Interesting facts about where you live.

Canadiana
Countess
Countess

Fullxbusymom wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:42 am I live in NH

We have no seat belt laws over the age of 18.
No helmet laws over the age of 18
No mandatory car insurance if you own your vehicle out right.
We have no sales or income tax
  • 1. Captain John Smith named New Hampshire after the town of Hampshire, England.

2. Sarah Josepha Hale author and journalist who wrote the poem "Mary Had a Little Lamb" in 1830 is from Newport, New Hampshire.

3. The first free public library in the United States was established at Peterborough in 1833.

4. Levi Hutchins of Concord invented the first alarm clock in 1787.

5. New Hampshire adopted the first legal lottery in the twentieth century United States in 1963.

6. The first potato planted in the United States was at Londonderry Common Field in 1719.

7. Alan Bartlett Shepard Jr., the first American to travel in space is from East Derry, New Hampshire.

8. Of the thirteen original colonies, New Hampshire was the first to declare its independence from Mother England -- a full six months before the Declaration of Independence was signed.

9. The highest wind speed recorded at ground level is at Mt. Washington, on April 12, 1934. The winds were three times as fast as those in most hurricanes.

10. New Hampshire is the only state that ever played host at the formal conclusion of a foreign war. In 1905, Portsmouth was the scene of the treaty ending the Russo-Japanese War.
Got to love the live free or die state.
Ever since I found out there are states without income tax (crazy to me) I always wondered why people aren't flocking there...
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Alabama
1. We have a monument to an insect...the boll weevil.
2. The largest cast iron statue in the world overlooks Birmingham. It's the Roman god, Vulcan.
3. Miss Baker, the first monkey to survive space exploration, is buried in Huntsville on the grounds of the Space and Rocket Center.
4. The Saturn V rocket was built in Huntsville.
5. You have to be of legal drinking age to drink Alabama's official state beverage, Conecuh Whiskey
6. Thanks to Alabamians, we have windshield wipers and airbags in/on cars.
7. The first American 911 call was made in Haleyville, AL.
Mom of monkeys
Countess
Countess

We also had a serial killer. Don't forget that. Mansfield is popular too.
carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:48 am I'm not really sure we have anything interesting about us here in Ohio but it seems like whenever I've talked about the treat Buckeyes we have here no one that isn't from Michigan or Ohio knows what I'm talking about.

Buckeyes are just basically chocolate and peanut butter shaped like a Buckeye. Nothing crazy but everyone looks at me funny when I've talked about them to non-Ohioans or non-Michiganders.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:48 am I'm not really sure we have anything interesting about us here in Ohio but it seems like whenever I've talked about the treat Buckeyes we have here no one that isn't from Michigan or Ohio knows what I'm talking about.

Buckeyes are just basically chocolate and peanut butter shaped like a Buckeye. Nothing crazy but everyone looks at me funny when I've talked about them to non-Ohioans or non-Michiganders.
I’m in Michigan and have no idea what you’re talking about. Lol
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Um, we are the birthplace of aviation.

Lunarprancer wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Thats been serioisly debated......First powered flight didnt occur in Dayton but in Kill Devil Hills. NC is First in Flight
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Guest wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:23 pm

Thats been serioisly debated......First powered flight didnt occur in Dayton but in Kill Devil Hills. NC is First in Flight
Yeah, that's bullshit =0) Orville and Wilbur Wright were born and raised in Dayton Ohio and invented the airplane here. Kitty Hawk had more wind, that's it.
lunarprancer
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

1. Official birthplace of aviation

In 2003, Congress officially declared Ohio as the “birthplace of aviation” over North Carolina, because Dayton was the home of Wilbur and Orville Wright, who were credited in inventing and flying the first aircraft.

Historians believe the Wright Brothers conducted research, drew up design plans, and created their aircraft inside their bicycle shop on the west side of Dayton. All Ohio license plates now display the words “birthplace of aviation."

https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/re ... JLreEiDHO/

5 reasons why Ohio will always be the state of aviation
Updated Aug 18, 2015
By Cassidy Boyer Apple, Staff Writer
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter...More
November is Aviation History Month, and it's no secret that our state was home to quite a bit of this history.

5 reasons why Ohio will always be the state of aviation:

ADVERTISING

1. Official birthplace of aviation

In 2003, Congress officially declared Ohio as the “birthplace of aviation” over North Carolina, because Dayton was the home of Wilbur and Orville Wright, who were credited in inventing and flying the first aircraft.

Historians believe the Wright Brothers conducted research, drew up design plans, and created their aircraft inside their bicycle shop on the west side of Dayton. All Ohio license plates now display the words “birthplace of aviation." For more on the Wright Brothers, click here.

2. The most astronauts

According to NASA, 23 Ohio natives have gone on to become astronauts, more than any other state. Of these numerous astronauts are Neil Armstrong, the first man to walk on the moon, and John Glenn.

Download the Dayton Daily News app
Get the latest Dayton news you want, when you want, in this free app from the Dayton Daily News. Click a link below to get the app.

3. John Glenn

Ohio native John Glenn set a transcontinental speed record in 1957 (travelling from Los Angeles to New York in 3 hours and 23 minutes), was chosen to take part in the famous Mercury 7 flight, and became the first astronaut to orbit the Earth in 1962.

To find out even more about John Glenn, click here.

4. National Museum of the United States Air Force

Dayton, Ohio is home to the National Air Force Museum, which displays over 300 aircrafts and missiles.

The museum is expanding even further next year, to include a massive hangar addition, which will house experimental jets, historic presidential planes, and rockets. Click here to learn more.

5. Wright-Patterson Air Force Base

Wright-Patterson Air Force base, which spans across Greene and Montgomery counties, is one of the largest air force bases in the country.

According to their website, “Wright-Patt's highly specialized workforce of approximately 27,000 military, civilian and contractor employees provide vital support to ensure Air Force and joint warfighters have modernized systems needed to fly, fight and win.”

For more facts about aviation that you may not know, click here.

Lunarprancer wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Yeah, that's bullshit =0) Orville and Wilbur Wright were born and raised in Dayton Ohio and invented the airplane here. Kitty Hawk had more wind, that's it.
Girllll...It had nothing to do with wind but with the dunes....My family is from Xenia and it was such a debate about it....Im not sure how old you are but I actually remember when the 2 states agreed to disgree on the issue and compromised...OHio was the birthplace of flight and NC was First in Fligjt. Evidently that was a very hot topic in the two states . It got even hotter when CT tried to make a claim...OH and NC basically told CT to sit down and shut up.
Locked Previous topicNext topic