He shouldn't get a full share

cellomom26
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No way should he get a share.

It seems in groups of siblings, there is always one who expects to be catered to.

Don't cater to him.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'm assuming the no-money is wanting something because he contributed ideas to the creation of the company? At best, your DH and his other brother should put a dollar value on his intellectual contribution, pay him that, and then be done. And if he wants in at a later date then he can get in at that time for market value.

No matter what, DH and his partner-brother need to get a lawyer to draw up a contract outlining everything. Don't just assume things just because it's family. Have it all written out so there is no room for disagreement down the road.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:41 pm Dh shared his ideas for a business with his brothers. They wanted in and made some suggestions. This was six months ago. Well time has come to put money down. One brother said no. He doesn't have the money to spare. He thinks that he should still get a full share of the business.

Dh and the other brother are torn. I say that they should drop him from all talks and the business. Dh is doing all the money handling, business and sales part. The other brother is doing the creative part of the business. The cheap brother doesn't have a part really.

I didn't want dh to do this business with anyone. I have never liked business with family. I have a feeling this will bite us in the butt either way.

So should he get equal shares in a company when he is putting no money into it? No risk for him at all.
The brother who won't put the money down should not be part of the business at all. Have they gone to an attorney to draw up partnership papers for the two of them yet? They need it spelled out in a contract to protect both parties should one want to back out or buy the other out.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Absolutely not....what is he contributing, it sure isn't money
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:26 pm
jas wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:49 pm Will he ever invest? I mean, if he's financially strapped for now, but helped in the planning stage and can contribute in some manner other than financially, then he absolutely should get a share.
If he's not doing anything, won't ever do anything, then no.
he says he will put money in when he us sure that they won't lose it.
He gave some ideas, but so did I , mil, sil and others. He was all into the idea until he had to put money in.

That's not how investments work. You dont get any reward if you dont share in the risk.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Of course he shouldn't. Why is this even in question?!
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No if you don't take the risk you don't get the profits.
CotterpinDoozer
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, he doesn't get a share if he puts nothing in
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:49 pm I'm assuming the no-money is wanting something because he contributed ideas to the creation of the company? At best, your DH and his other brother should put a dollar value on his intellectual contribution, pay him that, and then be done. And if he wants in at a later date then he can get in at that time for market value.

No matter what, DH and his partner-brother need to get a lawyer to draw up a contract outlining everything. Don't just assume things just because it's family. Have it all written out so there is no room for disagreement down the road.
A bunch of people threw out ideas. It's not like he is the only one to give some ideas out. Most of the family has given ideas. The younger brother feels guilty for not letting the other brother in.
EmilyH87
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If you put nothing in then you get nothing out.
Dungeon & Dragons Shenanigans:
https://twitch.tv/teambonusaction
Locked Previous topicNext topic