Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Guest wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:48 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:46 pm
Guest wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:27 pm

I am sorry I did misread what you said.

I used to volunteer in the office and most kids are not late for school. It isnt a huge problem

How is SM running into the school bending over backwards? She is mad at SM and that is 100% okay but she will move on. SM offered to take her to work that should have involve signing her in after a situation that made them late that was out of their control
Huge problem or not a district that has a rule that students legally capable of getting themselves to school without adult accompaniment must be signed in by an adult is discriminatory. There are no two ways about that. Children who have a parent capable of signing them in won't get detention and can go to the dance but a student who doesn't have an adult who can do that is given detention and isn't allowed to go to that dance. Last I checked both students were late. One is allowed to get away with the lateness because they are lucky enough to have an adult willing and able to sign them in and one is punished for the lateness because they don't have the same luxury. One time or 10 it is a problem. Tell your daughter that what she is experiencing is what a lot of kids throughout her district experience. Again, she can cry and moan about it or she can do something about it.

So, having worked in the office what does happen when a child doesn't hav a parent capable of physically signing them in? Let me guess...in the history of the school this has never happened.
I have already answered this. They get a detention.

Many places have it so a parent HAS to sign a kid in. You dont have to believe it but that is the realit

That is clear cut discrimination against students with disabled parents who physically cannot sign their child in. This is crying for a lawsuit and quit frankly I'm not sure how one hasn't been brought up to the board yet.
i want candy!
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Guest wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:03 pm
Pjmm wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Huge problem or not a district that has a rule that students legally capable of getting themselves to school without adult accompaniment must be signed in by an adult is discriminatory. There are no two ways about that. Children who have a parent capable of signing them in won't get detention and can go to the dance but a student who doesn't have an adult who can do that is given detention and isn't allowed to go to that dance. Last I checked both students were late. One is allowed to get away with the lateness because they are lucky enough to have an adult willing and able to sign them in and one is punished for the lateness because they don't have the same luxury. One time or 10 it is a problem. Tell your daughter that what she is experiencing is what a lot of kids throughout her district experience. Again, she can cry and moan about it or she can do something about it.

So, having worked in the office what does happen when a child doesn't hav a parent capable of physically signing them in? Let me guess...in the history of the school this has never happened.
That's what I was just saying. In high school my presence doesn't matter. They want a good reason for the tardy.. usually a written doctors note. That's the way it's always been here.
Here the school will still do a tardy or absence depending on how late it is. The student just doesnt get a detention if they are signed in by a parent
The key phrase here is "if they are signed in by a parent". My 15 year old takes the bus from school to the doctors and returns to school. I don't go with her unless my presence is required. So, if she had a doctors appointment at 900 and arrived to school at 1030 you're telling me that I would need to be physically present to sign her in? Do you live in a place that doesn't have phones or paper to make a phone call or write a note to explain a kid's tardiness or absence? If not the school is punishing children who have two parents who work or single parents who probably can't afford to take time off work to sign a kid into school.

Unread post

madfoodie wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:39 pm

Many places have it so a parent HAS to sign a kid in. You dont have to believe it but that is the realit

That is clear cut discrimination against students with disabled parents who physically cannot sign their child in. This is crying for a lawsuit and quit frankly I'm not sure how one hasn't been brought up to the board yet.
I am sure there are disability accommodations for those who physically can not sign them in but a parent/adult has to be there

The board agrees with the rule or it wouldnt be there. The whol district has the rule. This is a very common rule in many places.

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 am
Pjmm wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:50 pm

That's what I was just saying. In high school my presence doesn't matter. They want a good reason for the tardy.. usually a written doctors note. That's the way it's always been here.
Here the school will still do a tardy or absence depending on how late it is. The student just doesnt get a detention if they are signed in by a parent
The key phrase here is "if they are signed in by a parent". My 15 year old takes the bus from school to the doctors and returns to school. I don't go with her unless my presence is required. So, if she had a doctors appointment at 900 and arrived to school at 1030 you're telling me that I would need to be physically present to sign her in? Do you live in a place that doesn't have phones or paper to make a phone call or write a note to explain a kid's tardiness or absence? If not the school is punishing children who have two parents who work or single parents who probably can't afford to take time off work to sign a kid into school.
Yes you would have to physically be there for her to avoid the detention.

Of course we have phones and notes but they are not accepted unless a parent/adult is physically there.

This is a rule in many places.

Unread post

SeekingPeace wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:40 pm Did I read this correctly? After ONE tardiness, the student gets a detention and also can not attend school events?
If you have a detention you can not attend any school events that week
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:18 am

I am sure there are disability accommodations for those who physically can not sign them in but a parent/adult has to be there

The board agrees with the rule or it wouldnt be there. The whol district has the rule. This is a very common rule in many places.
And sometimes rules need to be changed. So you can go around blaming the SM for the detention or fight the rule that is highly discriminatory. I'm guessing you're just going to go with "boo hoo, it's the rules and SM is a big bitch who doesn't love my daughter".

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 am

And sometimes rules need to be changed. So you can go around blaming the SM for the detention or fight the rule that is highly discriminatory. I'm guessing you're just going to go with "boo hoo, it's the rules and SM is a big bitch who doesn't love my daughter".

The same rule has been there since I went to that same school many years ago. SM went there also so she knew the rule and that DD would have to miss out. You dont see how messed up that is?

The school isnt going to change the rule, the district isnt going to change the rule, they like it and that is the norm for the area. It has been a rule for at least 50 years.

All SM had to do was walk the 10 feet into the door and sign something, you honestly wouldnt be mad that someone was too lazy to do that and now your child was missing out? Bullshit
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:20 am
PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 am

Yes you would have to physically be there for her to avoid the detention.

Of course we have phones and notes but they are not accepted unless a parent/adult is physically there.

This is a rule in many places.
Then I guess my kids would have a lot of detentions if we lived in whatever backwoods place you live because I can't afford to travel 40 minutes back and forth to sign one of my kids into school. Just tell your daughter to pretend she's the kid of a single mom, suck it up and deal or do something to change things. While I get that your school district has this absolutely outragous rule and you seem to have no desire to change it I feel no sympathy for your child or you when there are many children in the school who are getting detentions because they don't have a parent willling or able to sign them in. A rights lawyer would have a field day with this school district.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Can she go down now and sign something saying it was her fault? It sucks that your daughter has to suffer for that. :(

PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:25 am
PoplarGrove wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:23 am

The same rule has been there since I went to that same school many years ago. SM went there also so she knew the rule and that DD would have to miss out. You dont see how messed up that is?

The school isnt going to change the rule, the district isnt going to change the rule, they like it and that is the norm for the area. It has been a rule for at least 50 years.

All SM had to do was walk the 10 feet into the door and sign something, you honestly wouldnt be mad that someone was too lazy to do that and now your child was missing out? Bullshit
No, I wouldn't. I would be fighting the school district to change the rule. Blacks weren't allowed to sit at the front of the bus because it was the "rule", women weren't allowed to vote because it was the "rule", girls were shamed for showing their shoulders at school because it was the "rule", mentally ill/intellectually disabled students were treated like lepers and allowed to fail because it was the way things were always done and then someone did something about it.

I see how messed up the rule is and I'd be pissed that not one person in the history of the town thought to do something about such an outdated rule. I wouldn't be wallowing in self pity and blaming someone I'd be doing something about the rule in general.
Locked Previous topicNext topic