples claims as Cherokee, from what I heard, is because their guidelines are a lot more lenient than other nations. A lot of people seek out to use their American privilege alongside the native card when their 'American privilege' does not work for them.
I remember when I was first told about our ancestry, my grandmother would make it clear to us why we can not claim heritage that way. The reason being, that we were not raised with the same struggles and issues the native american people have faced and still face today. I think a lot of the issue is the lack of education in this area. People have heard about the trail of tears and a few battles the natives have fought in history, but they dont hear about it all. About the sacrifices and what was really taken from them, how it really happened. They are not aware of the government interference they face today and how they fight daily on keeping their treaties and their rights as native citizens. How the government is constantly finding loopholes on violating their treaties. People don't know what they are battling right now. The whole pipeline issue was just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the issues they are all facing today. Government raids, CPS/DHS taking kids from their homes and placing them up for adoption outside of their reservation with non-native families, intense drug and alcohol issues, poverty just to name a few. It's wrong to try and use native status when you dont even know the struggles these people have to face and you never had to deal with them.
Native Americans are proud people and they dont use that "card" lightly, others shouldn't use it at all. They have every right to be upset with this woman, because she just spat in the faces of all natives when she made these claims. Native status is not something that you use and abuse like that. Especially when you are working with the same government they are constantly having to combat.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

thunderkiss65 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:21 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:38 pm

It is actually sad and disrespectful which is why, even though I could easily become a registered member, I wouldnt dare do so. Most peoples claims as Cherokee, from what I heard, is because their guidelines are a lot more lenient than other nations. A lot of people seek out to use their American privilege alongside the native card when their 'American privilege' does not work for them.
I remember when I was first told about our ancestry, my grandmother would make it clear to us why we can not claim heritage that way. The reason being, that we were not raised with the same struggles and issues the native american people have faced and still face today. I think a lot of the issue is the lack of education in this area. People have heard about the trail of tears and a few battles the natives have fought in history, but they dont hear about it all. About the sacrifices and what was really taken from them, how it really happened. They are not aware of the government interference they face today and how they fight daily on keeping their treaties and their rights as native citizens. How the government is constantly finding loopholes on violating their treaties. People don't know what they are battling right now. The whole pipeline issue was just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the issues they are all facing today. Government raids, CPS/DHS taking kids from their homes and placing them up for adoption outside of their reservation with non-native families, intense drug and alcohol issues, poverty just to name a few. It's wrong to try and use native status when you dont even know the struggles these people have to face and you never had to deal with them.
Native Americans are proud people and they dont use that "card" lightly, others shouldn't use it at all. They have every right to be upset with this woman, because she just spat in the faces of all natives when she made these claims. Native status is not something that you use and abuse like that. Especially when you are working with the same government they are constantly having to combat.
So well said. Thank you for sharing this information.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Locked Previous topicNext topic