Two MS-13 gang members convicted of killing a teenage girl in a satanic ritual in 2017 have each been sentenced

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:03 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:27 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 pm

Catholics don’t worship satan…The murderers said it was a satanic ritual… that means it doesn’t matter what your understanding of Satanism is, because your understanding of what that means as a religion does not come from the culture they do.

You are coming from a limited view based on the your own cultural context’s understanding… that has no bearing on whether or not they are satanists.
Here is the article YOU posted. Where does it say the murderers themselves called it a satanic ritual?

Two MS-13 gang members convicted of killing a teenage girl in an alleged satanic ritual in 2017 have each been sentenced to 40 years in prison.
Diego Hernandez-Rivera, 22, otherwise known as "Scary," faced a judge on Monday, where he pleaded guilty to the murder of 15-year-old Genesis Cornejo. In exchange to pleading guilty, Hernandez-Rivera received 40 years in prison. He also pleaded guilty to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in exchange for 12 years in prison.

Hernandez-Rivera's sentences will run concurrently.
Hernandez-Rivera's partner, Miguel Alvarez-Flores, 26, also known as "Diabolico," pleaded guilty to murder in February and was sentenced to 40 years in prison.
According to a release from the Harris County District Attorney's Office, prosecutors expected to show in court that Cornejo was dating a gang member and was chosen as a sacrifice and shot to death, likely because she disrespected their shrine to the Santa Muerte, the Saint of Death.

Do you know what the word ALLEGED means? Please point out where in the article they called themselves Satanists or called their murder a "satanic ritual".
Santa Muerte is a saint of folk Catholicism. that is Catholic beliefs mixed with the local "folk" beliefs or customs.
Not everything I said came from this article… it’s been a big news story for years now. Here’s some more from links without a paywall:

prosecutor said, "Diabolico" (Spanish for satanic power) kept a satanic shrine.

One night during her confinement, she observed an incident where Genesis made an outburst against a shrine dedicated to the gang members' satanic beliefs

"The beast (satan) did not want a material offering, but wanted a soul," Alvarez-Flores said

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/ms-13- ... 3UZZX3U7U/

When I posted it was because I though “ damn, they should have gotten life without the possibility of parole” and it turned into everyone denying that this murder even happened the way prosecutors said it happened…

Y’all would have been key witnesses for the defense… I bet you could have proved that prosecutors got it all wrong lol…
Why would it make any difference to the prosecution if the men were worshipping Satan or Santa Muerte? No one is questioning that the crime didn't occur the way the witness stated, just that the shrine the witness described sounds more like Santa Muerte rather than Satan and worship of Santa Muerte is not Satanic. If noting that influences the prosecutors or jury, then that is exactly the problem. What or who someone worships should have no bearing on the prosecution or defense of a crime.

Honestly, the murder of this young woman could have occurred in front of a shrine to a pop-tart and I would feel the same way about these gang members but it sure wouldn't generate nearly as enticing a headline.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:34 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:26 pm

Not everything I said came from this article… it’s been a big news story for years now. Here’s some more from links without a paywall:

One night during her confinement, she observed an incident where Genesis made an outburst against a shrine dedicated to the gang members' satanic beliefs

"The beast (satan) did not want a material offering, but wanted a soul," Alvarez-Flores said

When I posted it was because I though “ damn, they should have gotten life without the possibility of parole” and it turned into everyone denying that this murder even happened the way prosecutors said it happened…

Y’all would have been key witnesses for the defense… I bet you could have proved that prosecutors got it all wrong lol…
Again, nowhere did either of the murderers claim to be Satanists or claim the murder was a satanic ritual. It was all ASSUMPTIONS made by the prosecution in an attempts to find a motive. The presence of a shrine does not automatically mean Satanism, even if some prosecutor looking to stoke fear in the courtroom makes the claim. Shrines are common in not only Catholic practices but also Hispanic heritage which is a direct result of Catholic influences due to the colonialism of Spain in the region.

Every link you have posted in an effort to "prove" Satanism is real, is tied to and directly references Catholicism....you might as well start calling them "emo-Catholics" at this point.
I’m not trying to prove Satanism isn’t real… you’re trying to prove that your understanding of what Satanism is doesn’t fit this case, therefore these guys couldn’t have been satan-friendly lol…

The murderer directly stated that she was killed as a sacrifice to the beast. Which is terminology for satan, not Santa Muerte…

That is super cool though that you know what happened here better than the murderer, kidnap victim and prosecutor… Way high up high five.
No. The murderer did not. One of the victims made the claim that the murderer said the beast wanted blood ( not presumably the cigarette that was offered). That is NOT the same as the murderer claiming to be a Satanist.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 pm

Catholics don’t worship satan…The murderers said it was a satanic ritual… that means it doesn’t matter what your understanding of Satanism is, because your understanding of what that means as a religion does not come from the culture they do.

You are coming from a limited view based on the your own cultural context’s understanding… that has no bearing on whether or not they are satanists.
Here is the article YOU posted. Where does it say the murderers themselves called it a satanic ritual?

Two MS-13 gang members convicted of killing a teenage girl in an alleged satanic ritual in 2017 have each been sentenced to 40 years in prison.
Diego Hernandez-Rivera, 22, otherwise known as "Scary," faced a judge on Monday, where he pleaded guilty to the murder of 15-year-old Genesis Cornejo. In exchange to pleading guilty, Hernandez-Rivera received 40 years in prison. He also pleaded guilty to aggravated assault with a deadly weapon in exchange for 12 years in prison.

Hernandez-Rivera's partner, Miguel Alvarez-Flores, 26, also known as "Diabolico," pleaded guilty to murder in February and was sentenced to 40 years in prison.
According to a release from the Harris County District Attorney's Office, prosecutors expected to show in court that Cornejo was dating a gang member and was chosen as a sacrifice and shot to death, likely because she disrespected their shrine to the Santa Muerte, the Saint of Death.

Do you know what the word ALLEGED means? Please point out where in the article they called themselves Satanists or called their murder a "satanic ritual".
Santa Muerte is a saint of folk Catholicism. that is Catholic beliefs mixed with the local "folk" beliefs or customs.

I think they should have gotten life based on the crime alone. Do you think this should be an enhanced sentence? If so, based on...?

Prosecutors are notorious in their biases, especially in Texas. They can say all kinds of things, but the question is: did they prove it to the judge?

"On May 26, 2021, both men were sentenced to 40 years in prison after pleading guilty to her murder. Hernandez was sentenced to an additional 12 years for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon to run concurrently with his 40 year sentence.[7]"
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:52 pm

I think they should have gotten life based on the crime alone. Do you think this should be an enhanced sentence? If so, based on...?

Prosecutors are notorious in their biases, especially in Texas. They can say all kinds of things, but the question is: did they prove it to the judge?

"On May 26, 2021, both men were sentenced to 40 years in prison after pleading guilty to her murder. Hernandez was sentenced to an additional 12 years for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon to run concurrently with his 40 year sentence.[7]"
Because I think anyone that kidnaps children and viciously murders a teenage girl should get life in prison without the possibility of ever getting out.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:49 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:26 pm

Again, nowhere did either of the murderers claim to be Satanists or claim the murder was a satanic ritual. It was all ASSUMPTIONS made by the prosecution in an attempts to find a motive. The presence of a shrine does not automatically mean Satanism, even if some prosecutor looking to stoke fear in the courtroom makes the claim. Shrines are common in not only Catholic practices but also Hispanic heritage which is a direct result of Catholic influences due to the colonialism of Spain in the region.

Every link you have posted in an effort to "prove" Satanism is real, is tied to and directly references Catholicism....you might as well start calling them "emo-Catholics" at this point.
I’m not trying to prove Satanism isn’t real… you’re trying to prove that your understanding of what Satanism is doesn’t fit this case, therefore these guys couldn’t have been satan-friendly lol…

The murderer directly stated that she was killed as a sacrifice to the beast. Which is terminology for satan, not Santa Muerte…

That is super cool though that you know what happened here better than the murderer, kidnap victim and prosecutor… Way high up high five.
No. The murderer did not. One of the victims made the claim that the murderer said the beast wanted blood ( not presumably the cigarette that was offered). That is NOT the same as the murderer claiming to be a Satanist.
Yeah… the murderer did.

"The beast (satan) did not want a material offering, but wanted a soul," - Alvarez-Flores

Direct quote.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:47 pm

Why would it make any difference to the prosecution if the men were worshipping Satan or Santa Muerte? No one is questioning that the crime didn't occur the way the witness stated, just that the shrine the witness described sounds more like Santa Muerte rather than Satan and worship of Santa Muerte is not Satanic. If noting that influences the prosecutors or jury, then that is exactly the problem. What or who someone worships should have no bearing on the prosecution or defense of a crime.

Honestly, the murder of this young woman could have occurred in front of a shrine to a pop-tart and I would feel the same way about these gang members but it sure wouldn't generate nearly as enticing a headline.
It doesn’t make a difference to the prosecution, however the prosecution has to describe what happened… this is what happened, so this is what was written…
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:09 pm

Yeah… the murderer did.

"The beast (satan) did not want a material offering, but wanted a soul," - Alvarez-Flores

Direct quote.

the beast could be referring to his own ego or dick. Again NOWEHERE did HE say he was a Satanist. NOWHERE did he say it was a "satanic ritual" those are all false assumptions made by the prosecuting attorney. YOU CLAIMED that he said he was a Satanist and you have failed to provide evidence of your false claim.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:11 pm
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:47 pm

It doesn’t make a difference to the prosecution, however the prosecution has to describe what happened… this is what happened, so this is what was written…
The prosecution is relying on witness testimony to describe what happened and the witness indicated that the shrine was satanic. Does it really matter if she was correct or incorrect in her identification of the shrine? It doesn't change what happened.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:12 pm

Yeah… the murderer did.

Direct quote.

the beast could be referring to his own ego or dick. Again NOWEHERE did HE say he was a Satanist. NOWHERE did he say it was a "satanic ritual" those are all false assumptions made by the prosecuting attorney. YOU CLAIMED that he said he was a Satanist and you have failed to provide evidence of your false claim.
Right… he was referring to his dick as the beast that required a sacrifice.

Honestly, sometimes this is like arguing with a chocolate covered faced child trying to argue that anything “could have” happened to the missing chocolate.. maybe aliens took it…
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:19 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:12 pm

Yeah… the murderer did.

Direct quote.

Right… he was referring to his dick as the beast that required a sacrifice.

Honestly, sometimes this is like arguing with a chocolate covered faced child trying to argue that anything “could have” happened to the missing chocolate.. maybe aliens took it…
I feel like arguing with you is like arguing with someone with a pronounced Hapsburg jaw that insists it's not icky because you bred with your uncle and not your cousin. But you know, tomato tomahtoh.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic