Adulting class in high school

AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:42 pm I think that should be a MANDATORY class for all high schoolers
I do too. I know that I would have benefitted from a class like this. I have ADHD. My parents did not believe that girls could have ADHD. As a result, no matter how much I tried to tell them that I was not understanding how to APPLY the things that they were trying to teach me, they just assumed that I didn't give a damn, and gave up. I had to figure it out all on my own, through a lot of trial and error. I think that, in a classroom environment, with teachers that are accustomed to teaching children with all kinds of different learning styles and abilities, more teens will be able to enter the adult world armed with the ability to launch successfully. Can't see that as a bad thing.
You might be a king or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I wouldn't want it to be mandatory. A child who learns those things from their parents should be allowed to study something different that would benefit them more. It's a nice idea though.
nmkj
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Many people do the same but there a plenty of kids with shitty parents who aren't taught.
Anon wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:57 am I teach my kids that everyday
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

What a great class!
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It was called Single Survival when I was in high school.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AsteroidStar wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:15 pm
Fullxbusymom wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:03 pm
AsteroidStar wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 pm

This isn't a neighborhood school. It is an early college school where they can actually earn an associates degree at the same time as getting their high school credits. It's one of the top 10 high schools in the country. She really wants to go there.
Never heard of such a thing.
Well, you have now, lol. It's actually becoming more and more common across the country now. The magnet schools feed into them, and they are very competitive academically. A lot of them are STEM schools.
Interesting, as I said you learn something new everyday.
Iffrinn
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:59 am
AsteroidStar wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:55 am
Guest wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:54 am That class has always been Home Economics and has been taught in every high school around here well, since I was in school and Im 43 yrs old now.
Home Ec has always been an elective here, if it is even offered. This class is required in order to graduate.
I can understand it, my dd's boyfriend( who didnt grow up around here) had no clue how to do many of those things, so much so that my dd wrote her College entrance paper on the fact that High School's should teach more life skills .
This boyfriend not knowing how to do those things isn't really a school fail. It's a parenting fail.
I took HomeEc in middle school, but that was mostly cooking and sewing. It was my parents who taught me how to handle a bank account, budget, grocery shop, do basic home and car maintenance, etc. My mom used to babysit for friends sometimes, and let me 'help', and as I got older, I did babysitting to earn extra money, so I knew the basics of caring for a baby/small child.
SunshineDaydream
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:53 pm
Poietes wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:21 am
PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:16 am

Or they can't do it because they were never taught it themselves. You can't break a cycle without education. Count your blessings that you were born into a family able to teach you these things. Not all children are.
If you are not capable of teaching your children how to be an adult then you shouldn't have kids. That is what being a parent is. But so many people think it's just dressing up kids, feeding them then sending them off to let other people teach them to be human. Yes, I guess I'm lucky to actually have parents and grandparents who wanted to produce competent adults. We should all want that for our kids.
The point is society either helps parents or we get another generation of people who are ignorant in finances. I'd rather my tax dollars go to educate children. However drug and alcohol programs annoy the hell out of me. THAT parents should teach and the schools shouldn't have to.
How is that any different? The fact is, there WILL be parents who dont teach that, so what does society do? Step in and educate or let these kids grow up into drug addicts? Kind of a waste of that Adulting class.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SunshineDaydream wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 pm
Poietes wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:21 am

If you are not capable of teaching your children how to be an adult then you shouldn't have kids. That is what being a parent is. But so many people think it's just dressing up kids, feeding them then sending them off to let other people teach them to be human. Yes, I guess I'm lucky to actually have parents and grandparents who wanted to produce competent adults. We should all want that for our kids.
The point is society either helps parents or we get another generation of people who are ignorant in finances. I'd rather my tax dollars go to educate children. However drug and alcohol programs annoy the hell out of me. THAT parents should teach and the schools shouldn't have to.
How is that any different? The fact is, there WILL be parents who dont teach that, so what does society do? Step in and educate or let these kids grow up into drug addicts? Kind of a waste of that Adulting class.
You're right. It's just that I can see not understanding how to budget or handle finances. I can't see not being to tell your kids drinking to excess or taking heroin is bad for you. It's common sense. If we need drug education fine but between the two that bothers me more that's all.
SunshineDaydream
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:22 pm
SunshineDaydream wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:43 pm

You're right. It's just that I can see not understanding how to budget or handle finances. I can't see not being to tell your kids drinking to excess or taking heroin is bad for you. It's common sense. If we need drug education fine but between the two that bothers me more that's all.
I don't understand alot of things shitty parents do or don't do, but they are everywhere and society should protect and educate their children if they're not going to.
Locked Previous topicNext topic