Homeless Man and New Jersey Couple Charged in GoFundMe Scam: 'It Was Predicated on a Lie'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CHAR ADAMS
November 15, 2018 02:44 PM
A homeless man living in Philadelphia and a New Jersey couple have been charged for allegedly working together to concoct a scam that led to over $400,000 in GoFundMe donations.

Johnny Bobbitt, Kate McClure, 28, and her boyfriend Mark D’Amico, 39, have been officially charged by the Burlington County Prosecutor’s Office, according to FOX29. All three are facing second-degree theft by deception and conspiracy to commit theft by deception.

McClure and D’Amico surrendered to police Wednesday but have since been released. Bobbit remains in custody in Philadelphia.

The prosecutor’s office announced the criminal charges against the trio during a news conference on Thursday, with county prosecutor Scott Coffina telling reporters that the entire story “was predicated on a lie.”

https://people.com/human-interest/homel ... 22US%22%7d
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

TheQueenOfEverything
Regent
Regent

Unread post

well that is not how i expected that to turn out
Billie.jeens
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

What began as a feel-good story eventually turned into a criminal investigation after Bobbitt, a 35-year-old vet, accused McClure and D’Amico of spending the more than $400,000 they raised for him on GoFundMe on lavish vacations and a new BMW.

That was the last that I had heard previously -

Which makes no sense now.
“Modern journalism is all about deciding which facts the public shouldn’t know because they might reflect badly on Democrats."
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I've never donated to a GoFundMe and I never will. If I know someone in need of money, I donate it directly to them.
Deleted User 276

Unread post

This makes me sad. There are some people that truly need and deserve funds solicited on GoFundMe and stories like this shy people away from the site. That being said, I generally only donate to those people and organizations within our community.
TheQueenOfEverything
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My guess is that the rest of the story is pretty accurate, just with the twist that he was in on the hustle. Probably they didn’t give him as much of a cut as he was supposed to get so he went after them under the original pretense and when cops got involved it blew the whole thing up.
Billie.jeens wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:21 pm What began as a feel-good story eventually turned into a criminal investigation after Bobbitt, a 35-year-old vet, accused McClure and D’Amico of spending the more than $400,000 they raised for him on GoFundMe on lavish vacations and a new BMW.

That was the last that I had heard previously -

Which makes no sense now.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Well that escalated...
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal