MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MysticDreamer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:05 pm
Coffeetillcocktails wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:59 pm
MysticDreamer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:42 pm

She knows my stance on this, so that wouldn't be an issue. However, what she does any other time is on her.
You do realize that at a wedding there’s a whole other side that might have a very different stance right? So if the grooms side wants alcohol What will you do?
Let me make this crystal clear, since some have this illusion there is only one way to do this.

The family dynamics is set up where this will not be an issue.

All the events the extended family have are alcohol free. The other family will know this well ahead of time, that if they want an alcohol filled celebration, they can plan a separate celebration on their own, if having alcohol around is that damned important to them.
Wow!! So it's your way or the highway. Bet you are a lot of fun.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Deleted User 638

Unread post

MysticDreamer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:42 pm

She knows my stance on this, so that wouldn't be an issue. However, what she does any other time is on her.
You do realize that at a wedding there’s a whole other side that might have a very different stance right? So if the grooms side wants alcohol What will you do?
Let me make this crystal clear, since some have this illusion there is only one way to do this.

All the events the extended family have are alcohol free. The other family will know this well ahead of time, that if they want an alcohol filled celebration, they can plan a separate celebration on their own, if having alcohol around is that damned important to them.

Your children will be adults when they marry. Adults are entitled to make their own decisions. Don't be surprised if you're the one planning a separate celebration after the wedding.

Unread post

Please get a 2nd opinion because I don't think that's good advice to drink!! I used to drink more when I was younger. I used to think I could have a problem. I was raised by all drug addicts and alcoholics. Can't believe I made it not becoming like all of them. I didn't have one good role model in my life. All I knew is that I knew I didn't want to be like them. So I tried very hard not to be like them and then I cut them all out as well.

If you don't already have one, try to get a good therapist. Hugs!
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Blinx wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:19 pm How do you keep from being addicted?
Why do you drink?
What do you drink?
How often?

I have been having anxiety, and my psychiatrist jokingly said "a little whiskey would help!" Then refused to give me anxiety meds.
Im kind of considering a drink here and there. Im 27, and don't drink because my father was an alcoholic. But maybe in small amounts I'll be ok?
My dad was a depressive alcoholic. I swore that would never be me. My DH and I enjoy the rare cocktail or a nice glass of wine at home after dinner, but we don't drink to get drunk.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:34 pm

Wow!! So it's your way or the highway. Bet you are a lot of fun.
I am a lot of fun, actually. I'm not sure why people are taking issue with this, and guessing at the outcome of an event that has yet to occur.
Deleted User 1018

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:38 pm

Your children will be adults when they marry. Adults are entitled to make their own decisions. Don't be surprised if you're the one planning a separate celebration after the wedding.
I stated somewhere in this thread that it is a family dynamic straight across the board for this entire family, that every family event is alcohol free.

My daughter understands this dynamic and already does separate gatherings with alcohol service. When this event comes around, it will be no different.

This family has buried to many people who have died from alcohol addiction, so my house is not the only house that hosts alcohol free events. In fact, we are burying a family member this Saturday who has passed due to her alcohol addiction

Seriously. You do not know my life. Trust me, my hard stance isn't going to change how you all do things.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

MysticDreamer wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:15 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:38 pm

I stated somewhere in this thread that it is a family dynamic straight across the board for this entire family, that every family event is alcohol free.

My daughter understands this dynamic and already does separate gatherings with alcohol service. When this event comes around, it will be no different.

This family has buried to many people who have died from alcohol addiction, so my house is not the only house that hosts alcohol free events. In fact, we are burying a family member this Saturday who has passed due to her alcohol addiction

Seriously. You do not know my life. Trust me, my hard stance isn't going to change how you all do things.

I'm sorry for your losses. I hope your stance never causes friction within your family.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yes, I have a drink almost every evening, when I'm having dinner. It's my choice of indulgence. I don't really like dessert or sweets in general, but I love a well made drink. I pick my drink based on what I'm eating and what I'm in the mood for. I like making cocktails, and trying new food/drink pairings. It's fun and relaxing to me.

"How do you keep from being addicted?" is a weird question, to be honest. I can't say I have ever actively thought about that in my life. I doubt most people do. If I don't feel like drinking, or there is a reason why I shouldn't, say, if I'm going to be driving or I'm taking some sort of medication, I just don't drink and that's it. This isn't a decision that takes any effort on my part, just common sense.

All of that said, I think that your psychiatrist gave you terrible advice and you should look for a new one. You should never drink to hide from your problems. Self-medicating with alcohol is exactly how addicts are made, and I can't believe a psychiatrist would be irresponsible enough to suggest that, even as a joke.
SisterSomeone
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:33 pm
Coffeetillcocktails wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:10 pm

Ok. Weddings aren’t separate celebrations lol. Hope u don’t find yourself on the outside of an important event by being so rigid.

Sounds like you think there’s only one way to do it based on the completely unbending stance lol
All I can think about is vineyard mom from cafemom and God help us we don't need another sequel to that.
I actually kind of loved her, in a "this shit is bizarrely entertaining" sort of way. At first I felt kind of bad for her, but after a while it became comical how she utterly refused to consider the fact that she was the problem.
Justanotherperson
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Nope. I don't drink it at all. Can't get past the taste or smell of it. And can't stand the way it makes me feel. Not for me.
Locked Previous topicNext topic