Teenaged mother. She did so much better than me!

Unread post

I was the stereotypical teenaged mother. Foolish little worthless small-town girl with nothing going on who got pregnant at the age of 15 and gave birth at 16. I was told over and over by many older people that I'd messed up horribly. That I'd done my unborn child a huge disservice. That he or she would live a life of poverty and nothingness. They'd follow right in my footsteps.

So, I made it my life's mission to see to it that that didn't happen. And in the spring of 2016, she graduated high school WITH HONORS, unwed and childless. I posted about that on Cafemom. And today, she turned 21. She will also have her degree at the end of this semester and then continue on to a four year university.

She's a somebody, y'all. She's actually going to be a somebody. She's not dumb and stuck like her mom. She'll have an education and a bright future. Here I thought I'd done an innocent child this disservice that couldn't be undone. People told me that I couldn't wait to play house and sneered at me when I said that I'd do everything I possibly could to make sure she's be better than me and here she is. Better than me. She's educated! She's beautiful! I didn't f**k her up. I didn't ruin her. That has been my biggest fear since 9/30/97 and it didn't happen. I can't even take credit for it, though. She's done all the work. She's been the good girl I wasn't. I'm just blown away and relieved beyond words that she made it through in a good way.

I only made this post because I'm a proud mother of a child who has reached another big milestone. Whatever mom site is still up in another four years will see my next post when she's earned her next degree. You can call me whatever; that's fine. But SHE is a somebody and came out better than what I was told she would. My girl...
Reedusstalker

Unread post

You did awesome in teaching her to do better. You should very proud of yourself
Victoriousmom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Good for her! You not so much.
Shell7m
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My friend of 23 years had her son in high school and he turned out amazing! All gifted classes in school and now he's in the military and married to an amazing woman and is going places. I'm so proud of that boy. He just turned 22 and I couldn't be happier for him. :)

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:49 pm You did awesome in teaching her to do better. You should very proud of yourself
I'm just proud of her. You know? Can't believe she's of drinking age. When the heck did that happen? I remember when she was still in onesies. I remember when she sucked her thumb!

Unread post

Victoriousmom wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:50 pm Good for her! You not so much.
I'm aware. I just feel a huge weight off my shoulders right now and a lot of pride for her.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

You can go back to school too, you know.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

You can go back to school too, you know.

Unread post

Shell7m wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 pm My friend of 23 years had her son in high school and he turned out amazing! All gifted classes in school and now he's in the military and married to an amazing woman and is going places. I'm so proud of that boy. He just turned 22 and I couldn't be happier for him. :)
That's awesome for him 👍.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Congratulations! She's lucky to have such a determined, loving mother.
Locked Previous topicNext topic