Child Support & Self Employment

Unread post

mrsmacgiver wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:57 pm
mrsjules79 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:49 pm
That's how it works but as she said, it varies greatly year to year.
If he agrees to pay her 20%, that’s a super straightforward calculation. Her support will vary year to year just like his income.
I've never heard of a court order like that and I don't know how that would work. They put a dollar sign on it and it can be adjusted every three years. That dollar amount will be 20% of whatever they think he earns in a year.

There's no way she would agree to a verbal agreement- and if she did, she would go back on it and ask for more.
It’s very common here, but all my divorced friends were married to investment bankers, hedge fund managers, or TV talk show hosts (think news, not fun). Since their income varies greatly from year to year, so do child support payments. I’m sure a judge would view it has Fair if they agree to it.
mrsmacgiver
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Guest wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:20 pm
mrsmacgiver wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:48 pm
Guest wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:57 pm

If he agrees to pay her 20%, that’s a super straightforward calculation. Her support will vary year to year just like his income.
I've never heard of a court order like that and I don't know how that would work. They put a dollar sign on it and it can be adjusted every three years. That dollar amount will be 20% of whatever they think he earns in a year.

There's no way she would agree to a verbal agreement- and if she did, she would go back on it and ask for more.
It’s very common here, but all my divorced friends were married to investment bankers, hedge fund managers, or TV talk show hosts (think news, not fun). Since their income varies greatly from year to year, so do child support payments. I’m sure a judge would view it has Fair if they agree to it.
I guess I'm just not getting it. How do they decide what the monthly payment will be if they don't know what their income will be for the total year? Do they pay the following year? Every quarter?
Zoegirlsmom
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

They based it on an average of the previous 3 years tax returns
Locked Previous topicNext topic