Do you think we are obligated to help those without healthcare?

Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:27 pm
Smarties wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 pm
Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:24 pm

That wasn't the question.

Well that's my answer. Take it or leave it.
Guess I’ll leave it since since you don’t seem to be able to grasp the concept! Lol

For the record, this is an example of why I believe we are socially obligated to provide education for children. Lol

I grasp it fine. I dont care to discuss the details. But thanks for the condescension anyway. Hope you feel better about yourself.
scemily526
Regent
Regent

Unread post

would americans force their way upon the Amish here? I don't see that happening...

Unread post

scemily526 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:36 pm would americans force their way upon the Amish here? I don't see that happening...
Amish don’t reject healthcare. We treat many at our hospital, the community just pays the bill out of pocket or get it written off as charity care.

If a child were ill and a Christian Scientist parent refused to treat a curable illness, we absolutely would and do step in. Denying medical care to children is illegal.

But that isn’t the question. The question is whether we should interfere with a group who has zero outside contact in order to teach them about things like hygiene and disease prevention and treatment.

Unread post

No one is "obligated" to help others.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I think there's a lot of people at home that need help first. There are plenty of Americans underserved.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:59 pm No one is "obligated" to help others.
Hospitals are legally required to for one.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:20 pm
Smarties wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:17 pm I dont think anyone is OBLIGATED to help anyone else.

It's a good thing to do, when you can. Here or anywhere else. But when you cant, you cant. Here or anywhere else.
So you think it's morally fine to withhold healthcare from people in first world countries who are dying because they can't afford it?

Do you disagree with the law saying that hospitals must treat any patient suffering an emergency regardless of ability to pay? Do you think that a homeless person having a heart attack should be turned away from an ER because they can't afford the treatment? That the child of an impoverished mother should die because they can't afford to see a doctor and get antibiotics?
I agree with her answer. No, I don't disagree that hospitals must treat any patient suffering in an emergency. No, I don't think that a homeless person should be turned away although they would qualify for assistance either through the State for healthcare or the hospital for the bill. Children of an impoverished mother would be on Medicaid so they would be fine.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:24 pm
Hospitals are not people. No person is personally obligated to help others financially or otherwise, hospitals are completely different.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:44 pm
scemily526 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:36 pm would americans force their way upon the Amish here? I don't see that happening...
Amish don’t reject healthcare. We treat many at our hospital, the community just pays the bill out of pocket or get it written off as charity care.

If a child were ill and a Christian Scientist parent refused to treat a curable illness, we absolutely would and do step in. Denying medical care to children is illegal.

But that isn’t the question. The question is whether we should interfere with a group who has zero outside contact in order to teach them about things like hygiene and disease prevention and treatment.
No, we should not force them to have contact with the outside if they don't chose too.

Unread post

Fullxbusymom wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:20 pm
Guest wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:24 pm
Hospitals are not people. No person is personally obligated to help others financially or otherwise, hospitals are completely different.
What is your interpretation of the original question? Because I didn't ask if you personally are obligated to fly out to the Amazon and give money to these people. The question was whether we, as a society, have a moral obligation to. We have decided collectively that we have a moral obligation to provide healthcare to people whether they can afford to pay for it or not here in the United States, which is why we passed the EMTALA law years ago.

I'm not talking about me donating money to a cause, I'm talking about humankind helping each other out. I'm not asking whether the United States should take taxpayer money to create some kind of fund. I'm asking whether the rest of the world should butt out and respect differences, or whether it would be more morally correct to step in and offer assistance since we are far more advanced.
Locked Previous topicNext topic