The definition of...

Anonymous 1

Unread post

No money, no ride, but we got plans!

My daughter was put in charge of planning her friend's birthday. Birthday girl was turning 17. Their friend group ranges in ages 16-18. The birthday girl wanted to have a nice dinner at a beautiful restaurant with her closest girlfriends, then a party at their friend's house with the rest of the friend group.

Since none of them have both a driver's license and a car, they decided to uber there. The restaurant was 45 miles from our suburban neighborhood to downtown. The uber to get there was $30. I don't think they realizes how expensive it would be.

The restaurant my daughter chose was absolutely gorgeous but it was also very expensive and served only authentic French cuisine. I'm not sure if any of them checked the menu before they made the reservations but none of them liked the food or even knew what to order. Between the uber and $50 a plate, they did not have enough to cover the entire bill, the tip, and the uber home. They had to call one of their parents to pay the rest and pick them back up. Unfortunately, the parent was so mad that they refused to take the girls to the party and drove them all home instead.

I've tried really hard to raise my kids to have a refined palate, to be kind, courteous, considerate, realistic, humble, etc., but I guess planning a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant isn't quite in their set of skills yet.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:00 am No money, no ride, but we got plans!

My daughter was put in charge of planning her friend's birthday. Birthday girl was turning 17. Their friend group ranges in ages 16-18. The birthday girl wanted to have a nice dinner at a beautiful restaurant with her closest girlfriends, then a party at their friend's house with the rest of the friend group.

Since none of them have both a driver's license and a car, they decided to uber there. The restaurant was 45 miles from our suburban neighborhood to downtown. The uber to get there was $30. I don't think they realizes how expensive it would be.

The restaurant my daughter chose was absolutely gorgeous but it was also very expensive and served only authentic French cuisine. I'm not sure if any of them checked the menu before they made the reservations but none of them liked the food or even knew what to order. Between the uber and $50 a plate, they did not have enough to cover the entire bill, the tip, and the uber home. They had to call one of their parents to pay the rest and pick them back up. Unfortunately, the parent was so mad that they refused to take the girls to the party and drove them all home instead.

I've tried really hard to raise my kids to have a refined palate, to be kind, courteous, considerate, realistic, humble, etc., but I guess planning a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant isn't quite in their set of skills yet.
A 45 mile Uber ride was only $30 or was that $30 per person?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:08 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:00 am No money, no ride, but we got plans!

As far as I know, $30 total. IDK if tip was included. You made me second guess, so I just googled the average price for a 45 mile ride in my city, approximately 25 minutes, and it said $20.
AZOldGal66
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Hage you sat down with your daughter to help her understand where her plans need to be considerably less extravagant next time?
just an old coot πŸ˜‰πŸŒ΅
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:14 am

As far as I know, $30 total. IDK if tip was included. You made me second guess, so I just googled the average price for a 45 mile ride in my city, approximately 25 minutes, and it said $20.
45 miles in 25 minutes is traveling at 103 mph. Uber drivers in your city must be crazy!
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Oh my, well, it was certainly a learning experience for all involved.

Do you guys live fairly rural? Here in our area, they all have vehicles and definitely eat out a fair amount yo know the price of things…
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:26 am Hage you sat down with your daughter to help her understand where her plans need to be considerably less extravagant next time?
To be fair, in our area, this would not be considered extravagant for a birthday dinner. However, communicating the cost should have been essential, so if others were on a budget, that could have been considered.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:32 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:14 am

45 miles in 25 minutes is traveling at 103 mph. Uber drivers in your city must be crazy!
I don't know how long it actually took them to get there. Google says it is approximately 45 miles or 25 minutes. I don't know what your point is. Do you think I'm lying about the cost of the uber? LOL That's not really the point here, is it?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:35 am Oh my, well, it was certainly a learning experience for all involved.

Do you guys live fairly rural? Here in our area, they all have vehicles and definitely eat out a fair amount yo know the price of things…
No, we live in the suburbs of a major metropolitan city. We eat out all the time but a restaurant like that, not so much. They could have looked at the menu online, though.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

AZOldGal66 wrote: ↑Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:26 am Hage you sat down with your daughter to help her understand where her plans need to be considerably less extravagant next time?
Given the way she told the story, I don't think that's necessary. She recognizes her mistake. I did gently remind her that her mother used to run a lifestyle and events blog for the city and that she could ask me for recommendations any time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic