Humans are not meant to be vegan.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:44 pm I’m not a vegan, not even a vegetarian, but to each their own. I do think that in general we do overeat meat. In our house, we eat meat or poultry, once or twice a week. The rest of the week we do eat a lot of vegetarían and fish dishes.
That’s also true, humans 10,000 years ago would never have had the amount of meat we eat today.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 pm
mommy_jules wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:48 pm I think many people are vegans for more reasons than it’s “healthier,” but their reasons are their reasons. What I have an objection to is shaming anyone for their food choices.
Stating facts is not shaming anyone. Our gut length is due to our ability to process meat. Our lack of a sagittal crest is because we no longer require the strong jaw muscles needed to chew all day. If that makes you feel shame, I’d suggest therapy.
There is a whole lot of shaming going around in the diet/health/lifestyle topics in our culture. Poor people are shamed for eating cheap food and being over weight. People are shamed for eating meat or not eating meat. The effects of shaming people for their food choices goes beyond one person on a message board. My original rely didn’t have anything to do with you stating facts. It was addressing this whole culture of shaming people for what they eat.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Plenty of cultures are vegan. Some cultures in India for example are vegan and somehow managed to be quite intelligent and pass on their intelligence to their offspring without their brains shrinking with the next generation of vegans.

Also, some apes and chimps in the wild are omnivores. They are known to eat some meat despite most of their diet being herbivorous. And chimps are also known to be cannibalistic as well.

Dogs, cats, lions, hyenas, and other carnivores have sagittal crests to chew through tough flesh and bones. These crests are not exclusive to herbivores like pandas and non human primates.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:59 pm Plenty of cultures are vegan. Some cultures in India for example are vegan and somehow managed to be quite intelligent and pass on their intelligence to their offspring without their brains shrinking with the next generation of vegans.

Also, some apes and chimps in the wild are omnivores. They are known to eat some meat despite most of their diet being herbivorous. And chimps are also known to be cannibalistic as well.

Dogs, cats, lions, hyenas, and other carnivores have sagittal crests to chew through tough flesh and bones. These crests are not exclusive to herbivores like pandas and non human primates.
It’s true that plenty of other animals are omnivores, but cooking the meat is what propelled our intelligence.
Most Indians are who don’t eat meat are vegetarian, not vegan. 91% are not vegan.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

cgd5112 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:59 pm Plenty of cultures are vegan. Some cultures in India for example are vegan and somehow managed to be quite intelligent and pass on their intelligence to their offspring without their brains shrinking with the next generation of vegans.

Repeat, sorry.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Rastafarians come to mind as well. There are somewhere between 88 - 270 million vegans in the world (big discrepancy, I know). I'm not sure that they all have it wrong.

I've read that vegans have lower rates of cancer, diabetes, and some other illnesses but higher rates of stroke (the science is still conflicted on that one) so I say, eat a diet that you choose but no diet is going to make you live forever.

Also think it's funny that OP's wording is almost word-for-word from a Palio website. Just wanted to point out that the beef industry has as much of a vested interest in promoting red meat (diary industry diary, poultry industry - well you get the point) as the diet industry has promoting the latest diet. When choosing a diet whether that's omnivore, vegetarian, or vegan, always best to speak with your doctor or a nutritionist rather than relying commercial food or diet industries.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Anonymous 1

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:20 pm

Rastafarians come to mind as well. There are somewhere between 88 - 270 million vegans in the world (big discrepancy, I know). I'm not sure that they all have it wrong.

I've read that vegans have lower rates of cancer, diabetes, and some other illnesses but higher rates of stroke (the science is still conflicted on that one) so I say, eat a diet that you choose but no diet is going to make you live forever.

Also think it's funny that OP's wording is almost word-for-word from a Palio website. Just wanted to point out that the beef industry has as much of a vested interest in promoting red meat (diary industry diary, poultry industry - well you get the point) as the diet industry has promoting the latest diet. When choosing a diet whether that's omnivore, vegetarian, or vegan, always best to speak with your doctor or a nutritionist rather than relying commercial food or diet industries.
I’ve never even heard of the palio website. And I also don’t care if you eat beef. Fish and eggs have more than enough to keep you at a top level. I’m not coming from any diet industry, eat whatever you want, but regardless of what you choose, human beings have been created by evolutionary processes to consume cooked food and animal products. That’s a fact, not a cause.
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

By the same reasoning, humans are not 'meant' to fly military aircraft in high-g dog fights.

The fact is, though, that humans can survive and even thrive, while doing things nature never 'meant' them to do.
cgd5112
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I said some cultures IN india are vegan. Didn't say all Indians are vegan.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:07 pm

It’s true that plenty of other animals are omnivores, but cooking the meat is what propelled our intelligence.
Most Indians are who don’t eat meat are vegetarian, not vegan. 91% are not vegan.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Considering the appalling cases of meat born illnesses that occur with more frequency these days, I'd think carefully about eating much meat at all. Bird flu, Creutzfeldt Jacob, and others, salmonella, and more are appalling diseases I do not want.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic