Dear Abby Racist

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 473

Unread post

Padma Lakshmi slams 'deeply racist and problematic' column by 'Dear Abby' advising against giving kids 'foreign names'

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/padma-l ... 37264.html
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

Well, I do see her point. I work with 2 gals with unusual names. Nobody can say their names right, and everybody has given them nicknames or shortened versions of their name, myself included. And I can't spell their name right. I get being proud of one's heritage, but if you don't know the culture,the name really has no meaning .
Thelastunicorn
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I agree with her. Everything she said is true unfortunately. And it shouldn't be that way.
morgan
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Within the last decade people have lost the actual meaning of the word racist.
KAG
Mean Girl
Deleted User 473

Unread post

Since 45 has been elected we have seen a surge in racism in this country. They feel emboldened by him. People try to call it for what it is but of course many deny it truly is racist because they don't want to admit they are themselves racist. America is going down the shitter.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I have to side with Padma on this one.

Kids will tease any name it isn't going to matter. THAT is what should be addressed. Not forcing parents to use a simple name.

Although if everyone was named Jane and John, it would help me out. I struggle with names. Badly. Really badly.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
Deleted User 670

Unread post

I have a very common first name that has several accepted variations in spelling and mine is a variation that just isn't used very much. No one outside of my family spells it right. This has been an issue all of my life since I started school over 50 years ago. But at least it's easy to pronounce.
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Agreed. I got teased for my name, Carrie.
KnotaDinghy wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:07 pm I have to side with Padma on this one.

Kids will tease any name it isn't going to matter. THAT is what should be addressed. Not forcing parents to use a simple name.

Although if everyone was named Jane and John, it would help me out. I struggle with names. Badly. Really badly.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
Locked Previous topicNext topic