S/O - I’m surprised so many don’t give allowances

Unread post

How do you expect your kids to get real experience in budgeting and saving?
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Good question.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Are you saying allowances are the only way to get that kind of education and experience?
OH well

Unread post

Guess mine won’t.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Allowances do no good without teaching budgeting. And I think kids won't truly learn it until they have bills to pay. Use them or don't it really doesn't matter.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Jobs. Simple
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Jobs
Coffeetillcocktails
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I don’t see how an allowance necessarily teaches that either. I wouldn’t micromanage their allowance. They earn it they can do what they want with it.

I teach them by discussion just like most things in life and then they apply it when the time comes and make mistakes and learn. They will get jobs and bills gradually and learn from there based on the advice I’ve given them. And I’m sure they will fail too which will teach them more.
AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

How does giving someone money teach them how to earn, save, and spend properly? If my kids want to earn money, we talk about extra stuff to do above and beyond their regular chores.
You might be a king or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Unread post

My kids never had allowances. They just had debit cards linked to my account and eventually their own savings accounts. They learnt how to budget just fine
Locked Previous topicNext topic