I'm 35 years old and I've never.....

Oliviasmom72
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Leading is only good if you drive very little and want a new car every2 or 3 years. You have to still put Down a couple Grand usually to get your payments low

Carmax is no better than any other dealer but they buy high volume and most dealers can get you financing but the problem is you will pay a high interest rate and probably never pay the car off before 6 or 7 years.

Buy a less expensive newer model car under $10k and clean your credit up. Honestly you should never pay more than 5 or 6% interest at the most. If your credit is that bad but cheap and when your credit score is good and you can buy at 2-3% it makes s huge difference.
anonforever
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:42 pm That stinks. You're going to end up with a car payment AND repairs simultaneously.
SunshineDaydream wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:59 pm
Guest wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am The thing is, the $10-13,000 range is indicative of the time cars start needing work. You're looking at vans with higher miles/years at that price point.
If it doesn't have to be a minivan, you're bettter off getting a brand new cheap car, like a Nissan Versa or something. They start within your budget and you'll have a warranty.
It has to be a minivan. We are a family of 5-- + 2 biggish dogs--who camp and take road trips often. We pack a minivan to the brim 😒
That's not necessarily true. We bought our van outright with 134k miles on it and we had it for 6 years before we had to drop big cash into it. And the big cash we spent wasn't even what was wrong it was a 50 dollar fuel pump that we had just replaced a year prior lol... Hubby was doing all the work though with guidance from his friend whos a mechanic. So it was a well it could be this or this or this or that kinda thing. Now I have a van with 198k on it and all new exhaust, new computer, new sensors, fuel pump, distributor, plugs, fuel injectors lol the list goes on and on of things we bought trying to get it running and it turned out to be the stupid fuel pump. My point is the previous owner took really good care of it and we continued to do the same so we haven't had to do anything major most of the stuff we did do although it did cost us several grand over the course of a few months didn't really need to be replaced. We have had it 8 years now and never had to do any major work engine, tranny that kinda thing. While it's very possible she might have to it's not a sure thing.

Unread post

That's awesome.
And no, it's definitely not a sure thing. But it's probable.
anonforever wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:23 pm
Guest wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:42 pm That stinks. You're going to end up with a car payment AND repairs simultaneously.

It has to be a minivan. We are a family of 5-- + 2 biggish dogs--who camp and take road trips often. We pack a minivan to the brim 😒
That's not necessarily true. We bought our van outright with 134k miles on it and we had it for 6 years before we had to drop big cash into it. And the big cash we spent wasn't even what was wrong it was a 50 dollar fuel pump that we had just replaced a year prior lol... Hubby was doing all the work though with guidance from his friend whos a mechanic. So it was a well it could be this or this or this or that kinda thing. Now I have a van with 198k on it and all new exhaust, new computer, new sensors, fuel pump, distributor, plugs, fuel injectors lol the list goes on and on of things we bought trying to get it running and it turned out to be the stupid fuel pump. My point is the previous owner took really good care of it and we continued to do the same so we haven't had to do anything major most of the stuff we did do although it did cost us several grand over the course of a few months didn't really need to be replaced. We have had it 8 years now and never had to do any major work engine, tranny that kinda thing. While it's very possible she might have to it's not a sure thing.

Unread post

You can lease certified preowned cars and at a better rate than new ones.

Guest wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:30 pm
Guest wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:25 pm
Smarties wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:39 pm Usually the financing through the dealership is going to be at a high interest rate and for those with especially poor credit. I wouldn't want that if I could help it.

I'd have probably 3000 or so for a down payment, depending on the car you get.
$3000? I'm only looking at a $10-13k used minivan
First, you cant lease used cars.
Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I'm not sure I'm 37 and we've always bought our cars outright.
Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:26 am The thing is, the $10-13,000 range is indicative of the time cars start needing work. You're looking at vans with higher miles/years at that price point.
If it doesn't have to be a minivan, you're bettter off getting a brand new cheap car, like a Nissan Versa or something. They start within your budget and you'll have a warranty.
We sold our last van at 250,000 miles and it was still running strong. We did very little into it besides routine maintenance.

Unread post

That's great. But anecdotal.
Mammagoose wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:57 pm

We sold our last van at 250,000 miles and it was still running strong. We did very little into it besides routine maintenance.
Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:02 am That's great. But anecdotal.

As is your experience. I'd like to see some proof that she will have constant repairs. My grew up in an auto repair shop and minivans weren't more likely to break down than other vehicles. Sometimes they could be worse to repair like when they decided to make the engine and transmission one piece.

Unread post

The average car is on the road 11 years a/o 150,000 miles, according to Time magazine. That's not anecdotal. She'll likely be buying a higher mileage/age van in order to stay within her budget. Constant repairs aren't a sure thing, but she seems to have unrealistic expectations based upon her OP.
Mammagoose wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:55 pm

As is your experience. I'd like to see some proof that she will have constant repairs. My grew up in an auto repair shop and minivans weren't more likely to break down than other vehicles. Sometimes they could be worse to repair like when they decided to make the engine and transmission one piece.
Mammagoose
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:06 pm The average car is on the road 11 years a/o 150,000 miles, according to Time magazine. That's not anecdotal. She'll likely be buying a higher mileage/age van in order to stay within her budget. Constant repairs aren't a sure thing, but she seems to have unrealistic expectations based upon her OP.
Mammagoose wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:55 pm
And consumer affairs says its possible for today's cars to make it to at least 200,000 miles with proper maintenance.
Locked Previous topicNext topic