Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:40 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:02 pm
Poietes wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:08 am

Is your child forced to sit through an English class that he doesn't need? This class does not need to be mandatory because some parents actually parent their children.
Every day. Right now they're reading a book she read in grade 1. While they read aloud she doodles, daydreams or comes up with new ways to try and take over the world. All of my children have been advanced in English because the house they have grown up in places an emphasis on reading and writing. I don't complain that there are other children in the class that actually need that education, though, because they aren't being taught it at home.
How does this become a judgement thread? And you're kids aren't the little geniuses that you claim because they grew up in places that emphasize reading and writing. Most kids who grew up that way are perfectly average readers and writers and not ready to graduate high school at 10 years old.
Nowhere did I say she was a little genius. She's capable of what she is because of the environment she grew up in. I was pointing out that a course that teaches kids how to do things like manage their finances and run a household are as important as English classes even if some children have already been taught them at home. My child grew up in a home that emphasized reading and writing and hers grew up in a home that taught her children how to manage their finances and thrive in the adult world. She's complaining that this is the responsibility of parents to teach their children these things and her children shouldn't be forced to sit through a class like that. I was attempting to point out that her argument was as invalid as my argument that all children shouldn't have mandatory English instruction. My 10 year old still can't quite figure out how to tie her shoelaces so she's nowhere near ready to go to highschool.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I know very few students who are academically driven and high ability who would not learn these skills at home from their parental unit. Typically children who have the academic proficiency to attend a school such as the school you describe have good role models & support as they transition to adulthood.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:48 pm
Lemons wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:40 pm

Every day. Right now they're reading a book she read in grade 1. While they read aloud she doodles, daydreams or comes up with new ways to try and take over the world. All of my children have been advanced in English because the house they have grown up in places an emphasis on reading and writing. I don't complain that there are other children in the class that actually need that education, though, because they aren't being taught it at home.
How does this become a judgement thread? And you're kids aren't the little geniuses that you claim because they grew up in places that emphasize reading and writing. Most kids who grew up that way are perfectly average readers and writers and not ready to graduate high school at 10 years old.
Nowhere did I say she was a little genius. She's capable of what she is because of the environment she grew up in. I was pointing out that a course that teaches kids how to do things like manage their finances and run a household are as important as English classes even if some children have already been taught them at home. My child grew up in a home that emphasized reading and writing and hers grew up in a home that taught her children how to manage their finances and thrive in the adult world. She's complaining that this is the responsibility of parents to teach their children these things and her children shouldn't be forced to sit through a class like that. I was attempting to point out that her argument was as invalid as my argument that all children shouldn't have mandatory English instruction. My 10 year old still can't quite figure out how to tie her shoelaces so she's nowhere near ready to go to highschool.
You inferred it by claiming she was doodling while the other children read a book she read 5 years earlier and that she was at university level. My point is that children can grow up with reading as number one priority and still struggle with it. Your daughter got lucky, she doesn't have a learning disability or anything in her way. She may have other disabilities if she can't tie her shoes but I would very much doubt it's because you didn't try and teach her. It's just not as simple as you imply.

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:08 am
PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:06 am

My 10 year old reads, writes and comprehends at a University level. Because my kid already knows this stuff we should stop teaching English and spelling to all kids whose parents aren't capable of teaching their children to read and write competently. Learning to balance a cheque book is no different than learning to read.
Is your child forced to sit through an English class that he doesn't need? This class does not need to be mandatory because some parents actually parent their children.

This is a parenting fail
RedBottoms

Unread post

I think that should be a MANDATORY class for all high schoolers
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

AsteroidStar wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:09 pm
Fullxbusymom wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:13 am
AsteroidStar wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:39 am My DD13 is in 8th grade,and the time has come for her to apply for high school. She wants to attend a very fast paced, high academic early college high school here in town. We were going over the course catalog(this thing is 63 pages long!) and one of the courses offered to seniors is "How to be an adult". It teaches budgeting, grocery shopping, balancing a checkbook, caring for a home(including basic maintenance), child development, how to do your taxes, among other things. I am really pleased about this. Too many kids are sent out into the world with very little concept on how to actually survive independently as adults.
That is a mandatory class in our public high school . Pretty common course now a days. I have never heard of applying for high schools before, guess you learn something new everyday.
This isn't a neighborhood school. It is an early college school where they can actually earn an associates degree at the same time as getting their high school credits. It's one of the top 10 high schools in the country. She really wants to go there.
Never heard of such a thing.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So...home economics?
flowerfunleah
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Very few use checks and checkbooks anymore.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:03 pm

That is a mandatory class in our public high school . Pretty common course now a days. I have never heard of applying for high schools before, guess you learn something new everyday.
This isn't a neighborhood school. It is an early college school where they can actually earn an associates degree at the same time as getting their high school credits. It's one of the top 10 high schools in the country. She really wants to go there.
If it's the United States some inner cities have such schools. Since most schools are paid for by property taxes the most expensive towns have the money to have the best high schools. It's the lower income areas that really have a use for this type of school.
AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:03 pm

Well, you have now, lol. It's actually becoming more and more common across the country now. The magnet schools feed into them, and they are very competitive academically. A lot of them are STEM schools.
You might be a king or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.
Locked Previous topicNext topic