What do you call it when?

Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

What do you call that random ability all kids have where they are somehow in the way when you are trying to get something done? For example, kids are in one room hanging out but the second you start vacuuming they suddenly come to hang out in the room you're trying to vacuum.

Or that they were all downstairs and suddenly everyone is in the kitchen right after you start trying to do dishes and put things away and happen to be standing right in front of the cabinet you need to get into.

It's like a sixth sense they have to just "Be there" at the most inopportune times..

Oh and it's not just kids, spouses do it too.......what is the TERM for that.....other than annoying and inconvenient.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That would drive me crazy. I don’t think my kids have ever really done that too often, past when they are toddlers and always on top of you. I mean I’m not saying they are never in the way, but not frequently enough to make me notice a trend, so I just say “I’m still listening to what you’re saying but I’m trying to vacuum so can you stay over there?” I’ve got six kids, so that’s more of an odds are one will be in a room, rather than them appearing.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:18 pm That would drive me crazy. I don’t think my kids have ever really done that too often, past when they are toddlers and always on top of you. I mean I’m not saying they are never in the way, but not frequently enough to make me notice a trend, so I just say “I’m still listening to what you’re saying but I’m trying to vacuum so can you stay over there?” I’ve got six kids, so that’s more of an odds are one will be in a room, rather than them appearing.
Oh they don't even talk to me. It'll be something like they were downstairs watching netflix but now that I've vacuuming the dining room, they want to sit at the table with their laptop...and watch netflix...
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:54 pm
Olioxenfree wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:18 pm That would drive me crazy. I don’t think my kids have ever really done that too often, past when they are toddlers and always on top of you. I mean I’m not saying they are never in the way, but not frequently enough to make me notice a trend, so I just say “I’m still listening to what you’re saying but I’m trying to vacuum so can you stay over there?” I’ve got six kids, so that’s more of an odds are one will be in a room, rather than them appearing.
Oh they don't even talk to me. It'll be something like they were downstairs watching netflix but now that I've vacuuming the dining room, they want to sit at the table with their laptop...and watch netflix...
Mine do things like that too! I have no idea what you call it. I'll have been ignored all day but the minute I walk into our (very tiny) kitchen to make dinner there are at least 2 kids, 2 cats (because the humans must be doing something interesting) and a partner just magically in the kitchen. Not helping...just there, talking. Like my favourite activity is tripping over people while I'm trying to cook.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I call it, get the f**k out my way before I put you to work lol.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

lol, my mom used to say it would never fail that the minute she got on the phone 1 or all 5 of us would demand her attention.

Idk what it’s called, I’m positive I’ve heard a term for it but can’t for the life of me remember what it is right now. My kids have always been good about not getting under foot but the dogs will stand in front of me as I sweep or mop, pounce the vacuum, jump onto the bed I’m trying to make, try to steal laundry as I load the washer. They seem to think these tasks are games.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:33 am What do you call that random ability all kids have where they are somehow in the way when you are trying to get something done? For example, kids are in one room hanging out but the second you start vacuuming they suddenly come to hang out in the room you're trying to vacuum.

Or that they were all downstairs and suddenly everyone is in the kitchen right after you start trying to do dishes and put things away and happen to be standing right in front of the cabinet you need to get into.

It's like a sixth sense they have to just "Be there" at the most inopportune times..

Oh and it's not just kids, spouses do it too.......what is the TERM for that.....other than annoying and inconvenient.
Pests and if they're in my way they get put to work. Pest1 can rinse the dishes, Pest2 can dry, Pest3 can put away, etc.
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I don't know but it's some kind of damn syndrome because my kids did it too.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ha Ha - this brings back memories. When my DD was an adolescent she would literally step directly into whatever space I was about to enter. Content collisions in the kitchen and hallway. I used to tell her she was like being in a school of fish - whichever way I turned she abruptly turned the same way and occupied the same space. Now I miss that!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My kids do the same thing. They like to say it's because I required them to be within eye-sight first five years of their lives so they're just paying me back! They're adults now and I STILL have to say, "JUST GO!!".
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic