How Does This Happen a THIRD Time?????

Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My debit card has been compromised two other times previously. I caught the first time, the fraud division caught it the second time. Both times, the card had to be frozen and a new one issued.

Woke up this morning to check the bank account and I'm $70 in the negative thanks for four huge charges to iTunes.

Bank is closed today. I emailed them via my online banking, but nothing can be done about it until tomorrow.

This is the THIRD time in less than a year. I suspect it's someone who has access to account info with a few bills my debit card is tied to (Netflix, Hulu, city water/sewer service, cell service, etc). It's the only thing I can think of because I just got this card replaced a month ago and those are the only things it is tied to. I haven't even had a chance to do any online shopping, LOL.

I have to go to the store today. Thank god my savings is untouched. I can withdraw the cash from an ATM and go to the store. No way in hell am I transferring that money to my checking.

UPDATE - fraud services just called. i know they'll freeze my card, so i'm gonna go and pull the cash and then call them back to get the transactions reversed and freeze the damned card.....AGAIN.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You really shouldn't link anything directly to your checking account. That's what credit cards are good for.
Vanillacupcake
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Are you sure the fraud division isn't open 24/7?
Mine is.

But you would know as much as you have dealt with them.

Are you thinking it is someone you know? I would be getting a prepaid debit card to pay for all that stuff!!
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

bmw29 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:33 am You really shouldn't link anything directly to your checking account. That's what credit cards are good for.
I'm actually going to get a pre-paid card I can just load cash on. I just find it mind boggling that after using these services for YEARS without any issue, all of a sudden I'm dealing with fraud charges.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Vanillacupcake wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:36 am Are you sure the fraud division isn't open 24/7?
Mine is.

But you would know as much as you have dealt with them.

Are you thinking it is someone you know? I would be getting a prepaid debit card to pay for all that stuff!!
The charges happened overnight so it appears I caught it first. Fraud division just tried to call me. I am getting ready to run to the store, so I have to wait to call them back so I can use the ATM before they freeze the card.

I was just saying in another reply that I most likely will just get a pre-paid card to handle my online bills. Talk about pain in the ass, tho. It's only been the last 8 months or so this has been an issue. First time was possibly from a data breach with Great Wolf Lodge. But second and third time I don't know because those cards have only ever been connected with my bills.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I am so sorry. That really sucks.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would get a prepaid card and link it to bills instead of your bank card. That way if it happens again you know for sure it's not someone at Netflix, etc and it has to be someone at your bank.

Unread post

You probably know this but never ever use debit at the pump. Always run as credit or pay inside.

This sucks. It’s been about 2 years since my debit card was compromised it’s due lol.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

This is why financial and security experts recommend you never use your debit card for online purchasing. Get a separate credit card and use it only for online purchases.
Shadowgirl1123

Unread post

It’s likely a gas station you are using regularly. The pump likely has a skimmer installed on it.

I use a credit card for all of my purchases and track them just like I would debit card purchases in my register. I pay off the balance each month so that I don’t pay interest and get rewards points for using the card. If it gets compromised it’s only my credit limit and not my account where my bills come out that’s effected.
Locked Previous topicNext topic