He shouldn't get a full share

CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dh shared his ideas for a business with his brothers. They wanted in and made some suggestions. This was six months ago. Well time has come to put money down. One brother said no. He doesn't have the money to spare. He thinks that he should still get a full share of the business.

Dh and the other brother are torn. I say that they should drop him from all talks and the business. Dh is doing all the money handling, business and sales part. The other brother is doing the creative part of the business. The cheap brother doesn't have a part really.

I didn't want dh to do this business with anyone. I have never liked business with family. I have a feeling this will bite us in the butt either way.

So should he get equal shares in a company when he is putting no money into it? No risk for him at all.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Nope, no skin in the game no proceeds. That's not how life works.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Deleted User 638

Unread post

He's not entitled to a share and shouldn't get one.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No; if he wants a share, he needs to put up something.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Will he ever invest? I mean, if he's financially strapped for now, but helped in the planning stage and can contribute in some manner other than financially, then he absolutely should get a share.
If he's not doing anything, won't ever do anything, then no.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:49 pm Will he ever invest? I mean, if he's financially strapped for now, but helped in the planning stage and can contribute in some manner other than financially, then he absolutely should get a share.
he says he will put money in when he us sure that they won't lose it.
He gave some ideas, but so did I , mil, sil and others. He was all into the idea until he had to put money in.
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If he's not going to be contributing then he doesn't get a share, and spell out both contributions and shares contractually. In fact I'd suggest as watertight of a contract as you can.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:26 pm
jas wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:49 pm Will he ever invest? I mean, if he's financially strapped for now, but helped in the planning stage and can contribute in some manner other than financially, then he absolutely should get a share.
he says he will put money in when he us sure that they won't lose it.
He gave some ideas, but so did I , mil, sil and others. He was all into the idea until he had to put money in.
[/quo

So he wants all the rewards with none of the risk or work....Tell him that he can buy a share for full market value after it becomes a success
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No share until he puts up the money.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

CherryTreez wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:41 pm Dh shared his ideas for a business with his brothers. They wanted in and made some suggestions. This was six months ago. Well time has come to put money down. One brother said no. He doesn't have the money to spare. He thinks that he should still get a full share of the business.

Dh and the other brother are torn. I say that they should drop him from all talks and the business. Dh is doing all the money handling, business and sales part. The other brother is doing the creative part of the business. The cheap brother doesn't have a part really.

I didn't want dh to do this business with anyone. I have never liked business with family. I have a feeling this will bite us in the butt either way.

So should he get equal shares in a company when he is putting no money into it? No risk for him at all.
No. Share should be in direct proportion to contribution. You put nothing in, you get nothing out.
Locked Previous topicNext topic