Any of you had clothing altered?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

If so, what about sweaters? I have some longer sweaters that would look better on me if they were a few inches shorter. I think I am shrinking in height!!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I've never had sweaters altered. The person who does alterations for us doesn't list that as something she does.
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I don't think it would be very easy to have a sweater altered due to unraveling.
Lolabearlow
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I have had everything from Bra and underwear to pants and skirts altered and I don’t think sweaters are something that they can do.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

You can not alter sweaters.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Ok. Do you think they alter polyester tops?
Fullxbusymom wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:12 pm You can not alter sweaters.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

It would depend on the type of sweater, I guess, but that would be challenging to do. What kind of fabric is it?
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’ve done lots of alterations for my family but I wouldn’t attempt a sweater. Too much danger of unraveling.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If the sweater is sewn as opposed to knitted or crocheted then it can be altered. When you knit things they're all one piece and if you cut into them they'll unravel. Some "sweaters" are made using sweater like material and those can be altered because the fabric has been woven in a way that helps it stop unravelling.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Unless these are expensive tops or sweaters, it may make sense just to spend a little more than alterations would cost and buy some new petite sized clothes. Otherwise yes, a seamstress can alter tops and sweaters. The machine stitching when doing alterations locks knitted material into place so it won't unravel. The only issue with sweaters is that the width of binded edges may change and you lose the look of the original sweater. Sometimes on a finer knit you can tuck in material and resew to keep the width the same and it looks okay but bulkier knits are trickier.
Locked Previous topicNext topic