First time flyer

CrazyJenn
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My husband and I are leaving next week for a trip to Cancun. We've never flown before, and I'm starting to get nervous.
Anyone have some tips or tricks for me?
Maggie
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Flying isn’t super scary. I think for a first time flyer it’s normal to be nervous before hand. I like having a window seat so if you can I would try to grab one, it helps if you start feeling anxious to just look outside.
KendallsMom
Spoiled SAHM
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I've never flown and probably never will. Good luck and bump!
Spunky
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I've only flown once and won't ever do it again but here's a bump.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Chew gum to help with ear popping, for first time flyers take off and landing are the most nerve wracking. At take off engines are loud you will jet down the run way and then up until you get past the clouds it can be a little bumpy. The same at landing except there is a small bump as tires hit the run way and they put on the breaks as soon as the tires hit the run way but all of this is normal.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Just relax and be fine. Think about the fun you will have in Cancun when you get there.

Unread post

Get there early
Bring 🎧
Download music or videos onto your phone
Bring a book
Purchase a snack and drink after security
Wear comfortable clothes, slip on shoes (for security)
Just bring a small carry-on that will fit under your seat so you don’t have to fight for overhead bin space
Make sure you know the TSA guidelines for packing a carry-on and are prepared so you don’t hold up the security line

Take off and landing are abrupt and a little startling sometimes. I don’t recommend looking out a window on take-off if you are at all nervous. I fly a lot, and watching the ground fall away is still somehow unsettling. I do recommend looking out a window for landing, so you know when to brace yourself for touchdown.

Planes are built to withstand turbulence. Like massive amounts of turbulence. They are tested to limits that they won’t reach in the real world. Seriously, the wings can bend an insane amount. Turbulence scares people, but it is almost never a risk to the plane (but keep your seatbelt on while seated because that’s how it can injure people). Expect to experience it any time you pass through a cloud, so shortly after take off and before landing if there is any cloud cover.
Midnight_Storm
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I’m a nervous flyer, I find doing the last row seating and seating on the aisle causes me to be less anxious. Idk why, lol. Fullxbusymom and guest both have wonderful tips. I would also recommend taking an antihistamine the day before and day of if you have allergies. It’ll help reduce sinus pressure while flying, which can be painful at the higher altitude. Also wear comfortable shoes and clothes, nothing too constricting.
CrazyJenn
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Thanks for the responses!
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Double check the sizes of your carryons and what the airline allows, every one is different. You can take food through security but not drink. Take an empty water bottle and fill it at the fountain after security. Most airports now have those bottle filling fountains. Empty your pockets and take off any belts before you go through security. Wear shoes that are easy to take off and put on. Have your larger electronics easy to take out and put back in. Most of my anxiety is just getting through security but once I'm through and sitting at the gate I always feel much much better.

Have a great time!! We are going to Jamaica in January and it's my first time going out of the country. I'm a little nervous about the whole customs part but I'm very very excited.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Locked Previous topicNext topic