Who's obligation is it to provide affordable housing and how cheap does it have to be?

My sister lives in a beautiful income based apartment. She has bamboo floors, granite & stainless steel appliances. She is a single mom and pays the maximum rent but it’s “low income” it’s $875 a month in a high cost of living area. She’s a nurse but gets no child support. She had a kid with a bum she went to high school with. He sells drugs doesn’t pay a dime. She got her education. The kid is 5 should be in kindergarten but missed the cut off. So she’s stuck paying for daycare for another year.
Victoriousmom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Canadiana wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:51 pm
Victoriousmom wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:41 pm Like I care. I pay to own.

Bump for the bottom feeders.
Aww man your life must suck real bad. How sad.

*cue you coming in to tell me how great your life is.
I LOVE REPLIES LIKE THIS!

SO UNIQUE!
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

No one is entitled to cheaper housing, that is reality. The market price is what the market can charge and people can pay.

If you don't like your financial situation, get another job, more education, stop wasting money on alcohol, cigarettes, and other unnecessary things. Stop having kids you cannot afford. In other words, be responsible.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

DDPickles86 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:31 pm
Diamepphyre wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:39 am
Guest wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:53 pm I keep seeing the call for affordable housing, but who's supposed to provide it? If you think it's the tax payers, how much extra would you be okay with coming out of your own paycheck to provide this affordable housing? $1? $10? $50? And what do you believe is an affordable price for rental housing? Give me an exact rental amount.
Most taxpayers have to work hard to pay for their own housing and associated costs - they shouldn't be bled even more than they already are to provide "affordable" housing. People need to get off their keisters, and find work to pay for their own housing. People in my generation and my parents' often worked two, three jobs at a time to be able to buy a house - no reason why current generations can't do the same.
I am millenial and I am ashamed of my generation. I was brought up to pay for my own things and not rely on a handout or for someone to make something "fair" to me.
Good for you, I am glad to hear this.

It's good to hear from a millennial that has a solid work ethic. Your parents did a great job.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

DDPickles86 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:28 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:59 pm
DDPickles86 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:31 pm It's no one obligation. If you cant afford to move in a certain area say like silicon valley then ffs move somewhere else that you can actually afford to be in.
That's a fine opinion for people to have but do people in silicone valley like having convenience stores, coffee shops abd fast food? Because someone has to work those jobs but they don't pay enough to afford the average apartment in silicone valley.
No one is entitled to an apartment or a house. Just because someone works in that area doesn't mean they are entitled to live in that area either. They can commute like millions of Americans do.

Blame inflation btw for how the housing market is there.
You're right...no one is entitled to anything. No one is also entitled to have grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants or coffee shops near their homes or work. If places with high costs of living want service in areas that don't offer a high wage they need to be prepared to either not have those services or make sure the people providing them can afford to do so.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Interesting question. If an area is too outrageously expensive, lower paying jobs like in the service industry will have to commute for work. Of course, to me, a commute is an hour or more. If you live 30 minutes away in a more affordable area, that isn't even a commute to me.
DDPickles86
Countess
Countess

mrsmacgiver wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:38 pm Interesting question. If an area is too outrageously expensive, lower paying jobs like in the service industry will have to commute for work. Of course, to me, a commute is an hour or more. If you live 30 minutes away in a more affordable area, that isn't even a commute to me.
This.

But I live in a low cost of living area and I have somewhat an okay hourly job. Not a lot but okay for the area so I don't need to move.

But if I couldn't afford to live in my house then yes I would move to a more affordable area.
DDPickles86
Countess
Countess

cellomom26 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:47 pm
DDPickles86 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:31 pm
Diamepphyre wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:39 am

Most taxpayers have to work hard to pay for their own housing and associated costs - they shouldn't be bled even more than they already are to provide "affordable" housing. People need to get off their keisters, and find work to pay for their own housing. People in my generation and my parents' often worked two, three jobs at a time to be able to buy a house - no reason why current generations can't do the same.
I am millenial and I am ashamed of my generation. I was brought up to pay for my own things and not rely on a handout or for someone to make something "fair" to me.
Good for you, I am glad to hear this.

It's good to hear from a millennial that has a solid work ethic. Your parents did a great job.
I hate that people think that everything needs to be "fair" to everyone all of the time. Like the mom who is suing her son's school because he didn't make the soccer team. Like wtf?

I believe no one is entitled to anything. My best friend, who is African American is my age. She grew up in the projects in NYC in the Bronx. She grew up with nothing. It was normal for someone to get pregnant at 15 and go on welfare. Her mother didn't want that to end up being her. Her mother instilled in my best friend hard work ethic and did everything she could to ensure that her daughter had a better life. And my best friend does. Her mother broke the cycle. My best friend makes about the same that I do and has her own place, her own car, is educated and is just an awesome person. She didn't end up a statistic because she didn't want to be.

That is why when people say "the poverty cycle" I think its bullshit. Its all how you are raised. Yes everyone doesn't get the same opportunities. Some people grow up dirt ass poor and its hard. But you can either rise above your situation and break the cycle or you can continue it for the next fucked up generation. Its a choice.
DDPickles86
Countess
Countess

PoplarGrove wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:42 am
PoplarGrove wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:59 pm
That's a fine opinion for people to have but do people in silicone valley like having convenience stores, coffee shops abd fast food? Because someone has to work those jobs but they don't pay enough to afford the average apartment in silicone valley.
No one is entitled to an apartment or a house. Just because someone works in that area doesn't mean they are entitled to live in that area either. They can commute like millions of Americans do.

You're right...no one is entitled to anything. No one is also entitled to have grocery stores, convenience stores, restaurants or coffee shops near their homes or work. If places with high costs of living want service in areas that don't offer a high wage they need to be prepared to either not have those services or make sure the people providing them can afford to do so.
Why do you think people who work these jobs deserve or entitled to live in a high cost area? I'm really curious.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

DDPickles86 wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:27 am
PoplarGrove wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:42 am

Why do you think people who work these jobs deserve or entitled to live in a high cost area? I'm really curious.
I don't think they deserve to live in a high cost area. But if people who live in high cost of living areas want these services then they need to be prepared to make sure they have places for those providing the services to live. Maybe it's different in the States but in my city the cheapest house a person can purchase at the moment is 200'000 and rent for a one bedroom apartment starts at $1000. A person making minumum wage isn't going to be able to afford either oprion which is why there is affordable housing run by the government. I'm not saying a person making 20'000 a year deserves to live in a $500'000.00 home but even the cheapest open market home is beyond their reach. The options society has are to provide affordable housing or deal with the fact that we may have a labour shortage in the service industry.

I do think it's pretty shitty to expect someone to commute 1-2 hours in order to serve someone coffee. Which is what it sounds like many people seem to feel should happen.
Locked Previous topicNext topic