Religious Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (REDI) Index

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:22 am
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:11 am
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:07 am

Companies make ethical decisions whether good or bad but that doesn't mean they have "morals". Tyson is no more moral or immoral than the state of Arkansas.
Actually, this would be both unethical and immoral.
Corporations have a singular purpose: money. That’s it. If the appearance of moral values creates more profits or prevents bad press from reducing profits, then they will go for it. Can you name a "moral" for profit corporation?

Inclusion programs have been shown to increase employee moral, productivity, and retention. That's why corporations have implemented them. It's not about morals.
You’re right…
Maybe I will go ask the 9 year old who almost lost his hand if he feels like he’s religiously treated well in the workplace.
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Diversity initiatives overall are a net positive for businesses, they provide an increase in creativity and innovation, it brings in a wider array of applicants and exposes people to different cultures, ideas, and skills, it improves problem solving and decision-making, and increases employee engagement. Knowing about someone's religion may help someone understand how religion caused opinions to form and try to separate that from one’s opinion of a person or their ability to work with others. It doesn't mean you have to have discussions about abortion or gay marriage or Palestine, but just help you understand each other a little bit better and have some empathy for each other.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:43 am
Della wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:23 am
Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:03 am

There’s nothing wrong with world religions classes in an academic setting.
Yet that's not acceptable to evangelicals.
And if 37 out of the top 50 CEOs are white Christian males, should they be the ones trying to lead the religious debates in the office? How diverse do we really trust their religious viewpoints to be? Is that something they should have any control over when it comes to religious instruction, or would that be better left to an individual’s choice of religious leader?
They aren't proselytizing for Pete's sake. What part of this do you not understand?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:03 am

There’s nothing wrong with world religions classes in an academic setting.
And if 37 out of the top 50 CEOs are white Christian males, should they be the ones trying to lead the religious debates in the office? How diverse do we really trust their religious viewpoints to be? Is that something they should have any control over when it comes to religious instruction, or would that be better left to an individual’s choice of religious leader?
It seems as if you have no understanding of corporate faith inclusion programs? I have no idea if it's intentional or unintentional ignorance but perhaps this will help:

https://www.salesforce.com/blog/faith-i ... workplace/
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:02 am

It seems as if you have no understanding of corporate faith inclusion programs? I have no idea if it's intentional or unintentional ignorance but perhaps this will help:

I’m sort of done talking now.

I tried having a regular conversation that didn’t just involve backhanded insults, but you’re just not at the place where that’s a possibility.

Have a good rest of the day…
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:06 am
WellPreserved wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:02 am

I’m sort of done talking now.

I tried having a regular conversation that didn’t just involve backhanded insults, but you’re just not at the place where that’s a possibility.

Have a good rest of the day…
🤷‍♀️
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Della wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:54 am

They aren't proselytizing for Pete's sake. What part of this do you not understand?
They’re not proselytizing, but their position of power allows them a degree of control over the narrative.

I am not convinced that is a good thing.

It’s ok though… we can agree to disagree and move on.

I’m leaving for an eclipse party so I don’t think I’ll be on much for the rest of the day.

I hope you have a good afternoon.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:13 am
Della wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:54 am

They’re not proselytizing, but their position of power allows them a degree of control over the narrative.

I am not convinced that is a good thing.

It’s ok though… we can agree to disagree and move on.

I’m leaving for an eclipse party so I don’t think I’ll be on much for the rest of the day.

I hope you have a good afternoon.
You seem to jump the gun on a lot of topics and then get insulted when people attempt to inform you. I don't get it.

Enjoy the party and the eclipse.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:37 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:27 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:04 pm

What a person eats and wears doesn’t really have anything to do with the rest of the employee’s experiences at work… that should have no bearing and people should do what they want.

But even saying “the good lord above” is religion specific and can cause arguments.

When I was younger we were taught you don’t talk about religion, politics or S*x in the workplace… that’s your own personal beliefs and they don’t belong in the office. I tend to stick with that mentality.
I had the opposite of you as a kid. People judged everyone all the time for their religion. My mother faced it at her job. I faced it in school from Christian teachers. Some people don't care for Catholics especially in the seventies in the bible belt. Personally, I tired of it. So maybe "let the Good Lord handle it" isn't the best thing to say. I guess then I'd say, "we will all practice our religion unless someone oversteps. You are overstepping by saying 'they will go to hell.' In fact you don't know that for a fact. Cease and desist or go work for Hobby Lobby."

But we need to talk about religion now. It can't be ignored anymore. For example I work with a Muslim physical therapist on occasion. I might call his office to hear the receptionist say he's at prayer. I say fine and leave a message. Because Islam and prayer are important to him, so I respect that. Heck I knew someone that got into trouble with a Muslim client because he bought him a bottle of wine. She didn't know Muslims aren't supposed to drink. I just heard a TikTok where workers were talking about what day to take off for Eid. Idk what exactly Eid is but apparently Muslims need to worship on that day. I'm involved in scouting and recently we had to accommodate a Jewish troop that couldn't travel on the Sabbath. Or say you're a company and you want to have a picnic for your employers. In the south we like pig roasts but not everyone can eat pork. So one has an alternative. These are things that like it or not we have to accommodate in a diverse society.

I personally am not religious although I did like having Good Friday off. I don't have an issue with companies allowing religious practices at work so long as they don't interfere with other people, harm living things, or are illegal. I DO take exception when people judge others. So for that I would say, which is pretty much true in all religions including atheism: Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you.
I would fully agree that anyone should get any religious day off that they need…

But bringing religion INTO the workplace is what can cause problems…

It’s great to say do unto other as you would have done to you… but serious Christian’s would say “ I would want them to try and save my soul” . Meaning, “thou shall not suffer a witch to live”. The way to save the soul of the others is to tell them they are going to burn in hell for their religion, or their sexuality…

Muslims and Jewish people aren’t liking each other right now, their religions aren’t meshing well right now.

Chinese folk religionists aren’t getting along with Tibetan Buddhists right now…

Some religions literally don’t mix well because they’ve gone to war so often, and in recent memories…

It’s just a distraction that can lead to problems to have religion in the workplace…
So a homosexual can't mention their spouse at work either because certain Christians aren't able to keep their opinions to themselves?

If a Muslim needs to pray during the work day they should be able to without fear that a coworker is going to harm them or discriminate against them in some way. If a Pagan needs to take the day after their Yule off because they'll be up all night they should be able to without anyone thinking they need to be cleansed.

If a Jewish person need accommodations to their schedule so they can observe Sabbat without other coworkers having an issue with it. Most of our government holidays already accommodate Christian holy days.

If a person causes an issue with another person over religion there's a really easy solution to that...the person who's causing an issue can become employed somewhere else.

Keeping religions debates out of the workplace is one thing but asking a person to hide as part of themselves for fear that someone else will have an issue with it isn't fixing anything.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:37 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:37 pm
Pjmm wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:27 pm

I had the opposite of you as a kid. People judged everyone all the time for their religion. My mother faced it at her job. I faced it in school from Christian teachers. Some people don't care for Catholics especially in the seventies in the bible belt. Personally, I tired of it. So maybe "let the Good Lord handle it" isn't the best thing to say. I guess then I'd say, "we will all practice our religion unless someone oversteps. You are overstepping by saying 'they will go to hell.' In fact you don't know that for a fact. Cease and desist or go work for Hobby Lobby."

But we need to talk about religion now. It can't be ignored anymore. For example I work with a Muslim physical therapist on occasion. I might call his office to hear the receptionist say he's at prayer. I say fine and leave a message. Because Islam and prayer are important to him, so I respect that. Heck I knew someone that got into trouble with a Muslim client because he bought him a bottle of wine. She didn't know Muslims aren't supposed to drink. I just heard a TikTok where workers were talking about what day to take off for Eid. Idk what exactly Eid is but apparently Muslims need to worship on that day. I'm involved in scouting and recently we had to accommodate a Jewish troop that couldn't travel on the Sabbath. Or say you're a company and you want to have a picnic for your employers. In the south we like pig roasts but not everyone can eat pork. So one has an alternative. These are things that like it or not we have to accommodate in a diverse society.

I personally am not religious although I did like having Good Friday off. I don't have an issue with companies allowing religious practices at work so long as they don't interfere with other people, harm living things, or are illegal. I DO take exception when people judge others. So for that I would say, which is pretty much true in all religions including atheism: Don't do to others what you wouldn't want done to you.
I would fully agree that anyone should get any religious day off that they need…

But bringing religion INTO the workplace is what can cause problems…

It’s great to say do unto other as you would have done to you… but serious Christian’s would say “ I would want them to try and save my soul” . Meaning, “thou shall not suffer a witch to live”. The way to save the soul of the others is to tell them they are going to burn in hell for their religion, or their sexuality…

Muslims and Jewish people aren’t liking each other right now, their religions aren’t meshing well right now.

Chinese folk religionists aren’t getting along with Tibetan Buddhists right now…

Some religions literally don’t mix well because they’ve gone to war so often, and in recent memories…

It’s just a distraction that can lead to problems to have religion in the workplace…
So a homosexual can't mention their spouse at work either because certain Christians aren't able to keep their opinions to themselves?

If a Muslim needs to pray during the work day they should be able to without fear that a coworker is going to harm them or discriminate against them in some way. If a Pagan needs to take the day after their Yule off because they'll be up all night they should be able to without anyone thinking they need to be cleansed.

If a Jewish person need accommodations to their schedule so they can observe Sabbat without other coworkers having an issue with it. Most of our government holidays already accommodate Christian holy days.

If a person causes an issue with another person over religion there's a really easy solution to that...the person who's causing an issue can become employed somewhere else.

Keeping religions debates out of the workplace is one thing but asking a person to hide as part of themselves for fear that someone else will have an issue with it isn't fixing anything.
"asking a person to hide as part of themselves for fear that someone else will have an issue with it isn't fixing anything"

Can lead to a toxic work environment most assuredly
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic