So… Trump is at the funeral of slain NYPD officer. Biden is at a fundraiser with Lizzo…

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:42 am
Della wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 pm How long ago was the three presidents fundraiser planned?

How many people who have been accused of these types of things are associated with Trump?

Who was in NY for court and spouted rhetoric while using this officers murder as a campaign event?

Who reached out to the Mayor and the NYPD with real offers of support?
What former Presidents, Vice Presidents, or high ranking military officers are campaigning with DT for even willing to endorse him? Not going to count people convicted of crimes and pardoned by him.
He has the ghosts of Jackson and Reagan :/
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:22 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:38 am That’s a stretch if I’ve ever seen one. He is at a fundraiser that he is hosting for 5,000 people, he isn’t just chilling with lizzo at a fundraiser for the local country club. What happened to the police officer is of course a horrible tragedy. Over a dozen people die at work everyday, the active president isn’t going to all of their funerals. 99.9%, Trump only went for the publicity, not because he gives a crap about that man’s family.
What’s a stretch?
That’s where they were…
That’s why Lizzo’s backup dancers are suing her for sexual harassment…
A bit confused by how your statements are related. How does a lawsuit about events that happened from 2021-23 have anythinkg to do with a fundraiser in 2024?

Also - DT was found liable in a court of law for sexual abuse, and the world got to hear him brag about his forceful molesting of women with no prior consent. Is this really a comparison you want to make?
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:25 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:16 am
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:22 am
What’s a stretch?
That’s where they were…
That’s why Lizzo’s backup dancers are suing her for sexual harassment…
I’m not downplaying the accusations made against Lizzo and at all saying it should be forgiven and ignored if proven guilty. But bringing up accusations made toward one of his 5,000 fundraiser attendees and stating that in the original post as if her being at the fundraiser as if it proves something about him and where he should have been that day is beyond a stretch. Trump is a convicted rapist, that doesn’t mean anything about the family of the murdered officer still having him at the funeral.
She wasn’t just in attendance, she was performing.

As a nation, we completely ruined Billy Bush’s entire career because he laughed at a vile joke made by Trump, now we clap along as Biden dances to someone who is being sued for some pretty disgusting sexual assault reasons, but we don’t bat an eye if it’s democrats doing it…
Weird standards we set for ourselves.
DT was bragging about his own behavior. And I don't think anything was done "as a nation" - that isn't even an entity you can define. If the network decided he was no longer someone they wanted to showcase, that is their call based on business decisions. And Billy Bush is now back on TV.

Quite different than having a performer who has been accused but not convicted of anything perform at a benefit.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lexy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am
Lexy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:09 am

Trump was invited by the family and the police union.
According to several sources, no one knew who invited Trump. The only person who is claiming they invited him is Bruce Blakeman.
It was all over the news here in NY.
I had originally looked at NY news outlets and most didn’t even question let alone answer the question of who actually invited him. It was just odd to me. Diller was murdered on Monday, his wake on Thursday. 4 days, the family would still be in that early stage of shock and grief. I can’t image the family being in the frame of mind to even think about inviting Trump unless he was a member of the family or part of their inner group. The sources that did question this all reported Blakeman is the only confirmed, that family didn’t know, that the Union and bereavement organization didn’t know, but Blakeman’s office confirmed it was him who extended the invite🤷🏼‍♀️. If you have other sources I’d be open to reading them.

Personally, I don’t think any candidate should be at an event like this on an election year. It’s cringy and gross to me. Regardless of that person’s intent and whether it’s genuine or not, it comes across too much as using that very fresh pain and grief for a sound bite and photo op. I’d feel this way about ANY candidate. There are so many other ways one could send their condolences and offer support because it should be 100% about that fallen officer, his family, his friends, who have just lost him while he was doing his job.
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:05 pm
Slimshandy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:25 am
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:16 am

I’m not downplaying the accusations made against Lizzo and at all saying it should be forgiven and ignored if proven guilty. But bringing up accusations made toward one of his 5,000 fundraiser attendees and stating that in the original post as if her being at the fundraiser as if it proves something about him and where he should have been that day is beyond a stretch. Trump is a convicted rapist, that doesn’t mean anything about the family of the murdered officer still having him at the funeral.
She wasn’t just in attendance, she was performing.

As a nation, we completely ruined Billy Bush’s entire career because he laughed at a vile joke made by Trump, now we clap along as Biden dances to someone who is being sued for some pretty disgusting sexual assault reasons, but we don’t bat an eye if it’s democrats doing it…
Weird standards we set for ourselves.
DT was bragging about his own behavior. And I don't think anything was done "as a nation" - that isn't even an entity you can define. If the network decided he was no longer someone they wanted to showcase, that is their call based on business decisions. And Billy Bush is now back on TV.

Quite different than having a performer who has been accused but not convicted of anything perform at a benefit.
I don’t see it as different at all…

Trump brags about women letting him do whatever he wants… horrific, we can’t even see the guy that laughed at the joke anymore…

Lizzo forces her backup dancers to eat a banana out of another woman’s vagina, and oh… wait. She’s not convicted yet. I know we said “ believe women” a couple years ago, but we didn’t mean “these” women…

If we’re going to set a standard here, by all means… but if that standard means nothing when push comes to shove, we don’t *actually* care…
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:49 pm

Trump brags about women letting him do whatever he wants… horrific, we can’t even see the guy that laughed at the joke anymore…

Lizzo forces her backup dancers to eat a banana out of another woman’s vagina, and oh… wait. She’s not convicted yet. I know we said “ believe women” a couple years ago, but we didn’t mean “these” women…

If we’re going to set a standard here, by all means… but if that standard means nothing when push comes to shove, we don’t *actually* care…

Billy Bush has been the host of "Extra" on FOX since 2019, so I think you can see him if you choose. And DT didn't just make "jokes" - he was convicted in court of sexual assault.
Lexy
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:12 am
Lexy wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am
Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am

According to several sources, no one knew who invited Trump. The only person who is claiming they invited him is Bruce Blakeman.
It was all over the news here in NY.
I had originally looked at NY news outlets and most didn’t even question let alone answer the question of who actually invited him. It was just odd to me. Diller was murdered on Monday, his wake on Thursday. 4 days, the family would still be in that early stage of shock and grief. I can’t image the family being in the frame of mind to even think about inviting Trump unless he was a member of the family or part of their inner group. The sources that did question this all reported Blakeman is the only confirmed, that family didn’t know, that the Union and bereavement organization didn’t know, but Blakeman’s office confirmed it was him who extended the invite🤷🏼‍♀️. If you have other sources I’d be open to reading them.

Personally, I don’t think any candidate should be at an event like this on an election year. It’s cringy and gross to me. Regardless of that person’s intent and whether it’s genuine or not, it comes across too much as using that very fresh pain and grief for a sound bite and photo op. I’d feel this way about ANY candidate. There are so many other ways one could send their condolences and offer support because it should be 100% about that fallen officer, his family, his friends, who have just lost him while he was doing his job.
He called the family not sure what day. I am guessing they invited him then. The police also invited him
Slimshandy
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:03 pm

Lizzo is not running for office. As to your speculation about the abuse charges, again, they are unproven and I have not seen anyone use the term "force" to describe what is alleged.

Billy Bush has been the host of "Extra" on FOX since 2019, so I think you can see him is you choose. And DT didn't just make "jokes" - he was convicted in court of sexual assault.
She’s been asked by the guy running for office to perform at the fundraiser for political office… it matters. Her accuser’s specific words were “she sexually assaulted me”.
We. Don’t. Care.

Trump wasn’t convicted of sexual assault, he was found liable in a civil case- the reason he couldn’t be convicted in a criminal case is because in a criminal case, you have to prove “ beyond a shadow of doubt “ in order to get a conviction, and in a civil trial you just have to show it was “likely to have happened”. … which is also why you can’t send someone to prison with a civil trial, because the standard of proof is so much lower…. And funnily enough, this is the exact same way Lizzo’s accusers are suing, and a judge threw out Lizzo’s request to dismiss the case because there was too much evidence supporting her accusers claims…

The whole Billy Bush thing was before any mention of any trial but people wanted blood regardless…
So why is our intolerance for sexual abuse limited to republican men? We are horrified when republican men sexually assault people, but if democratic women sexually assault people, we’re just as fine with it as trumpets were when he got sued….
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Slimshandy wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:31 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:03 pm

Lizzo is not running for office. As to your speculation about the abuse charges, again, they are unproven and I have not seen anyone use the term "force" to describe what is alleged.

Billy Bush has been the host of "Extra" on FOX since 2019, so I think you can see him is you choose. And DT didn't just make "jokes" - he was convicted in court of sexual assault.
She’s been asked by the guy running for office to perform at the fundraiser for political office… it matters. Her accuser’s specific words were “she sexually assaulted me”.
We. Don’t. Care.

Trump wasn’t convicted of sexual assault, he was found liable in a civil case- the reason he couldn’t be convicted in a criminal case is because in a criminal case, you have to prove “ beyond a shadow of doubt “ in order to get a conviction, and in a civil trial you just have to show it was “likely to have happened”. … which is also why you can’t send someone to prison with a civil trial, because the standard of proof is so much lower…. And funnily enough, this is the exact same way Lizzo’s accusers are suing, and a judge threw out Lizzo’s request to dismiss the case because there was too much evidence supporting her accusers claims…

The whole Billy Bush thing was before any mention of any trial but people wanted blood regardless…
So why is our intolerance for sexual abuse limited to republican men? We are horrified when republican men sexually assault people, but if democratic women sexually assault people, we’re just as fine with it as trumpets were when he got sued….
Sorry but you lost me in this convoluted argument. Billy Bush, Donald T and Lizzo are not at all the same. Their actions were different, and our expectations for them as public figures are different.

Billy Bush was a TV personality and only going to be employed if his network thought he was popular and going to attract viewers. That is their call to make. His choice to laugh about sexual assault with the cameras rolling is what lost him his job at that network.

That is the way the entertainment world works. From what I understand, Lizzo is stepping away from public performance and it may well be for the same reasons. I'll reserve my judgement until I learn more.

As to only "republican men" being judged, have you forgotten the career ending video of Senator Al Franken? He pantomimed a groping and lost his career. I wish people still held elected officials to this standard!
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

First of all, I don't agree that "we" all "knew it" and just.didn't.care. I don't follow celebrities and I never heard about this business with Lizzo before. I think that public opinion about her will definitely change once it becomes common knowledge.

Secondly, I don't think this somehow makes Biden like Billy Bush. Biden didn't clap along to sexual harassment - Billy did. And none of this makes Trump the better choice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic