Spelling people's names correctly at work

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have a very common name with a less common spelling. There are many ways to spell my name. I am used to people misspelling it and mispronouncing it (my name is not hard to pronounce but gosh, I've had some strange pronunciations in my life). All of my step kids and my mother in law spell it with a -y instead of an -ie. I corrected them a few times in the past but it just stuck so now I don't bother.

At work, I've noticed that everyone in the office spells it differently, none of them spell it correctly. No one else's name is misspelled on a regular basis, despite that nearly everyone has a name that can be spelled more than one way. And yes, I have it spelled correctly in my email address, my email signature, and when I sign my emails. I guess I expect people to make more of an effort in a professional setting.

Would you be offended that people at work misspell your name constantly? Or your personal life? Or neither

Also, I am supposed to be giving a presentation at a conference soon and I noticed the proofs that our manager sent over have my name spelled multiple different ways (proofs are for power points, a name badge, and outline). Would you bother mentioning it to them?

What if your name was misspelled on a gift?
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

No, I don’t get offended but it is not everyone in the office. That probably would get annoying if it was that bad .
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My first name (see my screen name) is also a common name with multiple different spellings. So many people guess it wrong. I also have a common last name with an uncommon spelling.

My short answer: correct the proofs, let everything else go. Something that's going to be published so to speak should be spelled correctly which is why I say to correct the proofs before they are finalized.

Beyond that I've never bothered much. I can't tell you how many times I got faxes and stuff sent to me with both names spelled wrong. Eh, it still got to me, that was the most important part. I have family members (aunts, uncles, cousins) who will get my name wrong as well. The only ones that matter are the ones closest to me. So if my husband, my kids, my sister, my best friend get my name wrong then we have an issue. Outside of that circle it doesn't matter. I've also had extended family or acquaintances that I second guess myself on how their name is spelled. Why should I berate others for something that I don't always get right?
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

My name is very common and has two very common spellings. People are always getting it wrong. I don't let it bug me, but I sometimes wonder about people who have to type my email address and then spell my name wrong in the body of the email... My name is my email address so it makes sense that they get that right and then get it wrong in the body. Just shows that people do not pay attention to details.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

No. My name is Lori. There’s a girl on my team whose name is Laurie. Just today - she was having phone issues before I was even in for the day. I came in with my phone in system issues. I kind of feel sorry for her because she probably missed a lot of calls because they put the wrong person in system issues. As for me, I was very confused when I came in.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

sarah824 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:27 pm My name is very common and has two very common spellings. People are always getting it wrong. I don't let it bug me, but I sometimes wonder about people who have to type my email address and then spell my name wrong in the body of the email... My name is my email address so it makes sense that they get that right and then get it wrong in the body. Just shows that people do not pay attention to details.
Sara is the other spelling, right? I’m Lori - not Laurie.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

mater-three wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:16 pm
sarah824 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:27 pm My name is very common and has two very common spellings. People are always getting it wrong. I don't let it bug me, but I sometimes wonder about people who have to type my email address and then spell my name wrong in the body of the email... My name is my email address so it makes sense that they get that right and then get it wrong in the body. Just shows that people do not pay attention to details.
Sara is the other spelling, right? I’m Lori - not Laurie.
Yes. I'm Sarah - not Sara :-)
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My name is weird as hell, no one can pronounce it, and my nickname is always misspelled with a “y” rather than an “i” and then I took a married name that is moderately difficult to pronounce. It is unusual, and hard to spell.

It’s been this way for years, so I am desensitized — the only thing, I insist is spelled my name correctly is for publications, outside the organization presentations (especially those that are national), and on the website.

But internally I just roll with it. Even on gifts. People mean well.
AZOldGal66
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

You'd be amazed by how my very common first name, which is Lisa, can be mispronounced or even misspelled. It's four letters only yet still, throughout my life, there have been mistakes made.

My husband's old-fashioned first name...Forrest...is often misspelled and instead, it's been Forest. No biggie and my husband and I don't care about the mistakes.

However, in a professional job setting, I think attention to this sort of detail is important.
just an old coot 😉🌵
Anonymous 2

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 6:38 pm You'd be amazed by how my very common first name, which is Lisa, can be mispronounced or even misspelled. It's four letters only yet still, throughout my life, there have been mistakes made.

My husband's old-fashioned first name...Forrest...is often misspelled and instead, it's been Forest. No biggie and my husband and I don't care about the mistakes.

However, in a professional job setting, I think attention to this sort of detail is important.
My name is Lisa as well and I'm shocked at how people can mess it up. When I was little someone spelled it Leasea and when shy 4 year old me told them that was wrong they laughed at me and told me I didn't know how to spell my name I was too little. Yet another strike for my social anxiety.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic