Man finds 7.5 million dollars in storage unit he bought for $500

carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

https://people.com/human-interest/man-f ... BZpkHK075M

The original owners reached out and offered 600,000 at first to give it back. Eventually they settled on 1.2 million to give it back.

Would you have given any back?

Legally he didn't have to.

I'm just trying to figure out how the heck they have 7.5 million dollars but can't afford to pay for a storage unit lol. And why the heck keep it in a safe?? I'd keep it in the bank or if not definitely not a safe in a storage unit! Anyone can break in and steal it.

I would have probably given them some back, but not all. Even if you kept millions that's millions you didn't have before, kwim? But I'd have been insulted and pissed they offered a measly 600 grand to give it back. Like they obviously have money, that amount is pocket change to them.
Bubelah
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

First, the woman who told the story is a F***ing blabbermouth. 2nd, how did the previous owner get the winners information? When an auction is won, isn't the buyer's information confidential? I mean, the facility owns the property at that point, yeah?
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Bubelah wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:55 pm First, the woman who told the story is a F***ing blabbermouth. 2nd, how did the previous owner get the winners information? When an auction is won, isn't the buyer's information confidential? I mean, the facility owns the property at that point, yeah?

I honestly have no idea about any of that stuff lol. It just says they reached out through their attorney. I'm still stuck on not being able to afford a storage fee when you have millions.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If it was legally my money, I wouldn't have said a damned thing to anyone. I feel for the person who's friend's wife decided to blab.

I would keep my mug shut and enjoy my newly acquired millions.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm also wondering how the hell someone who had MILLIONS stashed away was unable to maintain payment on their storage unit.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

$7.5 million in cash in a storage unit. They hid it there so they wouldn't have to pay taxes on it. And I seriously wonder how they were able to accumulate so much cash. Drug money? I hope the cops are investigating and I hope IRS definitely is on the ball. And charges these people with tax fraud. Because they owe the IRS 39.6% of $7.5 million or $2.9 million if my math is right.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I would not give any back. They were dumb to put that money there instead of a bank and then even dumber to let the storage unit expire
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Hell no, I wouldn't give it back. My husband and I have actually thought about doing that- buying storage units from an auction. We know people who make their living doing this, then reselling whatever is in it. Some of them are wash, or you can actually lose money. Another downside is that you have to bring a trailer and haul it all away the same day. This story really makes me want to do it, though. LOL
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I wouldn't have said a word. Then kept the cash for myself.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Holy shit. First of all I’d be afraid it was drug money. But I wouldn’t have told anyone and I certainly wouldn’t give any of it back. $7.5 million and you can’t be bothered to pay a storage fee? Sorry. You’re a dumbass and SOL as far as I’m concerned.
Locked Previous topicNext topic