SM is lazy so DD cant go to the school dance

Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DDPickles86 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:01 am I dont believe this.
Once I was late to school helping my father with a broken down car. He went in and explained the situation. I still got detention because it was 'unexcused' and I'd had too many already. So sometimes schools just dgaf. I find it hard to believe she can't go to a dance due to a detention for one measly tardy. I was incorribly late and still went to all activities. Whatever.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Guest wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:27 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:23 pm
Guest wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:14 pm

No one living 40 minutes away from the school would be going to the school.

If a kid is late they are either signed in or given a detention
ya...no one LIVING 40 minutes from the school would be going to it. But some of us who live in the real world work more that 10 minutes from our house and our kids school. I have a 40 mintue commute to work every morning. Your school district seems to have a rule that punishes the children of single and working parents. The lesson for you dd here is that in the real world people aren't going to bend over backwards to make your life nice and comfy. If your dd thinks this rule is bullshit then she can either sit in her room and cry her little eyes out and be mad at the big bad step mom or she can fight the school district and show how this rule is discriminatory. Not YOU or YOUR EX but HER. It's her that's getting screwed by this rule.
I am sorry I did misread what you said.

I used to volunteer in the office and most kids are not late for school. It isnt a huge problem

How is SM running into the school bending over backwards? She is mad at SM and that is 100% okay but she will move on. SM offered to take her to work that should have involve signing her in after a situation that made them late that was out of their control
Huge problem or not a district that has a rule that students legally capable of getting themselves to school without adult accompaniment must be signed in by an adult is discriminatory. There are no two ways about that. Children who have a parent capable of signing them in won't get detention and can go to the dance but a student who doesn't have an adult who can do that is given detention and isn't allowed to go to that dance. Last I checked both students were late. One is allowed to get away with the lateness because they are lucky enough to have an adult willing and able to sign them in and one is punished for the lateness because they don't have the same luxury. One time or 10 it is a problem. Tell your daughter that what she is experiencing is what a lot of kids throughout her district experience. Again, she can cry and moan about it or she can do something about it.

So, having worked in the office what does happen when a child doesn't hav a parent capable of physically signing them in? Let me guess...in the history of the school this has never happened.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:57 pm
PoplarGrove wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:38 pm a high school expects the parents to come in and sign a 14 year old in or they're considered absent? I'm at work when my highschooler leaves for school as are a lot of parents in the real world. If this rule is true (which I'm highly doubting since my 10 year old is able to sign herself in at the office of her school if she's less than 20 minutes late) your school district needs to be called to task over the fact that many 14 year olds don't have a parent available to physically sign them in late...because most parents of 14 year olds are trying to teach their kids to be adults and handle this shit on their own. It honestly looks like the only adult in this equation wanting your daughter to act like the young adult she is is her SM.
A parent having to sign a student is normal everywhere I have ever lived which is a lot of places.

I am not sure how SM being too lazy to get out of the car is teaching DD something.
At our school I can sign him in or not- it's still going to be unexcused. He's still going to get lunch detention unless it was an appointment of some sort. It's a stupid policy that the school treats a tardy as an absence- obviously the kid is there.

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:46 pm

ya...no one LIVING 40 minutes from the school would be going to it. But some of us who live in the real world work more that 10 minutes from our house and our kids school. I have a 40 mintue commute to work every morning. Your school district seems to have a rule that punishes the children of single and working parents. The lesson for you dd here is that in the real world people aren't going to bend over backwards to make your life nice and comfy. If your dd thinks this rule is bullshit then she can either sit in her room and cry her little eyes out and be mad at the big bad step mom or she can fight the school district and show how this rule is discriminatory. Not YOU or YOUR EX but HER. It's her that's getting screwed by this rule.

I used to volunteer in the office and most kids are not late for school. It isnt a huge problem

How is SM running into the school bending over backwards? She is mad at SM and that is 100% okay but she will move on. SM offered to take her to work that should have involve signing her in after a situation that made them late that was out of their control
Huge problem or not a district that has a rule that students legally capable of getting themselves to school without adult accompaniment must be signed in by an adult is discriminatory. There are no two ways about that. Children who have a parent capable of signing them in won't get detention and can go to the dance but a student who doesn't have an adult who can do that is given detention and isn't allowed to go to that dance. Last I checked both students were late. One is allowed to get away with the lateness because they are lucky enough to have an adult willing and able to sign them in and one is punished for the lateness because they don't have the same luxury. One time or 10 it is a problem. Tell your daughter that what she is experiencing is what a lot of kids throughout her district experience. Again, she can cry and moan about it or she can do something about it.

So, having worked in the office what does happen when a child doesn't hav a parent capable of physically signing them in? Let me guess...in the history of the school this has never happened.
I have already answered this. They get a detention.

Many places have it so a parent HAS to sign a kid in. You dont have to believe it but that is the reality
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That's what I was just saying. In high school my presence doesn't matter. They want a good reason for the tardy.. usually a written doctors note. That's the way it's always been here.

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:50 pm

That's what I was just saying. In high school my presence doesn't matter. They want a good reason for the tardy.. usually a written doctors note. That's the way it's always been here.
Here the school will still do a tardy or absence depending on how late it is. The student just doesnt get a detention if they are signed in by a parent
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Guest wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:03 pm
Pjmm wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:50 pm

Here the school will still do a tardy or absence depending on how late it is. The student just doesnt get a detention if they are signed in by a parent
Im sorry I think that IS discrimination. The other person is right.. some parents will lie for their kids. Some Kids are honest. There were times I couldn't have gone in with yds when he was in middle school..I had gone to work and why should I leave anyway when it was HIS damn fault he was late? He used to walk slower than a turtle some days. But some parents will sign in a child who overslept or didn't want to go.. others won't. It's not fair to the kids because this is all parent dependent.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If Dad calls to let them know the situation, they HAVE to excuse the tardy. They don't get to say he can't excuse his child's tardy.

I would go to the dance anyway and tell the school to eat shit.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
SeekingPeace
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Did I read this correctly? After ONE tardiness, the student gets a detention and also can not attend school events?
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Guest wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:49 am
Guest wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:44 am Holding the child responsible for that is ridiculous and I would be calling everyone higher up than the principal. I don't do it often, but if I feel strongly enough about something, I'll bitch ass make waves and make people miserable until something is done about it.
The policy is district wide so there isnt much we can do about it. If it was just the principal's personal rule we might have a chance
Superintendent then the board.
i want candy!
Locked Previous topicNext topic