Work Saga

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I posted a few months ago about all of the changes happening at work. A lot of people are not happy about the changes- different office hours, loss of benefits, etc. The woman responsible for all of the changes is named Audrey.

Audrey does not work in the office. She works from home and is off every Friday.

Today, Friday, I get here super early. I didn't bring a lunch so about 1 pm, I went to Subway and brought my lunch back to eat at my desk. I told everyone in the office where I was going and that I would be right back. Took me all of 20 minutes. While I was gone, Audrey comes in, grabs something, makes some small talk with the secretary and then leaves.

When I get back from Subway, the secretary tells me that she got a text from the owner of the company asking why I was not at work today. She responded saying that I was at work today and had just stepped out to grab some lunch and would be back. So, Audrey obviously saw I wasn't at my desk and assumed I wasn't at work today and told the boss.

I'm so frustrated because why wouldn't they come to me and ask me why I wasn't at work today? Or they could have asked literally anyone in the office where I was and they could have found out that I was here and just went to get some food. And if Audrey worked in this office or knew me at all, she would have realized I was here because I had my work all spread out all over my desk, my briefcase right beside it, my laptop here and open with my work all over my monitors. Anyone who knows me knows that I do not leave my desk that way when I'm not here and I never leave my laptop/briefcase behind.

It feels like it's turning into a very toxic environment, with unnecessary spying, tattle-telling, and looking for minor mistakes to make into a molehill (in this case, I didn't even make a mistake, we have always been allowed to leave for lunch).

I just don't know if I should start looking for a job, or if I should say something to someone about it and try to get this resolved. Because if that is how it is going to be from now on, then I don't want to work for a company that runs its business like that.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The boss did ask, she asked the secretary.
Like it or not, a part of managements job is to know who is here and who isn't. While Aubry could have asked the secretary, she didn't. And while they could have come to you, or the boss, they didn't, nor is it a requirement.
Don't let it get in your head. It was resolved.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

jas wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:30 pm The boss did ask, she asked the secretary.
Like it or not, a part of managements job is to know who is here and who isn't. While Aubry could have asked the secretary, she didn't. And while they could have come to you, or the boss, they didn't, nor is it a requirement.
The problem is assuming that someone did not call or show up to work just because they weren't at their desk for the whole 2 seconds you are in the office. That kind of behavior can lead good employees to losing their job or quitting. Never in my professional life have I ever seen a successful company run this way. I could have been in the bathroom. Or outside on the phone.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:50 am
jas wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:30 pm The boss did ask, she asked the secretary.
The problem is assuming that someone did not call or show up to work just because they weren't at their desk for the whole 2 seconds you are in the office. That kind of behavior can lead good employees to losing their job or quitting. Never in my professional life have I ever seen a successful company run this way. I could have been in the bathroom. Or outside on the phone.
You said it was 20 minutes and the lunch hour is usually 12-1. It's not inconceivable to assume you were not at work since you were not there after 1pm. I'm sure Aubry was there longer than it would have taken a normal person to use the bathroom, so there's that. You're letting the negative overpower your thoughts.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:44 pm
jas wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:30 pm
We don't have a specific lunch hour. We all take lunches or breaks whenever.

There is an enormous difference between, "Hmm, this person isn't at their desk, they may have called in sick," and "This person is absent from work (and no one has heard from them)" If you can't see how damaging that is to a person's reputation and how that can put a person's job in jeopardy, then that is your problem but it doesn't mean I'm just having negative thoughts. It's a wildly inappropriate response to seeing someone isn't at their desk and it's no way to run a business. Employees being treated this way have every reason to be upset.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:08 pm
How is that professional? Every corporate office I worked for had specific lunch times. Not that we were assigned a time - but a general time was understood... 11-1. Regardless, it's taken care of. Like it or not, new management is doing their job.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'd be annoyed too if someone assumed I was a no call no show because they didn't see me for 3 minutes. She easily could have texted you.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Is Audrey in a job position that you had wanted for yourself?

Have they offset the lack of benefits with a pay increase?
just an old coot 😉🌵
Anonymous 2

Unread post

jas wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:29 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:08 pm

How is that professional? Every corporate office I worked for had specific lunch times. Not that we were assigned a time - but a general time was understood... 11-1. Regardless, it's taken care of. Like it or not, new management is doing their job.
This is such a dumb thing. Maybe in her office there IS an understood time and it's 12-2. Why assume her workplace is the same as the ones you've been in? It sounds more like A is causing trouble.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I am not sure I could go back to any job role, where my work performance is measured by where I physically am. It would annoy me too.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic