I don't believe my daughter

Unread post

Am I a bad mom? My (early 20's) DD has the habit of exaggerating stories and claims things happen when they didn't. Normally it's 'small' stuff but tonight she shared something publicly on Facebook and I don't know if I can let this go.

She claims she was assaulted (aka groped) by a man on a train in the last 24 hours. There is a long post that includes he said/she said and exact information that seems like a lot. It also seems odd as normally she would call me straight away and start telling me herself, instead of posting it to Facebook. I think this is made up and she is looking for attention. She is getting it however - tons of "love" reactions on Facebook and tons of comments telling her how brave and incredible she is and I just don't believe it.

So, WDYT? Call her on her bullshit - or let her live her life of fantasy and potentially ruin someone's life as people are already beginning to share the status for her to 'catch' the creep. She's also still living under my roof, so I feel as if I do have some "right" to say something.
RedBottoms

Unread post

I would call my DD and talk to her about it. See if her story changes. See if I can find a lie or inconsistency. Then if she is lying I would tell her to take that story down before it goes too far and someone involves the police and she could be charged with making a false report

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:50 am I would call my DD and talk to her about it. See if her story changes. See if I can find a lie or inconsistency. Then if she is lying I would tell her to take that story down before it goes too far and someone involves the police and she could be charged with making a false report
And if she didn't take down the post? I feel like if I say anything - her next facebook post will just be about me and that I didn't support her during her 'ordeal'. Her stories always stay the same - they're just wrong and I know this because half the time I'm there for the original part.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Guest wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:57 am
RedBottoms wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:50 am I would call my DD and talk to her about it. See if her story changes. See if I can find a lie or inconsistency. Then if she is lying I would tell her to take that story down before it goes too far and someone involves the police and she could be charged with making a false report
And if she didn't take down the post? I feel like if I say anything - her next facebook post will just be about me and that I didn't support her during her 'ordeal'. Her stories always stay the same - they're just wrong and I know this because half the time I'm there for the original part.
she is an adult right? well then you maybe you just have to block her on fb so you don't have to see that drama and lies and just let her make her own mistakes. Warn her but then after that its up to her
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Some people are just severe attention seekers. How is her life going like job, school, boyfriend? She must be unhappy about something. I don't know.
Coffeetillcocktails
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Did she report it to the police? My husband takes reports for this exact scenario all the time. That would be what I call and tell her. Facebook isn’t the avenue for tracking down criminal activity. Go to the authorities.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Why do you think that she is lying other than because she sometimes exaggerates small things?
AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Did she name names? Did she post a photo? If not, then how can social media "catch the guy". I would err on the side of caution, and tell her that you believe her, but that she needs to report it to the police.
You might be a king or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

And if you're wrong?
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Call her.