Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:08 am
PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:06 am
Poietes wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:33 am

There is no excuse for a parent not being a parent. Maybe it should be an elective and if the parent chooses not to or is incapable of doing their job they should have to pay someone else to be the parent for them. I feel badly for these kids who's parents just wanted another accessory instead of the responsibility, but it should not be mandatory. My kids should not be forced to sit through a useless class when they already know this stuff.
My 10 year old reads, writes and comprehends at a University level. Because my kid already knows this stuff we should stop teaching English and spelling to all kids whose parents aren't capable of teaching their children to read and write competently. Learning to balance a cheque book is no different than learning to read.
Is your child forced to sit through an English class that he doesn't need? This class does not need to be mandatory because some parents actually parent their children.
Every day. Right now they're reading a book she read in grade 1. While they read aloud she doodles, daydreams or comes up with new ways to try and take over the world. All of my children have been advanced in English because the house they have grown up in places an emphasis on reading and writing. I don't complain that there are other children in the class that actually need that education, though, because they aren't being taught it at home.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:02 pm

My 10 year old reads, writes and comprehends at a University level. Because my kid already knows this stuff we should stop teaching English and spelling to all kids whose parents aren't capable of teaching their children to read and write competently. Learning to balance a cheque book is no different than learning to read.
Is your child forced to sit through an English class that he doesn't need? This class does not need to be mandatory because some parents actually parent their children.
Every day. Right now they're reading a book she read in grade 1. While they read aloud she doodles, daydreams or comes up with new ways to try and take over the world. All of my children have been advanced in English because the house they have grown up in places an emphasis on reading and writing. I don't complain that there are other children in the class that actually need that education, though, because they aren't being taught it at home.
That's a very crappy school you send your kids to then. Sad.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I will also add that when my 12 year old was 10 in 5th grade and way ahead in Math they would have him do the regular homework then when he was done way before everyone else they would let him work on a math program designed to teach him more advanced math. I would think instead of reading a book she's already read they would allow her to read to her age level. I know the school here does that too. It's sad they are stunting your child's education.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:07 pm

I will also add that when my 12 year old was 10 in 5th grade and way ahead in Math they would have him do the regular homework then when he was done way before everyone else they would let him work on a math program designed to teach him more advanced math. I would think instead of reading a book she's already read they would allow her to read to her age level. I know the school here does that too. It's sad they are stunting your child's education.
She reads her own books at home and we have discussions about them here. Trying to read to yourself while others are reading out loud is difficult but thank you for your concern over her education. She enjoys listening to the classroom discussions about the book.

Maybe taking an adulting class would teach your son a few other parts about being human...like seeing that not everyone has the same opportunities as others. That's a huge part of adulting that a lot of parents forget to teach their children because they're too busy sitting on their pedestal congratulating themselves on what great parents they are.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I never took a home economics class...it was an elective in my HS. I had zero desire to learn how to cook or sew. I already knew how to cook as I learned at a very early age and you couldn't pay me to learn how to sew. My poor mother tried to teach me for years, but I was too interested in playing football with the boys down the street. LOL
I have no clue if it is required here, but I believe it is still an elective. IMO, parents need to be teaching these life skills..unfortunately, many parents do not. A lot of kids don't have chores, have no clue how to do laundry, boil water, or how to handle finances. Heck, a lot of adults don't know how to handle their finances. How many posts did we have on CM and even on here about finances and how to budget?? This is the reason schools are taking up the slack.
Since we homeschool my girls won't be taking that type of class. They get those things day in and day out though. They understand budgets and how they work, Dh and I discuss retirement, insurance, etc in front of and with the kids already at their young ages so hopefully by the time they are in college, it will be "old hat" for them.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AsteroidStar wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:39 am My DD13 is in 8th grade,and the time has come for her to apply for high school. She wants to attend a very fast paced, high academic early college high school here in town. We were going over the course catalog(this thing is 63 pages long!) and one of the courses offered to seniors is "How to be an adult". It teaches budgeting, grocery shopping, balancing a checkbook, caring for a home(including basic maintenance), child development, how to do your taxes, among other things. I am really pleased about this. Too many kids are sent out into the world with very little concept on how to actually survive independently as adults.
My 8th grader had a class very much like that last year in 7th grade. They did budgeting, shopping, checkbook, rent/mortgage, running a business. I was so glad he had it and if he has something similar offered in HS I will encourage him to take it.

I'm glad your DD's class is talking about taxes. I work in a CPA office and I don't expect people to know everything about their taxes. If they did they wouldn't need the CPA. But it's astounding to me how oblivious some people are about even the very basics of how taxes work. I mean, that's your (general) money, you should at least have a basic concept of what is going on with it. I can't imagine being as ignorant as some people are.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

How does this become a judgement thread? And you're kids aren't the little geniuses that you claim because they grew up in places that emphasize reading and writing. Most kids who grew up that way are perfectly average readers and writers and not ready to graduate high school at 10 years old.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 am One more thing the schools have to do since parents don't want to parent. My parents taught me how to do all of that. It's sad that we want to pop out kids left and right but not actually raise them any more.
Some parents are ignorant themselves. Hence why people signed ARM mortgages and sub prime loans. I really don't see the problem with it. Ods learned budgeting and child care costs in health class. I think one can teach interest rates in economic classes. I am having a hard time getting ods to learn about investing his money. I think I'm going to have to literally do it for him. I barely can figure out the stock market and I know some people much worse than me. These things ought to be taught.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:21 am
PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:16 am
Poietes wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:32 am One more thing the schools have to do since parents don't want to parent. My parents taught me how to do all of that. It's sad that we want to pop out kids left and right but not actually raise them any more.
Or they can't do it because they were never taught it themselves. You can't break a cycle without education. Count your blessings that you were born into a family able to teach you these things. Not all children are.
If you are not capable of teaching your children how to be an adult then you shouldn't have kids. That is what being a parent is. But so many people think it's just dressing up kids, feeding them then sending them off to let other people teach them to be human. Yes, I guess I'm lucky to actually have parents and grandparents who wanted to produce competent adults. We should all want that for our kids.
The point is society either helps parents or we get another generation of people who are ignorant in finances. I'd rather my tax dollars go to educate children. However drug and alcohol programs annoy the hell out of me. THAT parents should teach and the schools shouldn't have to.
AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:13 am
AsteroidStar wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:39 am My DD13 is in 8th grade,and the time has come for her to apply for high school. She wants to attend a very fast paced, high academic early college high school here in town. We were going over the course catalog(this thing is 63 pages long!) and one of the courses offered to seniors is "How to be an adult". It teaches budgeting, grocery shopping, balancing a checkbook, caring for a home(including basic maintenance), child development, how to do your taxes, among other things. I am really pleased about this. Too many kids are sent out into the world with very little concept on how to actually survive independently as adults.
That is a mandatory class in our public high school . Pretty common course now a days. I have never heard of applying for high schools before, guess you learn something new everyday.
This isn't a neighborhood school. It is an early college school where they can actually earn an associates degree at the same time as getting their high school credits. It's one of the top 10 high schools in the country. She really wants to go there.
You might be a king or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.
Locked Previous topicNext topic