Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Verrine wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:55 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:38 pm
Anon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:25 pm

He came to me with an alternative and a reason why he wants to go to a different type of high school. As long as he keeps up his grades I am fine with it.
I didn't like my job so I chose a different career. I didn't quit work until I already had something else lined up. He is basically doing the same thing.
He would need a better reason than he's tired of the same old scene. After all hs is only four years. You know your kid but it would rub me the wrong way. Many people are tired of things they do anyhow.. cook dinner, wash dishes, pay bills. They do them anyhow. Now bullying or a better program online is different. But it's your decision.
There is nothing wrong with trying something different. It is not like he is dropping out or being kicked out. He will get a high school diploma so he can continue on to college. Yes, you are tired of working every day, but are you working at the same job or even the same company where you started your career? Most people re-evaluate and change companies or at least get promoted. If your work environment were toxic, wouldn't you look for an alternative? This kid is showing initiative and his parents are supporting a temporary change. If it doesn't work, he can go back to regular high school.
There's nothing wrong with it. It's just his wording..'I'm tired of the same old scene' that for some reason bugs me. Like I said before many people have to put up with what they don't want to because that's part of adulting. Bad coworkers, paying bills and the like. He'd have to have a better argument for me than that. But op knows her kid and its her decision. It might work out well.
Anon

Unread post

Verrine wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:44 pm
Anon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:35 pm He is tired of the high school scene, his words, and I think having to be at the bus stop at 6:20 might have something to do with it. When school starts he will probably devote his time writing code and playing the piano during the day.
My DH would be over the moon if our kid had the discipline to do this and the initiative to come up with the idea. He's a programmer and maintains that all programmers must be able to teach themselves.

There are many methods of alternative schooling these days.

I love that this saves you money! You can take a family trip instead of paying for child care.
Your dh sounds like my ds. He told his brother building a server is something you have to learn through trial and error. DS likes making servers on minecraft and robolox, I think. I am not tech savvy or into gaming so I don't understand half the things he talks about.
Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Anon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:27 pm
Anon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:35 pm He is tired of the high school scene, his words, and I think having to be at the bus stop at 6:20 might have something to do with it. When school starts he will probably devote his time writing code and playing the piano during the day.
My DH would be over the moon if our kid had the discipline to do this and the initiative to come up with the idea. He's a programmer and maintains that all programmers must be able to teach themselves.

I love that this saves you money! You can take a family trip instead of paying for child care.
Your dh sounds like my ds. He told his brother building a server is something you have to learn through trial and error. DS likes making servers on minecraft and robolox, I think. I am not tech savvy or into gaming so I don't understand half the things he talks about.
My DH is self-taught and loathes being in a class of any kind. If your DS is successful at independent study, he'll have something to put on a resume which is more useful to an employer than "I got an A in AP Computer Science." If this works out, then he has an excellent topic for a college or scholarship application essay. "Discuss an accomplishment that sets you apart." PM me down the road if you want specific assistance with that.
onceagain2
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I know someone who did that years ago and they did well. There are no guarantees, but encourage him to do well. Staying in a traditional school is no guarantee of success. Sometimes it's what you make of a situation that matters most, and thinking "outside of the box" can work very well for some.
onceagain2
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Verrine wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:51 pm
Anon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:27 pm

My DH is self-taught and loathes being in a class of any kind. If your DS is successful at independent study, he'll have something to put on a resume which is more useful to an employer than "I got an A in AP Computer Science." If this works out, then he has an excellent topic for a college or scholarship application essay. "Discuss an accomplishment that sets you apart." PM me down the road if you want specific assistance with that.
Well said!
Justanotherperson
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Sounds like a good plan. I did alternative and night school my senior year of high school. I loved it and actually did much better there than with traditional high school. Regular high school is a lot of busy work and wasted time. I hated it. Our oldest is starting high school in the fall and I wouldn't have a problem with him doing alternative or even just testing out early.
flowerfunleah
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I went to night school my last two years of high school and I loved it! I had some ignored social anxiety, my first day of high school I walked into this ridiculously busy central school to a literal throng of wall to wall students so I turned around and walked right back out lol I didnt go back for three days! After that the first two years of high school I tried to avoid it as much as possible but it didn't bode well for my grades but then we discovered night school and I flourished! Back then it was only four days a week from 3:30 to 9pm.
eyes4ears
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Will he be fine taking care of the younger kids? Will he be consistent with the responsibility?
RedBottoms

Unread post

If your son is that smart with that high a GPA-I would worry how this would look to colleges. They typically don't like alternative schooling as much as a traditional school setting.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Anon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:02 pm
Pjmm wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:38 pm
Anon wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:25 pm

He came to me with an alternative and a reason why he wants to go to a different type of high school. As long as he keeps up his grades I am fine with it.
I didn't like my job so I chose a different career. I didn't quit work until I already had something else lined up. He is basically doing the same thing.
He would need a better reason than he's tired of the same old scene. After all hs is only four years. You know your kid but it would rub me the wrong way. Many people are tired of things they do anyhow.. cook dinner, wash dishes, pay bills. They do them anyhow. Now bullying or a better program online is different. But it's your decision.
He doesn't like large groups or the cliques. This is something I cannot change. Some people just aren't into large crowds. The only way to deal with that would be to medicate but I am not doing that to him unless he asked.
If he was struggling in school, I would get a tutor. If he was being bullied I would put my foot up someone's ass. I don't want him to get to a point where him not wanting to be there affects his grades.
Have you considered switching high schools? Sometimes just a new school can make a huge difference -but a regular school not the alternative school. I don't think those look as good on college applications. What about a smaller private school?
Locked Previous topicNext topic