I do not understand this

CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Parents who expect their kids to come home to visit. My inlaws thought we had to come to them all the time. It made sense that two broke college kids should take unpaid leave to fly to see you.

I stopped that and it caused problems with the inlaws. My other friends parents did the same thing. Expected the kids to fly home to see them. Never went to see them.

When my kids are in college, I will fly to see them. If they will let me. Stay in a hotel and see how they live. Spoil them for a weekend and fly home. I never want to make things harder on my kids.
I will also pay for flights for them to come see us here.

I don't get the idea that all visits have to be 'Home'.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Agreed. If I wanted my kid home from college I would pay for his travel expenses.
AsteroidStar
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

IDK, personally I prefer to go see other people, rather than having to host them. I will host, but yeah, a vacation sounds better to me than the pressure of having to entertain people.
You might be a king or a lowly street sweeper, but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.
Cupcake
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I would expect my kid to come home. However I would pay for everything. The flight and time missed if they work.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Mine always came home, they didn’t have jobs that prevented it and we paid. It was easier for him to come back than it was for us to go there, and it was cheaper.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Cupcake wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:14 am I would expect my kid to come home. However I would pay for everything. The flight and time missed if they work.
They didn't pay for anything. We both worked to get through college. We didn't get help from anyone. It cost us a lot to fly to see them. It was never easy.
CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:15 am Mine always came home, they didn’t have jobs that prevented it and we paid. It was easier for him to come back than it was for us to go there, and it was cheaper.
We both worked. My inlaws didn't pay for anything towards his college. Missing days off work was hard. I worked for a smaller company. It made things really hard for me.
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I don't really get the idea of someone moving away then expecting everyone to come to them. For college kids it's different. I have an acquaintance who bitches about this all the time on FB. No one comes to visit me, blah, blah, blah. Well you moved Up North.
GUESTS 222

Unread post

famousglm714 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:26 am I don't really get the idea of someone moving away then expecting everyone to come to them. For college kids it's different. I have an acquaintance who bitches about this all the time on FB. No one comes to visit me, blah, blah, blah. Well you moved Up North.
The road works both ways. This is why we havent seen the in laws in 5 years
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

My son is away in college a few states away and I always pay for his flights to visit home. I don't feel the need to sit in Newark NJ for the weekend in a hotel near his college. It makes more sense to fly him home on his long breaks.
Locked Previous topicNext topic