School threats. What would you do?

Unread post

There have been several concerning incidents at my kid's schools just in the past couple weeks. Last week my daughter's elementary school went on lockdown because there was someone yielding a long metal pipe and intimidating students with it right outside the school. Also last week, my oldest daughter got bullied at her middle school and received menacing messages telling her to kill herself or they will. Then today, when I dropped my daughter at the elementary school there was law enforcement everywhere. Come to find out the school had been threatened via email and threats written in graffiti on the exterior. Ugh!! This is in the LA school district but we have been here for two years and nothing like this has happened before. I used to feel safe dropping my kids off but now I don't. I'm tempted to just rip them out. Maybe I'm overreacting...but I don't think so. Has anything like thos happened at your child's school? If it did what dd you or would you do?
RedBottoms

Unread post

I live in suburbia and we have this stuff too. Its kinda everywhere now. They are taking anything that could be considered a threat super seriously now so this is what happens.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

*wielding

I would be moving to a better district or looking at private schools.

Unread post

ETA: The bullying incident at my dd's middle school was brought to the attention of the Principal. Their involvement helped but she is still receiving harrassing messags and being harrassed at school

Unread post

[quote=RedBottoms post_id=180397 time=1539052722 user_id=729]
I live in suburbia and we have this stuff too. Its kinda everywhere now. They are taking anything that could be considered a threat super seriously now so this is what happens.
[/quo

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know if this is everywhere. So sad. :(

Unread post

Smarties wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 pm *wielding

I would be moving to a better district or looking at private schools.
Thanks! Agreed!
RedBottoms

Unread post

Guest wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:43 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:38 pm I live in suburbia and we have this stuff too. Its kinda everywhere now. They are taking anything that could be considered a threat super seriously now so this is what happens.
[/quo

well its good and bad. Its good that they are taking things seriously so maybe just maybe-they can prevent the next school shooting or suicide etc.

But the bad part is kids are being suspended for just being frustrated and saying something in anger they would never actually follow through with and we are running into paranoia and overkill too

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:46 pm
Guest wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:43 pm
RedBottoms wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:38 pm I live in suburbia and we have this stuff too. Its kinda everywhere now. They are taking anything that could be considered a threat super seriously now so this is what happens.
[/quo

well its good and bad. Its good that they are taking things seriously so maybe just maybe-they can prevent the next school shooting or suicide etc.

But the bad part is kids are being suspended for just being frustrated and saying something in anger they would never actually follow through with and we are running into paranoia and overkill too
Yes, definitely but I'd rather they overreact than underreact.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I grew up in LA. I went to the public schools. One day in high school I was sitting in English class and police came through the door and told me to get out of my seat. So I did. The kid sitting next to be got yanked out of his, and turns out he had a loaded gun in his backpack. Why? Because someone was picking on him and he couldn't deal with it. They only found out he had it because his brother told on him. That gun could have gone off and someone could have gotten hurt.

After they took him out of class, I sat back down and class went on like nothing happened. They never sent a letter home or anything. My parents were shocked when I told them.

I would take them out, honestly. This is why we plan to homeschool.

famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Nothing like that has happened yet at DS's school. It's happened at my workplace though which is usually quiet. I don't know what I'd do. It's sad to say but it seems this is just how the world is and I guess we have to get used to it. There are a bunch of crazies running around because there is nowhere to house them. I don't think I'd pull them out because crazy shit is bound to happen at least once everywhere. When I was in high school it got kind of bad and the police automatically came everyday when school let out. Eventually they had an armed officer in the school at all times. That made me feel safer. School of choice really fucked us but I digress. Maybe petition for something like that. I will say I am super paranoid and have my head on a swivel when I'm out shopping. Especially in parking lots/garages.
Locked Previous topicNext topic