Do we have any homeschoolers here?

Mom Talk is a group for moms to come for advice and should be looked at as a more supportive community than Mom Confessions. Those who aren’t here for drama but want to connect with other moms or have questions about parenting can hang out here.
Iffrinn
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

When my oldest was nearing K age, we also had a 3 year old. We lived in the town in which my husband had grown up, and our kids would have attended the same schools. Dh told me that he did NOT want that for our kids, as he felt he received a substandard education there.

I had attended private schools myself, so I began looking into those for our dd. I was put off by the cost, especially knowing we had another child heading to school right behind our oldest. While I was gathering info and trying to decide what to do, I met the children of a man with whom my dh worked. These kids, all elementary aged or younger, were cute, funny, and very intelligent! When I complemented the gentleman on his kids, he said that most of the credit belonged to his wife, who homeschooled all of the children. I asked "What's that?" and he laughed and said, "I'll have my wife bring you some information". Two days later this lady brought me several books on homeschooling, samples of curriculum she had used, curriculum catalogs, a stack of newsletters from a local homeschool group, and a list of websites to explore.

As a former K and elementary teacher, I was skeptical, but we decided to give it a try, and never looked back! My two high school graduates have accredited diplomas from an umbrella school, and had no trouble getting into college. My oldest has now finished college, and my middle child will start college in the fall. Our youngest is 16, and just finished up the 10th grade. He is very mechanically inclined, and while he is a pretty good student, he doesn't particularly like "school work', so he is leaning more toward going to vocational school than a 4 year university. We are 100% behind him on that.
purplesimon
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

My kids are not being homeschooled, but I have been looking for one. I did find one that I fell in love with, however, it cost more than my mortgage.
Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I have homeschooled since my oldest was 4. He's turning 11 next week. We use a charter homeschool program that's starting him in online high school classes next year. I have mixed feelings about it honestly.
I also have a just turned 8 year old who will be using a different homeschool charter next year.
CompassRose
Viscountess
Viscountess

Unread post

I homeschool. I put together my kids curriculum from different sources and focus more on subjects they struggle in when the need arises. I have noticed the older they get the more structured it is.
"Let your heart be your compass, your mind your map, and your soul be your guide."

Smaug
Commoner
Commoner

Unread post

This is our fifth year homeschooling, and we love it. We're more structured than not, but we do put the regular texts to the side every once in awhile to concentrate on something they're really interested in.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

We just finished our 4th year. I use Abeka for my youngest for every subject, although I do supplement at times as well. My oldest uses Abeka for everything but math. Math is Saxon. When she starts 8th grade, we are leaning towarda enrolling her in a virtual school that isnaccredited and solely for homeschoolers and private schoolers in our state. Our state still considers it homeschooling as it is not public school like K-12. They are fully accredited and handle all transcripts. It is set up like college courses where you can choose the classes you wish to take that semester. Since my girls have all of their electives and foreign language covered by our co-op they will not have to take those through the online school.. I can just have them added to the transcript.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
kajira
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I do about a 50% unschooling approach for a large chunk of our day and then a 2-3 period of course work that's recorded online using acellus.com - especially for my teenager. I want to be able to do the main 4 classes, and 2 extras on there, so when I write out his high school stuff, I can prove what he did.
I'm alot more lax with my 7 year old, as long as she reads a couple books, and does hand writing practice by showing her little brother the alphabet (and write 1 story a week for me.) I'm totally cool if she watches magic school bus or wild something tv show. LOL

The kids learn a lot by just doing stuff every day on a farm, including measuring, using math, we discuss how environmental stuff effects society/populations, we discuss religion (and not just one religion) and other things like being vegans (since recently they over-saw someone saying that people who had hobby farms are unethical immoral people and it brought that up in a way where my kids were wondering why they felt it was okay to call people names and uneducated because they disagreed with our way of life.)

It's been a lot of fun doing it this way, and then for their "book work" stuff, it's designed by teachers and only 9month per student to keep records and prove work.
kajira
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

purplesimon wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:41 pm My kids are not being homeschooled, but I have been looking for one. I did find one that I fell in love with, however, it cost more than my mortgage.
Look into acellus.com its only 9month per homeschool student.
Godsgirl2469
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

I home school my boys. They graduate next year.
Godsgirl2469
Lady in Waiting
Lady in Waiting

Unread post

a little bit of everything. We have used Abeka, Christian Liberty press, Landmark Baptist, Alpha and Omega, Math u see. What do you use?
Locked Previous topicNext topic