Drunk birds are wreaking havoc in Minnesota

brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

For some midwestern birds, it’s been 5 o’clock all week. After overindulging on boozy berries, the winged residents of Gilbert, Minnesota have been flying into windows, bumping into cars, and generally acting dazed and confused.

But don’t say they’re on a lark.

Their funky behavior might look like harmless fun, but that’s only from our unusual perspective. Humans are one of a very small number of animals that regularly, intentionally use toxins to mess with our own mental functions. Despite widespread anecdotes of elephants buzzed on marula fruit, moose smashed on rotting apples, and Carribean monkeys three sheets to the wind after too many piña coladas, most animals refuse hooch under laboratory conditions. And those creatures that do choose to imbibe tend to be able to hold their liquor. When it comes to intentional boozing, we humans are odd ducks indeed.

Minnesota’s bird bender seems to be the result of an early frost. Usually, most birds are already headed south by the time freezing temperatures trigger fermentation in local berries, according to a report from the Gilbert Police Department. But this year the frost came early. While the police did not identify which specific species were getting into trouble, Bohemian Waxwings have behaved similarly in the past, thanks to berry cocktails coming at an extremely inopportune moment.

“These particular birds,” says Gregory Jenson, a professor of animal behavior at Columbia University, “they’re about to undertake what to a human would be something like running 15 marathons back to back.” And just as many marathoners enjoy a big pasta meal the night before the race, migratory birds of all varieties engage in a feeding frenzy before winging their way south. This year, weird weather just happened to spike their main calorie source.
brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Waxwings: We don't always drink, but when we do, it's because we're desperately stockpiling pre-migration calories and have no other choice.
https://www.npr.org/2018/10/04/65448925 ... runk-birds
Attachments
wax.jpg
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Poor birds. :( That would be quite humorous to see though.
brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:56 pm Poor birds. :( That would be quite humorous to see though.
I agree, poor birds. It probably is sort of interesting to watch though, lol.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I saw this this morning and got a chuckle.
cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Give them some strong coffee to sober up!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Aww, I hope they are not too hungover to migrate.
brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:44 pm Aww, I hope they are not too hungover to migrate.
I've heard that some birds didn't migrate because of the early frost... :(
brandyblx
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

cellomom26 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:27 pm Give them some strong coffee to sober up!
:)
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Hopefully they aren't belligerent drunks or it will be The Birds movie...
Locked Previous topicNext topic