Kyrsten Sinema Becomes First Female Senator From AZ, First Dem Senator Elected In 30 Years

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Democratic Rep. Kyrsten Sinema has made history by becoming the first woman elected to represent Arizona in the Senate. She defeated Republican Rep. Martha McSally after several days of ballot counting.

With 99 percent of precincts reporting, Sinema led McSally 50 percent to 48 percent when The Associated Press called the race six days after Election Day.

Sinema’s victory also marks the first time in 30 years that a Democrat has won a Senate seat in Arizona.

The race’s results were unknown for several days due to roughly 500,000 votes, mostly from Maricopa County, that still had to be counted after Election Day.

Arizona Secretary of State Michele Regan explained in a statement that vote tabulation can take days due to security measures and the high volume of early vote ballots dropped off at polling places on Election Day. Officials must verify someone who turned in an early ballot on Election Day did not also mistakenly vote in person at the polling place.

http://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/a ... ma-history
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Trump, November 7, on the Flake seat that the Republicans have now lost: “I retired him. I’m very proud of it. I did the country a great service.”
29again
Regent
Regent

6 days to find enough ballots. Sounds like they didn't prepare well enough. ;)
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

29again wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:51 pm 6 days to find enough ballots. Sounds like they didn't prepare well enough. ;)
You mean 6 days to count the mail-in ballots, with no evidence of fraud or anything being unusual, as per the Republican Governor and Secretary of State?
29again
Regent
Regent

Francee89 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:10 pm
29again wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:51 pm 6 days to find enough ballots. Sounds like they didn't prepare well enough. ;)
You mean 6 days to count the mail-in ballots, with no evidence of fraud or anything being unusual, as per the Republican Governor and Secretary of State?
What is usual about a large number of voters voting red for the gov, but then voting blue for the senate? Seems really weird to me... unless they thought that What's-his-name or Flake were on the ballot. I could understand it then. And yes, 6 days seems really long to count mail-in ballots. Are you sure they didn't find a box or two under a table, or behind a shelf somewhere??? I think they need to do a recount, myself, but I don't live there.
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

29again wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:16 pm
What is usual about a large number of voters voting red for the gov, but then voting blue for the senate? Seems really weird to me... unless they thought that What's-his-name or Flake were on the ballot. I could understand it then. And yes, 6 days seems really long to count mail-in ballots. Are you sure they didn't find a box or two under a table, or behind a shelf somewhere??? I think they need to do a recount, myself, but I don't live there.
Is that unusual? New Jersey had two Democratic Senators and a Republican Governor under Christie. Massachusetts has two Democratic Senators and a Republican Governor - same with Maryland and Illinois and Michigan. Kansas just elected a Democratic Governor but has two Republican Senators. Ohio saw Democrat Sherrod Brown re-elected but a new Republican Governor elected as well.

What seems long about that? The ballots had to be in by November 6, by to be counted, they require verification, and 75% of Arizona voters vote by mail. Neither the Arizona Republican Governor or SoS are alleging any kind of fraud.
TheQueenOfEverything
Regent
Regent

They had to hand-sort and then individually verify signatures on nearly half a million mailed ballots. Also, I think (not 100% on this one) AZ accepts all ballots that are postmarked by Election Day, not just the ones received by then. This is not a new or unusual thing, AZ reports heir results a week or so past Election Day every election year. Weird how that’s suddenly suspicious now that they have elected a democrat.
Deleted User 473

Amazing News! Thanks for posting
29again
Regent
Regent

Francee89 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Is that unusual? New Jersey had two Democratic Senators and a Republican Governor under Christie. Massachusetts has two Democratic Senators and a Republican Governor - same with Maryland and Illinois and Michigan. Kansas just elected a Democratic Governor but has two Republican Senators. Ohio saw Democrat Sherrod Brown re-elected but a new Republican Governor elected as well.

What seems long about that? The ballots had to be in by November 6, by to be counted, they require verification, and 75% of Arizona voters vote by mail. Neither the Arizona Republican Governor or SoS are alleging any kind of fraud.
What seems odd about AZ is that it appears that a Rep Gov was elected alongside a Dem Sen in the same election.
Expand your thinking

Try it.
29again
Regent
Regent

TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:07 am They had to hand-sort and then individually verify signatures on nearly half a million mailed ballots. Also, I think (not 100% on this one) AZ accepts all ballots that are postmarked by Election Day, not just the ones received by then. This is not a new or unusual thing, AZ reports heir results a week or so past Election Day every election year. Weird how that’s suddenly suspicious now that they have elected a democrat.

How often do they find boxes and boxes of ballots that amazingly choose the dem candidate on nearly every ballot?
Expand your thinking

Try it.
Locked Previous topicNext topic