Opposing Politics and Social Media

Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Are people really blocking each other on social media over the past election, opposing politics and opposing opinions on current events?

This just seems super immature to me. I mean, if said opposing party is harassing you constantly, then I can understand unfriending and blocking people. But just because someone supports candidate A, celebrity B, etc?

I'm a liberal democrat. My parents are hard core Trump supporters. I remember during elections, many friends were going on about blocking family and friends who expressed interest in Trump. I can even remember some saying that they'd unfriend anyone who didn't block Trump supporting friends/family. I just simply ignored and scrolled past any posts that gushed about Trump.

Most recently, it's those who support Roseanne. Once again, people going on about blocking various friends and family who support her. And without fail, my mom posted a bunch of various memes about Barr as well as some rants about The View, etc. I thought about reminding her how outraged she was when Barr screeched out the anthem, but decided it wasn't worth headache.

I won't unfriend or block, but I won't engage because she is bull headed and stubborn. I guess I just don't want the frustration and anger over petty arguing. We're not going to see eye to eye on the topics. My general rule is if politics or divided current events come up while I'm visiting my folks, I just nod and change the subject. If it's online, I just keep scrolling.

Is this like societal norm now? Unfriend and block those who back people and causes you (general you) oppose?

(it also helps that i keep politics off my FB, i save that shit for Twitter)
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My opinion on the Barr shit is this:

I think she's disgusting trash and I've always thought she was disgusting trash. She said some F***ing appalling things and it just solidified my original opinion of her. But that being said, I have always been a huge opponent of employers terminating or cancelling the contracts of employees based on stupid shit posted online (barring outright illegal activities). I do not believe that employers should have that right. But it is the world we live in now.
PreciousDolphin894

Unread post

I agree with you 100% that it is very immature when people block family members for friends that have opposing views on politics or opinions on current events that differ from others. That is wrong on all levels as well. I think that we have become a society of overly sensitive people whom can't clearly handle real life because in real life no one is the same and no person thinks the same as another and that is okay. Unfortunately to the close minded know it all attitudes, they think differently which shows classlessness.
PreciousDolphin894

Unread post

PreciousDolphin894 wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:04 pm I agree with you 100% that it is very immature when people block family members or friends that have opposing views on politics or opinions on current events that differ from others. That is wrong on all levels as well. I think that we have become a society of overly sensitive people whom can't clearly handle real life because in real life no one is the same and no person thinks the same as another and that is okay. Unfortunately to the close minded know it all attitudes, they think differently which shows classlessness.
StPauliGirl
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

I had 2 people unfriend me after/around the Trump election. One was an extended family member, and the other was a friend from high school. I'm a liberal democrat too, and I believed the HS friend unfriended me when I made a comment questioning how anyone could vote for Trump, especially a woman. I would have rather had her engage me to explain her reasoning or ignore the comment than unfriend me without saying anything, but whatever... I obviously don't control her decisions.

I have not unfriended or blocked anyone over opposing views.
PreciousDolphin894

Unread post

Sorry the last comment I made somehow it posted twice. I don't know why It happens sometimes :/
StPauliGirl
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:04 pm My opinion on the Barr shit is this:

I think she's disgusting trash and I've always thought she was disgusting trash. She said some F***ing appalling things and it just solidified my original opinion of her. But that being said, I have always been a huge opponent of employers terminating or cancelling the contracts of employees based on stupid shit posted online (barring outright illegal activities). I do not believe that employers should have that right. But it is the world we live in now.
I get your point, but I get why certain professions could be different. If it's a media company and they're providing a platform that is encouraging Rosanne's voice, I get why they would distance that. I would hope that they would enter into a contract with their celebrity employees/contractors that would outline conduct that would be prohibited on social media, and I would hope that other employers would do the same. I'm a government employee, and it's been explained to me what I data I cannot share outside of the workplace. If I posted sensitive data online, I would expect a warning or termination. ABC is a corporation first and has to protect their interest.

Also, isn't ABC a Disney subsidiary? They're probably even more sensitive to racial accusations, for a variety of reason.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'll do it if someone is very opposite of how I feel on an issue. Rather than me get irritated with them or possibly post something I'll regret, I'd rather just remove the temptation.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

StPauliGirl wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:17 pm
Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:04 pm My opinion on the Barr shit is this:

I get your point, but I get why certain professions could be different. If it's a media company and they're providing a platform that is encouraging Rosanne's voice, I get why they would distance that. I would hope that they would enter into a contract with their celebrity employees/contractors that would outline conduct that would be prohibited on social media, and I would hope that other employers would do the same. I'm a government employee, and it's been explained to me what I data I cannot share outside of the workplace. If I posted sensitive data online, I would expect a warning or termination. ABC is a corporation first and has to protect their interest.

Also, isn't ABC a Disney subsidiary? They're probably even more sensitive to racial accusations, for a variety of reason.
I do understand there are complexities with certain types of employers, especially when there are contracts involved. And many others who simply do not want the bad press of being tied to someone who acts like a fool and posts it for the whole world to see. I just feel that what happens off the clock should remain off the clock. Professional and private lives should never have merged together.
StPauliGirl
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:27 pm
StPauliGirl wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:17 pm

I do understand there are complexities with certain types of employers, especially when there are contracts involved. And many others who simply do not want the bad press of being tied to someone who acts like a fool and posts it for the whole world to see. I just feel that what happens off the clock should remain off the clock. Professional and private lives should never have merged together.
Harder said than done when your job is to be in the public spotlight. I mean would you be OK if it was your senator that made that tweet? Both Rosanne and your senator chose to have a career in the spotlight. I certainly wouldn't vote for a senator to represent me if I found out they were a racist, and ABC didn't want Rosanne to represent their brand anymore. Completely different than if it was my airline pilot for the next flight I took out made a racist tweet. I wouldn't care if Rosanne or a senator smoke pot while working, but would be hugely opposed to the airline pilot smoking pot while flying. Different standards for different professions. There is no way that Rosanne, who has been in the public eye for decades, wouldn't know that racist comments wouldn't have consequences.

However, I do understand your point. Without knowing if ABC put in certain expectations in their contract or communications with Rosanne, I'm actually kind of on the fence about it. EDIT: But I do think ABC is entitled to cancel the show over it. I definitely have no complaints over that, even though I was watching and enjoyed this past/current season.
Locked Previous topicNext topic