Just got a peek of our benefits under open enrollment

Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Oliviasmom72 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm The guy next to me at work has been a diabetic since he was a kid.

He says NPH is an old school insulin most diabetics don't even take anymore and its not as effective as the newer meds. He hasn't taken it since 1992. No insulin any DR prescribes in less than $300 a month out of pocket cash.

Smarties wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:26 pm
Oliviasmom72 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:17 pm insulin is not $20 a month at Walmart. It is a minimum $400 out of pocket.

My coworker does the quick pen and its $400/mo normally.

I hear diabetics complaining all the time how expensive insukin is I am curious where are you finding this price?

Think whatever you want. NPH is about 20 bucks for a vial.

Well thats why I said, you have to be on a more careful eating schedule. NPH isnt the only type they have at that price, but you aren't getting the pen for 20 bucks.

It's most certainly not 400 minimum like you claimed (and then changed your mind to 300 with an rx. Lol). Its minimum 20 bucks like I claimed. I also said you dont even need an Rx for it. It stands to reason that if you get the cheapest price, you get the cheapest option.
It's an option for people who cant afford anything else and/or dont have insurance.
Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

His quick pen is slightly more expensive, he chooses this route but you cant buy any sort of modern insulin and syringes for any less than $300 a month rock bottom price.

The brand my old roommate takes is $800/mo because of her age but she is on Medicaid it is less than $100/mo I think on her co pay.

NPH is like taking AZT for AIDS.

I would be curious to hear from other diabetics on here, how much you pay for insulin out of pocket a month.

Smarties wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:44 pm
Oliviasmom72 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:37 pm The guy next to me at work has been a diabetic since he was a kid.

He says NPH is an old school insulin most diabetics don't even take anymore and its not as effective as the newer meds. He hasn't taken it since 1992. No insulin any DR prescribes in less than $300 a month out of pocket cash.

Smarties wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:26 pm

Think whatever you want. NPH is about 20 bucks for a vial.

Well thats why I said, you have to be on a more careful eating schedule. NPH isnt the only type they have at that price, but you aren't getting the pen for 20 bucks.

It's most certainly not 400 minimum like you claimed (and then changed your mind to 300 with an rx. Lol). Its minimum 20 bucks like I claimed. I also said you dont even need an Rx for it. It stands to reason that if you get the cheapest price, you get the cheapest option.
It's an option for people who cant afford anything else and/or dont have insurance.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Oliviasmom72 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:05 pm His quick pen is slightly more expensive, he chooses this route but you cant buy any sort of modern insulin and syringes for any less than $300 a month rock bottom price.

The brand my old roommate takes is $800/mo because of her age but she is on Medicaid it is less than $100/mo I think on her co pay.

I would be curious to hear from other diabetics on here, how much you pay for insulin out of pocket a month.

The minimum price for insulin, at least at walmart, is about 20 bucks. That's the bottom line. That's not wrong no matter how many ways you try to spin it. Sold to many many people every single day.

You want to say thats not true and specify the type after the fact. Doesnt work like that. I'm not talking about all of that. I clarified right at the start what I was talking about.
Jessi19
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Oliviasmom72 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:05 pm His quick pen is slightly more expensive, he chooses this route but you cant buy any sort of modern insulin and syringes for any less than $300 a month rock bottom price.

[/quot

I currently have gestational diabetes. Through my insurance my insulin would have been $200 a month for each type (I need both fast acting and slow) I go to Walmart and pay $24 for nph and the same for the regular through Walmart. Yes it is the older option but I’m not paying $400 a month for a short term problem. For me I’m on a low dose of both types and with a strict diet I am able to control my glucose levels. So you are incorrect about both price and people using it.
Verrine
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:36 pm HSA can be a good way to handle the prescription costs you know you will have next year. You can contribute additional money to it in most cases, and it is pre-tax dollars so the money goes farther. It can roll over year to year, and even be used once you retire to pay insurance premiums, dental, eye care or medical costs.

I built up ours by quite a large sum and by the time I was ready to leave my corporate job it was enough to carry our medical out-of-pocket for many years.
I'm impressed. We went through ours every year because HSAs only come with a High Deductible plan and there is a limit of what you can put in them. I am not that sickly! We do have several regular prescription costs.

As of last week, we have an FSA which will be a new challenge.
Anonymous2.0
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Oliviasmom72 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:46 pm Thanks OBAMA. Only the poor benefitted from Obamacare. Us middle class taxpayers pay for MEDICAID at the end of the day.

Lemons wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:28 pm Write a letter to your congressman or senator and tell them that healthcare has become uunaffordable and ask what they are doing about it.
After my insurance covers my daughter’s meds it’s $633 per month out of pocket. I have great insurance for the area we are in and I was told if I quit my job and went on Medicaid, it would be covered. Amazing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic