Potty training dogs PIOG

Peaceful.chaos
Villein
Villein

Unread post

I didn't grow up in a home where animals were allowed inside. I've always wanted a dog that was inside with us as part of our family. So now we have two. They are inside most of the time, though they can go outside to a very nice enclosure that we've built just for them. It's huge (50x50 ft) and there's even a nice insulated house that was specifically built under the deck. Even though they love being outside, they do spend a great deal of time inside.

The issue, I'm worried they're going to pee somewhere when I'm not looking. It's a big house with lots of places that could go unnoticed unless I'm diligently inspecting with a black light every night. We've installed gates so that they cannot go upstairs as the first floor is mostly hardwood and tile. My question is, how do you relax when your dogs are out of sight? I think my dogs are trained but the puppy has a had a few accidents, which I don't mind if I see it happen and can clean it up quickly. I pretty much keep them in my sight when they're inside the house but now I've created clingy dogs. They think they have to be with me if they're in the house and usually on top of me wherever I am. Don't get me wrong I love that my pups want to be with me but I also want for them to relax and play by themselves and not think they have to be right on top of me all the time. I know I've caused this issue. The question is how do I fix it and stop worrying that there's pee going unnoticed somewhere in my house?
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Really just take them out at regular intervals and reward them when they do their business outside. If you catch them mid accident promptly take them outside. Most dogs pick up on it pretty quickly and they really prefer not to soil their living spaces.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Potty training a dog is a lot like potty training a toddler. It involves lots of trips outdoors to pee. Reward them and say GOOD DOGGY!! Jump up and down and do a happy dance and scratch their ears and give them lots of kisses when they go outside. All that positive attention will make the dog want to repeat the behavior to get rewarded.

Put a bell on the back door and jingle it every time you take them outside to go potty. Tell them 'Let's go potty' when you jingle the bell to take them out. .

The puppy, depending on his age, should go out every 2-4 hours and before and after eating and before bed.

My Heidi was almost 7 months old before we finally, finally got her potty trained and there were no more accidents. And they say german shepherds are supposed to be smart. But all of the accidents were by the back door at least and while we had puppy pads there, a lot of the time she just missed them all together. And then after she peed she'd ring the bell. *sigh*.

We ended up ripping up the carpet and replacing it anyway. It was an old light sage colored carpet and we replaced it with a dark spruce green. It hides stains much better, lol.
Peaceful.chaos
Villein
Villein

Unread post

The thing is, I think they're potty trained and it's just my paranoia. Lol

bmw29 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:33 pm Really just take them out at regular intervals and reward them when they do their business outside. If you catch them mid accident promptly take them outside. Most dogs pick up on it pretty quickly and they really prefer not to soil their living spaces.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Peaceful.chaos wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 5:10 pm The thing is, I think they're potty trained and it's just my paranoia. Lol

bmw29 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:33 pm Really just take them out at regular intervals and reward them when they do their business outside. If you catch them mid accident promptly take them outside. Most dogs pick up on it pretty quickly and they really prefer not to soil their living spaces.
LOL I'm sure you will get more comfortable. My dog potty trained himself thankfully.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I train mine by taking him out regularly
Have you tried doggy trading pads
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Did you say what age they are and I missed it?

When ours were pups, we took them out, at first, every hour and watched them to make sure they went. After 6 months, we went every 2 hours and now they are 8 and 2 and they know if they have to go out, to go to the door and paw it. Although my bloodhound doesn't paw it as much as she high kicks it LOL
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:38 pm Did you say what age they are and I missed it?

When ours were pups, we took them out, at first, every hour and watched them to make sure they went. After 6 months, we went every 2 hours and now they are 8 and 2 and they know if they have to go out, to go to the door and paw it. Although my bloodhound doesn't paw it as much as she high kicks it LOL
We have a bell on the back door for Heidi that she rings when she has to or wants to go out. With our other dog, Willow, we didn't have a bell. She would come and sit in front of you and make eye contact and turn her head to the door or side eye the door. lol.
Peaceful.chaos
Villein
Villein

Unread post

I guess I should've clarified that they're very good at going outside. I will take them out and they run straight over to the "spot" to do their business. My issue is that I'm crazy lol. I have it in my head that that they're going to pee somewhere and I won't know it and my house will eventually smell like dog pee. So with that mindset I've made my dogs think they can't leave my sight and I want them to relax.

Inmybizz wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 6:06 pm I train mine by taking him out regularly
Have you tried doggy trading pads
Deleted User 244

Unread post

I’m no help. I can’t even potty train my 3 1/2 year old child!
Locked Previous topicNext topic