Jobs for recent immigrants?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My grandfather and his wife are moving here, to move in with my parents. They are getting older and need help with some things. My grandfather still works and still wants to work, but doesn't know what kinds of jobs he could get here. He is a sushi chef, but there isn't really a market for that in our upstate NY town and there isn't the same access to the ingredients he is used to working with. There are some sushi restaurants in neighboring larger towns, but he doesn't drive. His line of work doesn't really exist here, so he will have to find something else to do. He knows only very basic English. Any ideas for jobs that could be good for him?
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

That's going to be extremely hard. Does he have any other chef skills? What is his actual work status as in the type of visa he is on here?
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 6:52 pm My grandfather and his wife are moving here, to move in with my parents. They are getting older and need help with some things. My grandfather still works and still wants to work, but doesn't know what kinds of jobs he could get here. He is a sushi chef, but there isn't really a market for that in our upstate NY town and there isn't the same access to the ingredients he is used to working with. There are some sushi restaurants in neighboring larger towns, but he doesn't drive. His line of work doesn't really exist here, so he will have to find something else to do. He knows only very basic English. Any ideas for jobs that could be good for him?
We have supermarkets here with fresh made sushi departments. Maybe look around for that.
Kristen.Marie
Peon

Unread post

Grocery store sushi counter
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Kristen.Marie wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:05 pm Grocery store sushi counter
That's what I said too. Sounds kinda perfect.
CMrefugee
Donated
Donated
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

No fish markets nearby? Perhaps a seafood bar or restaurant where he can filet and cut fish? Grocery stars sell sushi around here, maybe your local ones do too?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They don't have one at the local store.
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 10:20 pm