Woman says she was rejected as a job candidate for her tattoos. Fair enough, or totally unfair?

Anonymous 3

Unread post

MrsDavidB wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:51 am
Anonymous 3 wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:37 pm She doesn't look very different than a few police officers I've seen.
Oh yes there are tons of police officers running around with horns sticking out of their head. Come on now lol.
I'm talking about tats, piercings and hair styles/beards. They don't even dress like cops anymore.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It may have contributed. And she may not have had the experience, demeanor, or whatever else the employer was looking for. She should try Starbucks. They seem to hire all sorts of backgrounds as baristas. IN our area, there was a senior lady who read your aura when you ordered. There was also a lady in her mid 40s I think, who wore a grill on her teeth. It was surprising because she dressed conservatively- cardigan, capris, ballet shoes. Then she;'d smile and it was like Whoa!

Now my opinion won't be popular, but the horn thing is just unattractive and off putting to me. The facial tattoos are also unattractive. So would I want someone looking like this representing my business as first line? No.

I have nothing against tattoos, and many of them are beautiful works of art, but this amount and on the face? No ...
Heyteacher
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

I have 3 tattoos. They are placed in spots where should an employer require them to be covered that they can be. The district for whom I work doesn’t have a policy on tattoos…but some do.

Unfortunately a hiring manager makes many decisions regarding your appearance—good or bad, and that does effect if you are hired or not. So long as that decision wasn’t made on race, or gender…I can’t find fault if if was because of the tattoos…if they don’t fit the culture, they don’t fit the culture…
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:38 am Unfortunately, TJMaxx is considered a more family oriented retail chain
Is "family oriented" a euphemism for "socially conservative" ?
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What kind of experience does one need to work as a sales associate at TJ Maxx?
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:14 pm
AZOldGal66 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:38 am Unfortunately, TJMaxx is considered a more family oriented retail chain
Yes, lol
RIZZY
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Yes, I think that's fair.

But I don't know if that is the reason why. She is a very well known and successful re-seller. In particular, she buys limited edition Hello Kitty merchandise from TJ Maxx and then resells it for a profit. Apparently, the TJ maxx managers at that location were well acquainted with her. It has been proposed that she wanted the job so that she could get the employee discount and make even more profit from her reselling. Whether or not that is a "fair" reason to reject a job candidate, IDK. I can see both sides.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Aletheia wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:14 pm
Ha!! Could be, could be!
just an old coot 😉🌵
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

This is what you get with at-will employment. As an employee you can quit at any time, even without notice, and not face repercussions. On the flip side, an employer can terminate you for (almost) any reason or no reason at all. It also means an employer can reject you as a candidate for (almost) any reason at all and they don't have to defend their reasons.
Vegaswife2011
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don’t think she meets customer service expectations.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic